Parents Clear hip to kip (HELP)!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Cloe Forner

Proud Parent
Ok, so DD is 16 and she wants to get to Excel Platinum. She is not confident in her bars at all... says its her weakest event. She needs to get her clear hip to a kip consistent before she can move up (hoping to move up this season). As of right now, she is doing the clear hip from standing on two blocks. HC is trying to get her to kip from the clear hip (want to point out that the clear hip is a make or fail skill right now, as she just learned it this week). The problem is she's tall; 5 ft. 4. So as you can imagine her feet always hit the floor while trying to kip from the clear hip. Now in her regular kips (low bar) her feet never touch the floor, so I guess all the power from the clear hip is making it hard to hold up her feet? This is a new skill to both her and me, so any tips would be greatly appreciated! This is super important to her and she wants to get it so bad, I just don't know how to help her.
Thank you! :)

The kip from a clear hip is slightly different to the glide kip as you have to bring your toes in towards the bar (after the clear), then out again to kip. Can your daughter do 3 or 4 kips in a row without her feet touching the floor?

I have the kids work lots of connected kips, we don’t usually do the clear hip until they can do 3 kips in a row, so they usually then trace the strength and technique to kip out of it.

I also like to work the clear hips in the low strap bar. Kids fear flinging off and this really helps.

The kip from a clear hip is slightly different to the glide kip as you have to bring your toes in towards the bar (after the clear), then out again to kip. Can your daughter do 3 or 4 kips in a row without her feet touching the floor?
Honestly she hasn't even practiced connected kips (maybe once or twice). The times that she did them her feet did hit the floor, except for one time. Her struggle on the last clear kip, kip was her not extending in the glide from the clear hip. So she had no power to kip from that. Thanks for your response!

That makes sense! I guess she really needs to work on conecceted kips without her feet touching. Unfortunately, we don't have a strap bar but that does make sense for the fear factor. Thanks! :)
I have the kids work lots of connected kips, we don’t usually do the clear hip until they can do 3 kips in a row, so they usually then trace the strength and technique to kip out of it.

I also like to work the clear hips in the low strap bar. Kids fear flinging off and this really helps.

What also helps with the core strength is not just kip cast kip but also drop kips because you have to keep those toes close to the bar and kip back up with less momentum. I think the girls that did better with drop kips also did better kipping out of a free hip.

What also helps with the core strength is not just kip cast kip but also drop kips because you have to keep those toes close to the bar and kip back up with less momentum. I think the girls that did better with drop kips also did better kipping out of a free hip.
Yeah, that makes sense. Do you have any tips for the drop kips (like how to shift the wrists faster)? DD really struggles with shifting her wrists on the drop kips. She's done so many attempts but she's never made one. :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back