WAG Coach Education

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

berrisweetness

Coach
Proud Parent
When coaches attend training camps who pays for it or who should pay for it. Os that part if the responsibility of the boosterclub or the gym/owner?

It depends. It benefits the gym to have better coaches but the gym should have the choice of what training/who gets the training, I suppose. I wouldn't assume the gym should pay for whatever training I might feel like getting. If the gym wants me to upgrade my training because they want me to move into other areas, then they should pay for it. It will still benefit both the gym and the coach (gym will have better coach, coach will have better education). I think also it could be a matter of longevity. I think a gym would be more likely to pay for further education for someone they have every reason to believe is there for the long haul vs someone they think will probably leave in a year or so (college etc)...
ETA: for training camps that coaches accompany gymnasts to, it's partially the gym and partially the booster club here (such as the Texas TOPs camps etc). It does benefit both the gym and coach still, and obviously the gymnasts cannot go alone. The coach(es) should definitely not be out any personal costs. Hope that made sense!

Here in the uk coaches either pay for it themselves, or the club/region will pay but you work it off in coaching hours.

Each course is over £600 though.

For us, we (the gym) pay for all our coaches to attend all upgrading. It is compulsory in Australia for all coaches to get points from things like attending seminars in order to maintain their coaching accreditation. If it doesn't happen they aren't allowed to coach in this country, so we pay for it.

It varies a lot and depends on the club. In my current club the coach pays 50% of the course and the club pays 50%. In my previous club the club paid IN THEORY but no one was actually sent to any courses - we were always told that it's not a good time now because the club has some money problems. The club provided it's own courses for rec coaches and they were free. In my first club everything was paid and you could go almost anywhere you wanted - that's the only club that actually educated me (if you don't count the judging courses that I took later and which were paid by the clubs that I represented) BUT in the first club coaches were volunteering so nothing was paid for the coaching. I think that my current club provides the best deal - they pay me well for coaching, pay for judging courses and for judging and pay 50% of the other coaching education.

I agree with others - It varies greatly from club to club.

Our club used to pay (around 10 years ago) but then all of our coaches were voluntary so the club didn't have to pay wages. However, we had 2 occasions when we paid for a volunteer coach to become qualified and they then went to work at other clubs where they could get paid (!)

We now pay all of our coaches (Level 1 and up).
Our County sport partnership do fund part of it and our BG Region fund some - but you have to apply for this and it's not particularly well advertised - it's also not guaranteed. The coach pays the full amount and then applies for funding which is often granted on completion of the course and after the coach has put so many hours in with their club.

Thats just the cost of the courses what about their travel expenses, food, hotel and of course they want to get paid for each day they are there, that starts to get expensive. Owner doesnt want to pay for ANYTHING for the gymnastics. Feels boosterclub should pay all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back