Coach/gymnast ratio

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

After nearly 6 months off to rehab some overuse injuries, our daughter has decided to go back to gymnastics (insert happy dance here!). We are not taking her back to her previous gym and will be interviewing other gyms in the area to find the best fit for her. I know alot of what to ask and look for since she has been competitive for several years but there is one thing I'm not sure of - what is the proper ratio of coaches to gymnasts for optionals? Any other advice is also welcome!

Thank you!!

At my gym we have 6:1 for the optionals, although we have a couple injured girls right now who don't "really count" because they're only doing bars and conditioning. It's usually more like 7:1 or 8:1, occasionally higher.

For compulsories, I had 12:1 for a while in my group, which was pretty hectic. It meant 3 girls to a beam during drills which was a pain, but the coaches were pretty good at setting up drills and stations to keep practice running smoothly the rest of the time.

We have maybe 20 Optional gymnasts and 3-4 coaches. They divide up in groups, so no more than 8 in a particular group with a coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back