Coaches Co-coach making girls quit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The head coach of the level 4 team (I'm the assistant) is mean. She belittles the girls, calls them lazy, works them to tears, and pushes too hard. After our last practice where we did an hour and a half of over splits and gravity pulls (on back in straddle split with weights on), one girl called up and said she was quitting. This is a sweet little 7 year old who was just pulled out of classes last September. I wish I could have prevented it. The head coach is only 19 and this is her first team. She's just learning, but I don't want it to be at the expense of the girls. Anything I can do?

Talk to the owner, this isn't cool. If that isn't going to work then I suggest you take the coach out for coffee and tell her what you know.

I would talk to the owner as well. 90 minutes of stretching as you've described it is crazy. I don't think she has a clue as to how flexibility training should be done, and at that level??? I'd love to see her put in that position with weights on her back for an hour and a half. I doubt she could get out of bed the next day and do even a cartwheel with-out major whining!!

talk to the owner as quick as possible before mutiny takes place in your program. very bad for business=you're out of a coaching job.

Clearly its important to discuss this, and have an open communication about it. I would first actually suggest that you talk to the head coach (whom you have a problem with). You need to bring it to their attention, and discuss it with them. If they are open about the communication and express that they are out of their depths, you can come together to figure something out (especially if you are more experienced or feel like you are able to lead better). If she is not accepting of your concerns, than you should bring this up to the owners/managers/higher ups and urge them to act quickly. Ask to be present if possible, so that your views are not misrepresented by owners (from personal experience i advise this)

If you bring it straight up to the owners, and you have to continue working with this person, it could cause conflict between you two, simply because that coach might feel betrayed by your action to go immediately to owners. Which will also effect the kids negatively.

In either case, if you can express your concerns to this coach first and gauge their reaction, you will be far more informed as to how to best proceed after that.

Talk to the owner. If that doesn't work, get out ASAP.

There's not much more you can do, unfortunately.

Sometimes a young coach (you said she was 19) needs a mentor. Is there an older/ more experienced coach who could offer tips? It seems that younger coaches slide into positions when they finish competing. Being a gymnast does not mean you will be a good coach. Her attitude may be a result of not enough education. Does your gym have weekly staff meetings or education? If not, they should.
That being said.....a coach should never belittle an athlete and since you are close to the situation it is your responsibility to bring it to the gym's attention.

Whoi's your head coach, who's the manager...do something

This is really hard. Is the coach good at what she does? Do you respect her? If you do, treat her with the respect she deserves and tell her that the way in which she coaches is making people leave the gym. Do you love gym or do you want the wider community talking about gym as a stupid sport to get children involved. If you want your sport to remain viable then you need to make it a sport that people want to come to. !!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back