Coach Issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So i started at this gym two summers ago and they had just hired this new director. Well, she turned out to be a real jerk and she got fired. Then they looked for another one and there was this amazing coach that tried out for the job, and they didn't hire her!! I was really mad along with some other girls, and the gym ended up hiring one of the coaches that has worked at our gym for a long time. Problem is, she hates me, i hate her, and she's MEAN!!! She makes me so mad. She can't spot anything right, and she has no sympathy for us. She tells us good job after everything we do, even if it was horrible. It really makes you wonder when you did a truly good job. Our coach said at a parent meeting that he would be coaching us the entire season, but he coaches the highschool team which has the same competition season as us. AKA he isn't coaching us and we are stuck with the coach that none of us like. But all the people on the board like her, and she is the director, so i don't think they will be firing her. So we are stuck with a coach who can't spot us, lies to us, and we all hate. Oh, and by the way, i've already had a warning from her, and if i get two more, i'll be kicked out. So in other words, i could really use your help in how to deal with this coach.

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your coach.

Have you spoken to your parents about it? Is there a possibility of you moving gyms?

I think the best thing to do is to speak with your parents about why you dont like this coach. I doesnt sound very safe - especially if the coach isnt spotting correctly.

Good luck!

There aren't any other gyms within like an hour and a half, so i can't really go to another gym. :( I think my real coach will be back when the competition season gets over, and i probably won't be working many new skills until then. It shouldn't be a huge problem, and he is there while we practice sometimes, so if i need spot, i will just drag him over. :) Jk, but if i try hard enough, i could probably get him to spot me if i need it.
Thanks for the ideas!!

well, i'm officially annoyed with my coach. She took over the gym on the first of the year, and she isn't any better than before. I thought that she might step up to the job when she actually started, but no such luck. So i have been looking at going to a USAG gym so i can compete usag and hopefully get a scholarship. Well, i'm doing some new skills, and she is spotting me on them because my other coach is out of the gym or with highschool most of the time. Anyways, i can do a double flyaway by my self, and i just like to have someone standing there incase anything silly happens, so i had her stand there. Well, i did my giants into it, and she tapped me so hard on my first giant, that i just about flew off the bar on top! Then she did the same thing on my second giant, and then on the flyaway! When she threw me up on the flyaway, she killed my rotation, and i landed on my hands and knees. And ya know what she told me?? She told me it was good! I'm sitting there thinking "She almost killed me!" and what does she she say?? "Good" Thats her answer to everything. "Good" You could land on your head, have the worst form, and not even do the right thing, and she'd still say "Good" (She's done it before). She never tells you what to do to make it better, or what you are doing wrong, even if you ask. So we end up telling each other, but when your the only one in the gym doing that skill, your kinda out of luck!
Also, when she spots layout stepouts on beam, she throws you up crooked and then justs watches you fall to the floor. Then she says, "Good."
So all in all, i guess she's just not a good coach for my level. She can't spot the skills, and she doesn't tell you what to fix. So one of the two girls that i carpool with is really mad at this coach and wants to leave, but the problem is that the nearest gym that is deacent is an hour away. So i don't know what we're going to do, but i really don't feel safe with her spotting me.

[/quote]Also, when she spots layout stepouts on beam, she throws you up crooked and then justs watches you fall to the floor. Then she says, "Good."
So all in all, i guess she's just not a good coach for my level. She can't spot the skills, and she doesn't tell you what to fix. So one of the two girls that i carpool with is really mad at this coach and wants to leave, but the problem is that the nearest gym that is deacent is an hour away. So i don't know what we're going to do, but i really don't feel safe with her spotting me.[/quote]

Sorry I chuckled when I read about her throwing you up crooked and then watching you land on the floor and say good. But otherwise, I don't know how old you guys are, if you're in driving age, but if you three carpool, then maybe you can all take turns driving to the gym that is a little further away? If you really feel THAT unsafe, then you shouldn't put yourself in danger, b/c if you don't trust her, then you're not going to trust yourself, and you will be more likely to get hurt that way. Or maybe take time off until the regular coach comes back?
I am sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time with the coaches. Perhaps you guys can all get together, and speak to gym management about your problems with the coach as well? If its not just you having issues, than there are other issues at hand to deal with. Good luck!

We can't drive yet, but i think that our parents would agree to driving us somewhere a little farther away. I have been trying to be able to get to a gym thats farther away so i can do USAG gymnastics, and it'm thinking that here's my chance. Also, my coach won't be coming back. He coaches the highschool team and he only started coaching us because there was absolutely nobody else that could do it, and he won't even be at the state meet! I'm just hoping that after this year i will get to go to another gym. Hopefully.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back