Parents Clothing for Gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sevenatenine2

Coach
Proud Parent
I would love some ideas of clothes my eleven year old can wear to school.

She has lived in Justice "jeggings" for about two years. They do PE in their school clothes and she likes to be able to move in her clothes. She has some sensory issues with clothing but has out grown most of them, although she still prefers the Justice jeans with the knit waist to buttons. She is wearing the appropriate size in the jeggings.

Anyway, she has grown in the past few years and has developed what I affectionately call a gymnast butt rather than the straight up and down shape that she used to have. She looks very cute, but I have noticed she doesn't look like the other kids when they wear the same type of clothing.

Earlier this year, she told me that a boy told her he likes the way her butt looks when she does handstands. :eek: She quit doing handstands at recess after that.

On Friday, she told me that two of the girls in her grade are saying that she wears tight clothes everyday (it's just the jeggings---and one day she wore her gymnastics warm up capri pants with a long shirt over them), her shirts are usually tshirts or button downs that aren't tight.

I am trying to get some ideas where she will be comfortable and be able to do PE and also avoid people commenting on her butt! In the summer and early fall, she lived in the jean shorts with the knit waist and we were okay, but jeans are posing a bit of a problem!

We have the same exact issues. DD is so small but she is also very muscular and "baby has back". She will only wear justice leggings or workout spandex pants and it doesn't leave much to the imagination. We just try to pick longer shirts with it. She has texture issues when it comes to jeans so I am not sure there is much more we can do. I could never understand how she wears a leo for so long (even leaves it on while she does her homework after a 4 1/2 hour practice plus the 1 hr commute time) and then complains about comfortable jeans.

DD just turned 7, so we haven't had any comments yet, but I can see this in her future. She will only wear leggings or work out pants. We try to have her wear more long shirts or tunics, but her favorite recess activity is doing handstand holds :rolleyes:

We are actually having a real issue with this right now and our solution is the pants where you can tighten the waistband....we are getting the larger size because of her backside, and tightening the waist. It's wild, but it works.

Mine lives in sweatpants. She hates jeans or anything at all constricting. And she breaks out in hives walking anywhere near Justice.

I think if my DD were getting such comments, I would encourage her to tell the commenters off for being rude. Well, maybe not. She is already quite proficient at dagger stares and eyerolling. One of DS's teammates seems to be trying to flirt with her of late. I fear for him.

I agree with prof mom. The commenter should keep his comments to himself, your dd should not be worrying about her butt.

As a yardstick, ask yourself what would happen if it took place in a work environment. If you leant over a desk to reach a paper, and a male colleague said he likes the way your butt looked, would it be acceptable? Just because they are 7 the same behaviour shouldn't be acceptable.

So either you need to teach your dd to challenge the boy, rather than stop handstands. I'd also ask the teacher to have a class chat about not making comments on anyone else's body, positive or negative.

Yep. Inappropriate comment.
We don't do Justice here...little too expensive for us...but leggings at Cost Co are a deal. :)

We can't afford the real justice either, I have to stop by tj maxx whenever I have a moment and see what they have in. Sometimes you get lucky, it is usually only the black leggings though. Luckily those are my daughters favorite.

DD has this problem too. It doesn't help that she is 13 but wears a size 10 in pants. Pants that work best for her are JC Penney's athletic line (Xertion? don't remember the name), Zella (Nordstrom's line of athletic wear) and Ivivva. The last two are quite expensive but Zella is usually on sale during the twice yearly sale and I stock up. I won't buy Ivivva but DD has managed to get them through gift cards. I must admit that while they are very expensive she has been averaging 18 months or longer for the pants she has. Children's place yoga pants worked for her up until this year.

Another gymmie with a serious jeans aversion.... She has TWO pairs of jeans (both skinnies with a good amount of Lycra) that she likes. Everything else I gave away, she just wouldn't wear them. She mostly wears leggings and yoga pants. She wears cute skirts over leggings a lot, if no skirt then she wears a longer top or tunic over them.

Thank you, all.

Yes, the comments are beyond inappropriate. She is new to this school and has had no problem making friends. That's the good news. The bad news is that it is a small school and the fact that she is new and getting a lot of attention has earned her two enemies among the girls (those saying she wears her clothes too tight, etc.). I'm hoping once she's been there a little longer it will all (both the attention and the comments) die down.

She has outgrown a lot of Justice clothing but since the jeans have fit well, we've gone with it. It's so hard to find clothing that she likes and fits well.

