Coach Coming to Gymnasts' Events Outside of Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

katielou

Gymnast
Hi, I'm new to Chalkbucket!

My name's Katie and I'm 15 years old. I started reading Chalkbucket a while ago, but I didn't make an account until now.

I am also a coach for our gym. I work mostly with the younger levels (1-3, bronze-silver) but I also coach open gyms and family gym times (same as open, but for littles and their parents). This doesn't seem important now, but it will in a bit.

At 15 years old, I am a sophomore in high school. In addition to competing as a level 6 gymnast, I also participate in other activities outside of gymnastics. I spend a lot of time working on school work (one of the top in my graduating year), and am also a dedicated musician, playing both piano (8 years) and flute (2 years). One of my favorite coaches always tells us that having a life outside of the gym is important, and it's one of her main values. Because of this, she often likes to come to events that gymnasts are participating in, outside of gymnastics. I know that she's attended dance recitals of two little girls (sisters, aged 4 and 7) and also other sports games and matches (gymnast age 12, level 5). I invited her to attend a piano recital of mine that's coming up in a few months.

However, I've gotten a lot of parents come to me and say that inviting this coach is inappropriate and she can't come (I have no idea how they even found out about it, honestly). Apparently, they are under the impression that because I'm a "kid coach," I can't have one of my "superiors" come to an outside gym event due to the rules of Safesport. I know the rules of Safesport and I understand why they are in place and their importance, but I've also read the rules thoroughly multiple times, and I don't believe that this violates them. I have also contacted the HR Department and the Head stated that whatever happens outside of the gym is not their problem.

Do I soothe the parents' worries by withdrawing my invitation to this coach, or do I simply let her attend anyways (given that the rules allow)?

Hi Katielou, I am unsure of USAG’s and your gyms policies on this type of behaviour. Any rules they have in place will be to protect the athletes wellbeing.

Chalk bucket policies are that you must be at least 16 years of age to have an account and post here though. So you will need to wait a little while to be a member.

I thought the age requirement was 13.

Has this changed?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back