Parents Clinic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A local gym near is is holding clinics for specific skills. Tonight is bars.
My DD wants to make it consistent to the high bar. She has it but again it’s just getting it consistently each time.
Anyone is allowed to go member or not - obviously non members pay a few bucks more.
Is it frowned upon to go to another gym for a clinic session?
I wouldn’t think so.
We arent looking to switch its just an opportunity. Kinda like our gym does for open gyms for anyone as well when they do have them.

As a gym owner I would not allow any of my team kids to attend a clinic at another gym.

It’s hard to know the safety and quality of the program and it may not fall in line with the training plan set out for each gymnast.

Ref kids are different, so I’d check with your gym first.

Of course, check with your gym for their opinion.
Years and years ago, there was a gym a couple of hours away offering a kip clinic. We had 4 girls from our team attend (our gym was closed for "summer break" = July).
When we got there, we recognized girls from 3 different teams in our "network" ... but their teams were a lot closer to the host gym than we are.

Are you talking about jumping to the high bar? If that's the skill, as a coach, I would not want my athletes to work that at another gym, with another coach. We work on that in a specific, progressive way, and it really scares me thinking of sending someone who isn't consistent on it to go try in a different setting, on different equipment, with a coach they don't know. I air spot every single one of our Xcel gold kids their first jump to high bar at a meet warm up, and stand between the bars even while competing.

If you are talking about a high bar (long hang) kip, and your daughter has been jumping to high bar comfortably for a long time, I would be less concerned. With kips, sometimes another coach might have a cue or way of putting things that does just finally click.

why would a gym not want one a gymnast to get better? If a clinic is available and they don’t want you to go, it sounds like they’re scared to lose a gymnasts money to me.

why would a gym not want one a gymnast to get better? If a clinic is available and they don’t want you to go, it sounds like they’re scared to lose a gymnasts money to me.
Lots of gyms have specific skill progessions drills that they do. They also might have drills and certain techniques they don't like.

Number 1 reason is safety. There is a great variation in standards of gyms and coaching. Many gyms will allow kids to do skills without mastering the proper prerequisites age without doing suitable drills. When a gymnast is it ready for a skill age they do it, they are likely to compensate with poor technique leading to injuries and very hard to break habits.

We have very carefully planned sheets S for our gymnasts, mastering A before B age so on. Throwing a spanned in that can lead to kids developing mental blocks as well.

Number 1 reason is safety. There is a great variation in standards of gyms and coaching. Many gyms will allow kids to do skills without mastering the proper prerequisites age without doing suitable drills. When a gymnast is it ready for a skill age they do it, they are likely to compensate with poor technique leading to injuries and very hard to break habits.

We have very carefully planned sheets S for our gymnasts, mastering A before B age so on. Throwing a spanned in that can lead to kids developing mental blocks as well.

A local gym near is is holding clinics for specific skills. Tonight is bars.
My DD wants to make it consistent to the high bar. She has it but again it’s just getting it consistently each time.
Anyone is allowed to go member or not - obviously non members pay a few bucks more.
Is it frowned upon to go to another gym for a clinic session?
I wouldn’t think so.
We arent looking to switch its just an opportunity. Kinda like our gym does for open gyms for anyone as well when they do have them.
Everyone can learn something from someone else saying the same thing in a different way. We should be in the business of helping children enjoy their life in gymnastics and getting better no matter who they get it from.

Clinics are great, but they need to be safe and genuinely helpful, and that’s harder when there’s nobody there who knows the history of the gymnast and their current skillset.

My daughter’s region runs regional clinics, sort of like masterclasses. They arrange some ‘master coaches’ from other regions, and coaches from some local clubs with a specific skillset and they devise a day program. Teams attend WITH their coach, and it’s a chance for the teams and coaches to be exposed to new ways of doing things in a safe and controlled manner.

As others have said, just ask your coach. Our team handbook specifically spells out to ask before attending another camp/clinic from another gym or organization. Mostly the college clinics are ok, summer camps are ok, but I doubt they would like us to go to a nearby gym's clinic.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back