WAG Coach/Gymnast Ratio

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just because I'm curious...what's the standard coach to gymnast ratio by level? Does USAG have any guidelines for it, or is it whatever the coach can handle?

For our gym, it depends on the level and ages. I see 8-10, usually, with one coach, give or take 1-2. For boys...it is however many show up!

We try to stay at 8 to 1...but this is just total. We may have one group at 12 and one at 4 with two coaches...still 8 to 1.

Also...due to meets...vacations...illness...etc......we may have a total team ratio of 10 to 1 on Monday and a 6 to 1 ratio on Wednesday. It averages out to 8 to 1 also.

This is just they way we do it...others do it differently.

Last year we were 14:1. Parents weren't very happy, even though we were state champions and we're getting great training.
This year we are 7:1 the extra personal attention is nice! :)

Well, I am in a very small T&T gym, but we have 2 coaches and about 20-25 athletes, from the lowest competitive level (provincial 1 in canada) to senior elite athletes. everyone has the same coaches although one focuses on the lower levels and the other on the higher levels (about level8/9+)
its always a little chaotic but it works really well. the only days it doesn't are when a new warm-up is implemented and people dont know who to avoid doing what.

At my DD's gym, her team has 16 girls. They have 2 coaches. On top of that, depending on the day and the event they are working on, they often have another coach helping as well. But the 2 well be the ones who attend meets with the girls, etc.

All I'd our compulsory teams have approximately the same gymnast/coach radio.

We have about 10 optionals and they have 2 coaches as well.

My DD gym has 3 coaches and 15 kids. This is for optional levels 7-10. The coaches we have are basically event coaches (one does bars the other vault and floor) and then the head coach over sees all events with primary focus on beam and bars.

Gym 1- one coach for all of xcel (31 girls), with training groups of 5-7 at a time (at least for platinum)

Gym 2- at least six coaches that I have seen for L4/5, girls train mixed levels in a group of about 14 or so, broken in half for rotations, with two coaches per group. We have been there two weeks, so still feeling this one out.

Gym 3- there are 5 coaches for the whole gym, rec and team. The t&t L4-6 team practices in a group of 6-10 with two coaches per practice.

Not from the US but I assume it doesn't differ tremendously over here.
6:1 is ideal to me, however that rarely happens! Anything from 8:1 to 12:1 is normal at my current club/gym. Stations are key when the gymnast/coach ratio is on the higher side.

DD's gym is 13:1 all the time and it does not seem very productive (lots of standing around waiting for equipment, etc). Even compulsories, though, which is capped at 8:1 has a lot of standing around (but those girls are much younger and perhaps not as able to work independently). I posted the question because I wasn't sure what the ratios should be, or if there was even a guideline (as there are with schools, which limit the student:teacher ratio).

In our gym, it is generally 6:1, but this is all dependant on attendance. Sometimes we may have one group with 3 girls with 1 coach and other groups may have 7 girls with 1 coach! The girls get TONS of routine repetitions in during each practice and the perfect amount of personal attention!

At our gym, the lower level coaches strive for training groups no bigger than 6. As they progress the training groups get larger, but the number of gymnasts per level gets smaller. My L2 dd goes 1.5 hrs 2x per week plus an optional 3rd day for 1 hr when I'm there with her sisters. Her groups vary in size from 4-8 because parents can choose from a few options the schedule that works the best for their family. There are fewer options at L3 and up. My L1 daughter trains 1hr 2x per week.

We are in the Uk

My youngest dd's ratio is 7:1
My oldest dd's ratio is 8:1 when training as a mixed boy girl group (once a week) and 3:1 when training is girls only (twice a week), boys ratio is 5:1 (twice a week). This is an elite group (I think) and the ones that are old enough are gong to National Squad tryouts at the end of the month (Junior Squad as all are under 16).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back