Coaches Coach and parent question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello all, I am hoping to connect with other coaches who are also the parent of a gymnast. I am facing a dilemma and curious if anyone has been in this situation. I have been unhappy in my current employment situation for quite some time but have been staying because my children are happy and have many good friends in the gym. I am a very loyal person and don't want to be the type to move gyms locally and have athletes inevitably leave to follow. I have lost several coworkers who were good coaches who ultimately became too disgruntled to continue after not seeing needed changes with the management of the gym. I feel like I'm reaching the point at which I cannot continue to coach here, but as a parent with my own children begging to stay at this gym, I feel stuck. I have addressed multiple concerns and they have not been resolved. I'm concerned that approaching the owner with full transparency of my concerns and how seriously I am considering leaving is needed, because just talking about my concerns has been futile. I'm concerned this may offend the owner (complaints are about the owner) and may ultimately lead to my resignation. This would devastate my own children.
Has anyone been in a similar situation? Has anyone ever gone to an employer with concerns and put it out there that you need these concerns addressed because you are leaining towards wanting to quit over them?
I just want to be happy at my job and I don't want to end my own children's gymnastics careers. They do not want to switch gyms and I think leaving this gym could end the sport for us.

Tough situation, you say you have already lost several co-workers over this so it doesn't seem like its going to change whilst the current owner is still there. You don't say how old or what level your children are or whether there are other suitable gyms within driving distance? Also are you assuming that your children couldn't continue to train there if you left? How about if you left to pursue a "different" career, could they stay then? If your children are young how long are you going to be stuck in a job you are unhappy in if you stay?

I’m a parent and a coach. I’m not really happy with the club we train at but there aren’t many other options unless we travel quite far. I feel quite conflicted with giving feedback because they know they are the only show in town. I’m hoping that over time I can help to change it from inside by trying some of my ideas out. But if there was a club training gymnasts at a similar level within an easy commute we’d be there. I don’t know if that helps, maybe even just to know you’re not alone!

What age and level are your children? I think that makes a difference in the advice that people can provide.

Talk with the owner. It may end your time at that club… but I could never be a coach long term if I did not enjoy my job. If the owner values you… then you will at least be heard.

I coach 2 of my kids… my son goes to another local gym as we no longer have a boys team program.

Tough situation, you say you have already lost several co-workers over this so it doesn't seem like its going to change whilst the current owner is still there. You don't say how old or what level your children are or whether there are other suitable gyms within driving distance? Also are you assuming that your children couldn't continue to train there if you left? How about if you left to pursue a "different" career, could they stay then? If your children are young how long are you going to be stuck in a job you are unhappy in if you stay?
Thank you for the reply. I left information out intentionally to remain as anonymous as possible. One an optional and the other will be soon. I wouldn't allow my children to train there if I left for both safety and quality reasons. There are possibly other options but being in the area I have heard about some very negative coaching from several athletes and parents, which I wouldn't ever subject my children to. I would consider giving them a try but I don't have high hopes from the consistency of the stories I have heard.

I’m a parent and a coach. I’m not really happy with the club we train at but there aren’t many other options unless we travel quite far. I feel quite conflicted with giving feedback because they know they are the only show in town. I’m hoping that over time I can help to change it from inside by trying some of my ideas out. But if there was a club training gymnasts at a similar level within an easy commute we’d be there. I don’t know if that helps, maybe even just to know you’re not alone!
I understand trying to change from the inside. I have been trying for a long time. I have definitely turned some aspects around, but it has been exhausting feeling like the only one who cares, comes to work on time (or even comes in consistently) and puts in 100%. It's been exhausting having my concerns negated or ignored. I also feel a tremendous amount of guilt to potentially leave the athletes I've put so much into. I truly love the girls and I feel like I have just mentally exhausted myself hanging in there for everyone else's sake.

Talk with the owner. It may end your time at that club… but I could never be a coach long term if I did not enjoy my job. If the owner values you… then you will at least be heard.

I coach 2 of my kids… my son goes to another local gym as we no longer have a boys team program.
That's what I'm afraid of. I think it very well could, but my kids don't want to leave. I think we are all afraid to start over.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back