coach catch phrases

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I started coaching the pre-team level in my gym at the beginning of summer, which is the same level I was at when my coach who coached me up through level 6 first started coaching me. I earlier this week I caught myself telling my girls "I could drive my car under those splits" and "My grandmother could cast bigger than you" which my coach used to tell us all the time at that level.

Do you or your coaches have any amusing phrases that they use all the time?

I've heard a coach say that the girls look like "flying squirrels" when they jump to the highbar.

Use of the highly technical term "noodle"

Counting "one gymnastics, two gymnastics" etc for everything...I pretty much have done that in my head for all applications most of my life, but it really works in a gymnastics gym.

If you had a brain it would be lonely!
If you leave this gym feeling happy I am not doing my job properly! On the brink of suicide is what we want here!!
One day someone will take you to the zoo and leave you on the other side.

Then we had a list up declaring "THE RULES OF THE MASTER LEGEND THAT IS MOI"
1. I am always right.
2. If I am wrong, refer to rule 1.

:D

Last edited:
Coach JP "dont eat lunch on the vault"
Gymnast RK "but i already made reservations"

and also something about eating twinkies on the vault

A few that get used a lot at my gym:
"Coaches lift gymnasts, gymnasts lift mats."
"I don't want to see your taco."
"I have better splits [leaps, jumps, ext]. And I'm old."
"You're running like a linebacker again."

A coach heard saying to a gymnast with poor posture, "OMG! When is that baby due??? Stand up straight and hold in that stomach." ...

Use of the highly technical term "noodle"

Counting "one gymnastics, two gymnastics" etc for everything...I pretty much have done that in my head for all applications most of my life, but it really works in a gymnastics gym.

They do this at my DDs gym. She will come home all excited because she held her handstand for XX number of "gymnastics". :D

hehe I use a few of those!

Mainly:
"My Grandmother can run faster than you, even with her zimmer-frame"
"I could drive a bus through those legs" (when doing something with legs apart when they are supposed to be together)
"It's a good job you're not a boy" (When a gymnast straddles the beam - makes them laugh instead of cry!)

All said in jest, and they know it!

"Did your ears migrate to your knees?" (reminder to keep their arms by their ears. One told me she was a katydid so yes, they in fact did. Ah, kids)
They count to "I Love Gymnastics" in all their handstands
There are no knees in gymnastics!
Up is that way *point*. (this one gets giggles like crazy)
"swingstension" and "leapful" are, I think, Coach Goofy neologisms-swingstension is what we're going for in glide swings, and of course our leaps need to be big and leapful.
Draw a circle over your head with your toes.
For backhandsprings-Throw your toes at the ceiling-which I got from MY coach.

In general: "HEY! that helped? So once in a while gymnastics coaches do know something? Wonders never cease!" (I think that one was from my old coaches too.)
and of course
YOU are the boss of yoru feet. You tell them where to go, or else they will tell you where to go (for beam mostly).

"Am I speaking Swahili?" - My coach Nikki, whenever we aren't listening to her. :D

"Someone get the water!" - This is a joke on the novice team. You know how sometimes you'll just bail on a vault and kinda belly flop, or hug it? Well my coach compared that to being a beached whale. Hence the quote.

And the usual "my grandma can run faster than you, and she's dead!", etc.

I love my coaches. :D

ok so this isnt really a quote, but its something we always tease our coach about. our coach was in the olympics, and so we were listening to her comment at a college meet on tv, and she always said balance check instead of a wobble on beam, which we normally call it, and so now every time she saiys the word wobble, we always say "Dont you mean a balance check?" it can be quite amusing!!

Do work!

Our coach would give us assignments and not care in which particular order we did them. If he caught one of us standing around he'd say 'What are you doing? Go do work!' Eventually it shortened to 'Do work!' We always did what he told us, but if we started taking advantage of the freedom to decide when to do it he was all over us!

Mine had TONS xD They did the whole 'i could drive a bus under your splits' 'my grandmother can do that better than you, and she's dead' (!) etc. too... and we always had 'fail to prepare, prepare to fail', and for tuckbacks 'bum to the moon!!'
There were endless amounts... though my current coach has a better one... if your legs aren't tight she's like 'ew, your legs make me want to vomit all over myself' !

haha i found it amusing at the number of my grandma can do that better etc.

one of my coaches particularly liked my dead grandma with one leg could do better than that..

but our personal favorite was..

here in america... we point our toes or whatever thing we weren't doing correctly.

I :heartbeat: this thread.

My coach always used to say, " Suck it up, buttercup!" The boys love this one.

Another one I like is, "C'mon pretty pretty princess" or just "Let's go princess". This is a good one to tell boys.

My dad likes to say " When in doubt..." be a man or suck it up, or remember why you're a man, etc.

Of course there is the " Are you sure you're a man? Do you need to check?!"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back