Club vs. HS Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

high school

My dd switched from club to high school this year and loved it. It was so much less intense for her, and her coach really emphasized having fun. She continued to progress at a higher rate than she would have had she stayed at her gym. She competed better than she did last year and her vault and bars are quite a bit stronger. The media was all over her and her success simply because it was a high school sport. It is amazing that she did so well because her practice time was cut in half. She did not have the injuries she had at club and not nearly as many aches and pains. My opinion is that the club gym regimen just broke her down too much to be effective. The best part: She is much happier, it costs me nothing, and she now feels like she truly belongs to the high school, and is having a normal teenage life.

Last edited:
In our state alot of the Club Coaches are also the HS coaches in their cities. My dds coach is the Club AND the HS coach. She has to seperate the club girls from the hs girls as they are not allowed to even practice together even though there is one gym. Which mainly leaves the club with the level 4s and 5's that are not in 7th grade. Meanwhile the 7th graders who may still be a level 4 in club get to perform to their ability level and show their skills and get experience showing a routine that is not compulsory which helps them show off their compulsory routines better. Of course our level 10 gymnast is also the HS AA Champion the last 3 yrs in a row and she just changes her routine after the HS state meet (adding difficulty) does 1 USAG meet to qualify for state then does the USAG state meet. In our state you get more recognition from hs gymnastics than USAG so technically the better the girls do at hs gymnastics the more PR the USAG Club gets.
Here is the rule in our state:

E. Non-School Team/Individual Participation
A gymnast who is a member of a high school team
may not participate in gymnastics during the same
season on an independent or non-high school team
or as a member of any “All-Starâ€￾ team, or
completely unattached on an individual basis. This
regulation also pertains to membership on noncompetitive
groups such as a performing club. No
exhibition performing is allowed unless sponsored
by the schools.

Last edited:
We dont have any HS gymnastics around here. Bummer! I would have loved it in HS. My daughter competes thru a club.

i see you're from wisconsin what school??? i was not surprised to hear that your school team got cut so many team are combined in wisconsin hs gymn its crazy.

doing club gymnastics is a lot better than high school. because you are alot safer in club than high.. and you get better training and with club you can get alot more scholarships than high school

Woah, I didn't even know they HAD high school gymnastics in America until I joined this site. Definitely not in my state. Besides, there are like 2 or 3 girls total at my high school who do gymnastics, so we would be swamped with beginners who think floor cartwheels would be enough to win.

So I don't have any idea how it works. Sorry for posting.

The Club coach quoted in the article is located a short distance from where I live. It's nice to know that if Katy decides that she wants to do both, she could always switch over to his club!

I looooved doing high school gymnastics. I was never a very good gymnast, even though I worked really hard at it, so being able to compete high school gymnastics was very rewarding. My HS coach let me do whatever I wanted because I was still going to my club every day and she was too busy with all the newbies to coach me much, so I think I spent almost as much time coaching as practicing. But at the HS, we only had wrestling mats, so I didn't tumble in practice anyway.

I went to a private school, but I am lucky in my state if you go to a private school and they don't offer a sport you can do it for the public school you are zoned for (if they offer the sport).

High School Gymnast

I used to be a club gymnast when I was younger, I chose to quit (mistake) but there was no going back because I grew so much after I quit. I moved and the high school i switched to had high school gymnastics! I was sooo excited. I made the team and it was really fun but I didnt make much progress. Its off season now and its really hard to just jump into competiontion season. The club near my house wont let there gymnasts do high school gymnastics which is sad because that would make our team so much better.

Well in Australia HS gymnastics is not big at all, it's pretty much club or nothing and besides i think i would get more out of club as it is more serious and pushes me hard enough for me to improve so i wouldn't even consider going to compete for HS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back