coach catch phrases

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The two things I say the most to the girls I coach are:

If you don't have time to do it right, you must have time to do it over.

Your legs are so far apart (insert name here) could dive roll between them.

I can't remember all the things the bar coach says, but I know when he gets annoyed with some girls he starts whistling "If I only had a brain"

If someone gets something right the first time he calls them "Rock star" or "state champion"

and if someone cries because they are afraid he says "there is no crying in gymnastics!"

Snowbound

We just started a boys class at the end of last school year, and we got a guy to coach them, and he's about 21-22 years old. A group of boys about age 8-12 were on floor and were distracted by the team girls on bars. The coach walks over and says "I know the girls are very interesting and I know them all, so if you want me to hook you up with at date talk to me after class. But right now they are busy doing gymnastics and you should be too."

Different variations of this speech are given almost daily when they're distracted by the girls. Sometimes he offers to let them join the girls class.

TumblerK - :D LOL. I've had to yell at my boys across the gym to quit flirting with the girls when they get chatty. It usually embarasses them so they get back to work.

However, I have to be very careful about this as only the older boys will not rat me out. Little guys have no loyalty sometimes. One of the other team boys and I would say this to one kid and he spread a rumor about me and another of the coaches by telling the girl he had a crush on about it. He broke the man code and the other boy and I told him he wasn't privy to any more secrets anymore. Figures that he would as he grows up with too many girls in his family.

Getting back to the topic, when I catch the boys watching the other girls classes, I tell'm we can find a pretty pink leo they can wear and join if they'd like and they can bring a tootoo as well.

Banana Back

C'mon grandma...Run!!

One gymnastics...Two gymnastics... (I now catch myself counting like that all the time):p

And the best, when one of the girls eats mat..."awww(insert name) has a new boyfriend named Mat! "

Last edited by a moderator:
When one of the gymnasts makes a correction and then says something to the effect of "Wow, that was easy" or something like that, one of our coaches always says (sarcastically of course) "Yes, I lie to you everyday". It's so funny when someone hears it for the first time and just gets this blank look on their face (the "what are you talking about?" look).

catch phrase query

I would have to say my favorites are:

1 Call the stewardess I think I need one of those bags!!!
( for really awful tricks)
2 Were vaulting not chasing butterflies.
If problem persists
Thats was better now it looks like the butterflies are chasing you.
3 Ill say something positive when you do something right.
and lastly ...
4 This sport is full of could of beens, but youve never heard of them. Be memorable.:cool:

I just realized mine on Monday. When my girls are loose as a noodle rather than telling them squeeze your ________(butt, legs, tummy, all of the above) I just say "Squeeze Something!" because most of the time squeezing any of their muscles is progress.

Gymnastics is easy! Training is hard.

Don't just do something, stand there!

One, two, thirty-five (lift).

...I'm sure I let a lot of junk slip out and I don't even realize it... Funny thread...

One phrase that my coach has for the compulsary beam routine is for the part just after the leap where (I hope I can explain this) you bring arms in front and up while bending the leg you are standing on, then your arms go to the sides and you straighten your leg (I hope somebody understood that). Anyway, she would always say, "There are no stop signs in gymnastics", or something like that if your hands were flexed, like stop signs for a traffic person.

With the level 4 beam routine, the part that gets them cracking up is "swing, swing, turn *pause* I'm a fishy!". But they all KNOW that part now.

(leg swing, weight transfer turn, finish, fish pose)

our beloved bar coach gets very annoyed if anyone cries because of something minor. He says "I think we might have pampers up in the preschool room" or "do I need to call a Waaaaambulance?"

Snowbound

"go, go, GO, GO ALREADY"
"Hollow"
These next few are best imagined in a Russian accent
"Aye yae yae..."
"Oi vey..."
"Why you do that ?"
"Let's go ladies."

We have a lot of the ones listed already but lets see what else

*the 1 gymnastics, 2 gymnastics counting is big
*we're not having Italilan for lunch so get rid of the spagetti arms (or legs).
*your moving(jumping, running) like your stuck in Jello finish desert and lets get back to gymnastics
* I want to see kangaroo bug squishing jumps

Haha! This thread is great.

We have a saying that whenever the girls do a vault where they land on the vault on their stomach - we call it the "Shamoo vault"

If they fall off the beam - we ask them where they're going. The point of beam is to stay on the beam.

"oopsi-doodle!" --> after someone messes up.

And our decision making process for everything is "Rock paper scissors" No words need be said - just assume the RPS playing stance! It is funny how serious matters are solved over a silly game.

I think that "1 gymnastics 2 gymnastics" counting is pretty much a universal gymnastics method!!

"Is that a pike, straddle, or tuck? Make up your mind!"
"I'm an old guy and I can do a better chin up then that!"
"Lean forward, like you're trying to kiss the highbar." (kip tip)
"This is a straddle jump, not a toe-touch!"
"Keep your arms by your sides; you look like a scarecrow!"
"If you land on your knees instead of in a squat... I'll... CUT OFF YOUR LEGS!" Makes the little kids scream and giggle.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back