For those that find them to expensive: I usually agree, but try to stock up when they are on sale. They're $20 dollars now, which is a little more expensive than Old Navy, but not too much--and worth it for us because of the knit waistband and stretchy jeans. http://www.shopjustice.com/girls-cl...ys/20-jeans?icid=HP_sub6_stylebuyjeans_111015

I will try to invest in some more long shirts. Tshirts have worked pretty well up to this point! I appreciate all the help!

Thank you, all.

Yes, the comments are beyond inappropriate. She is new to this school and has had no problem making friends. That's the good news. The bad news is that it is a small school and the fact that she is new and getting a lot of attention has earned her two enemies among the girls (those saying she wears her clothes too tight, etc.). I'm hoping once she's been there a little longer it will all (both the attention and the comments) die down.

She has outgrown a lot of Justice clothing but since the jeans have fit well, we've gone with it. It's so hard to find clothing that she likes and fits well.

For those that find them to expensive: I usually agree, but try to stock up when they are on sale. They're $20 dollars now, which is a little more expensive than Old Navy, but not too much--and worth it for us because of the knit waistband and stretchy jeans. http://www.shopjustice.com/girls-cl...ys/20-jeans?icid=HP_sub6_stylebuyjeans_111015

I will try to invest in some more long shirts. Tshirts have worked pretty well up to this point! I appreciate all the help!

It's super "in" at my daughter's school to wear skirts or dresses over leggings/jeggings. Granted they are a uniform school but they can also wear pants or shorts, just a lot of girls choose not to. I wonder if your DD would wear a skirt over her leggings? Though I hate to see a kid choose their clothing because some bully is bothering her. My DD had a boy make an inappropriate comment to her about her body and I was beyond livid. I can imagine how frustrating this must be for her and you. :(

My DD sounds just like yours, just a little younger. Also has P.E. frequently and wears mostly athletic clothes to school. Lives in Justice jeggings (always in a capri length because they don't come slim enough in the waist, even in slim sizes), leggings, and those athletic tights in different patterns all the girls are wearing. I have sent her back upstairs to change at times when I felt particular leggings were too scant to wear 'as pants'....

She does also have some less clingy pieces - sweatpants and 'joggers' - they have the elastic cuffs at the lower leg and are less clingy in the hips/rear. Like these.. http://www.uniqlo.com/us/girls/sweatshirts-and-sweatpants/sweatpants.html
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/gi...122.html#02~/girls/bottoms/pants/warm-lined/~

Also, she has short skirts in cotton/easy fabrics that she can wear over the leggings for more coverage.

And we did find some thing at Uniqlo that in photos are reminiscent of those pants created for little old ladies, but look cute on my daughter. She has to wear the capris or just have the long ones be capris as the waist isn't quite slim enough in a full length size, but the ones she have look really cute.
http://www.uniqlo.com/us/girls/bottoms/leggings-pants.html

We have ( well , I wish it was we, but just my daughter) have the small waist muscular legs and butt problem. She's 10. The jeans that work the best are Joe's jeans. You can buy them at Nordstrom, but they usually have them at Nordstrom Rack too. Nordstrom Rack online often has sales on them. They are super soft with only a tiny amount of lycra. My daughter also loves Ivivva, so I have been buying some Ivivva stuff on ebay because if she's going to get it at the store she has to pay half.

Try Zara, River Island, H & M & NextClothing- they all have supe-cute tween stuff & good sales!

While the comments are inappropriate, I also understand the issue of finding the most appropriate, proper fitting pants for a gymmie. My dd likes the Levi denim leggings. They still look like jeans, but are stretchy but aren't over tight.
http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-19...leggings-girls-7-16.jsp?color=Tailored Indigo

As well, we buy skinny or super skinny jeans form Justice, not the jeggings as they are too skin tight, but the skinny jeans end up fitting more like jeans, the only issue is the lack of adjustable waist, the waist is always too big. Why is Justice the only company that doesn't put in adjustable waists?

I do find that slim styles don't not work from most companies, as they are often too small in the butt and thighs.

I do like the option mentioned above too, a skirt over leggings.

Ah, the never ending clothing issue. We fight this all the time as my girls have similar fit issues. One other option for jeans is Abercombie & Fitch's kid line. Not sure how well they will work with the sensory issues but they do have the adjustable waists. My 15 year old really likes them so we watch for sales.

Iviva is also a huge favorite but yes, it's expensive. She asks for gift cards for holidays and birthdays to get things. She practically lives in her pants and capris from there. Thankfully, they seem to very sturdy. I love the fact that they will hem them for free! We've also had good luck with H&M's kid line as they use the European sizing which gives a bit more flexibility with fit than the standard US sizing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back