WAG Coach Issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

superNova08

Coach
Gymnast
So I've had issues with this one coach at my gym for a while. Being disabled, gymnastics is slightly difficult as there are some things I simply can not do. We mainly work around this, but this coach refuses even to try. A while ago, I was on beam when my heart rate got too high, and I felt like I would pass out. I asked if I could sit down and she said no. I went back to beam but then turned white and passed out according to my BFF on the team. Now, at practice last night, a myriad of things occurred. Normally this coach only does my beam, so we work around most things. But my regular coach was out last night, and the coach that was supposed to fill in for her also got sick. So this coach ended up having us the whole time. At the beginning of practice, I was one of two girls that did all of the conditioning all the way without complaining. But we went to vault. Which we weren't even supposed to do on this day. For some reason we do a vault over a block - I am Xcel gold, so I use a table - and I always over-rotate, so I am exempt from the station as I consistently sublux if not dislocate my knees upon landing as I always fall forward. This coach decided I was going to do the station. But this time instead of catching myself with my arms, they would stay by my ears. So I did that. And promptly faceplanted. She wouldn't let me stop though. I probably did this about 10 times in a row before my kneecap ended up on the side of my knee. I had to go wrap it and then I was done at that station. Next, we went to beam. We warmed up as usual - no issues whatsoever. I thought I might finally have a decent beam rotation. I finished everything and was then told to work front walkovers on a line on the floor. Now, I'm not supposed to do skills involving a consistently arched back due to a back injury. But upon hearing this the response I got was, "Well you don't know until you try." So I tried. The first time I did it, there was a crunch in my back and horrible pain. I told her this and was told to keep going. So I did. I did about 2 or 3 more before I was in tears and could no longer feel the bottom half of my right leg due to swelling. Only then did she allow me to stop. I was then told to do handstands. Which I did, but felt it was pointless and I have an impeccable handstand. What do I do? I wrote a strongly worded email to the Xcel director in hopes she can help me, but I don't know if it will work. How do I get this coach to listen to me?

So I've had issues with this one coach at my gym for a while. Being disabled, gymnastics is slightly difficult as there are some things I simply can not do. We mainly work around this, but this coach refuses even to try. A while ago, I was on beam when my heart rate got too high, and I felt like I would pass out. I asked if I could sit down and she said no. I went back to beam but then turned white and passed out according to my BFF on the team. Now, at practice last night, a myriad of things occurred. Normally this coach only does my beam, so we work around most things. But my regular coach was out last night, and the coach that was supposed to fill in for her also got sick. So this coach ended up having us the whole time. At the beginning of practice, I was one of two girls that did all of the conditioning all the way without complaining. But we went to vault. Which we weren't even supposed to do on this day. For some reason we do a vault over a block - I am Xcel gold, so I use a table - and I always over-rotate, so I am exempt from the station as I consistently sublux if not dislocate my knees upon landing as I always fall forward. This coach decided I was going to do the station. But this time instead of catching myself with my arms, they would stay by my ears. So I did that. And promptly faceplanted. She wouldn't let me stop though. I probably did this about 10 times in a row before my kneecap ended up on the side of my knee. I had to go wrap it and then I was done at that station. Next, we went to beam. We warmed up as usual - no issues whatsoever. I thought I might finally have a decent beam rotation. I finished everything and was then told to work front walkovers on a line on the floor. Now, I'm not supposed to do skills involving a consistently arched back due to a back injury. But upon hearing this the response I got was, "Well you don't know until you try." So I tried. The first time I did it, there was a crunch in my back and horrible pain. I told her this and was told to keep going. So I did. I did about 2 or 3 more before I was in tears and could no longer feel the bottom half of my right leg due to swelling. Only then did she allow me to stop. I was then told to do handstands. Which I did, but felt it was pointless and I have an impeccable handstand. What do I do? I wrote a strongly worded email to the Xcel director in hopes she can help me, but I don't know if it will work. How do I get this coach to listen to me?
Personally, I find this literal abuse. A coach is there to guide you, not FORCE you into doing things your not comfortable with, let alone the fact about your injuries. You passing out is entirely that ‘coaches’ fault. It’s a good thing you emailed the director.

This might just be because I’m a bit outspoken, but what I would do is be extremely direct. Don’t be rude of course, but incredibly firm. Tell her everything about your condition, and how you CANNOT risk doing certain moves just out of common sense. Be direct and try your best at explaining.

I hope your situation improves! Having a bad coach can really suck, and makes gymnastics feel way less fun, if not downright painful as in your case.

UPDATE:
So this coach pulled me aside last night because she was pissed that I had written the email to the Xcel director. She told me that if I have an issue with her to just go directly to her. And then she said that she wants a doctor's note stating my conditions and what skills I can and can't do. She was ripping into me. About 5 minutes in - after practice was over - I said that I was sorry but I did not have the capacity for the conversation and needed to leave. She called me immature. She said she will continue the conversation with my mother - who she was supposed to speak with first. I'm just upset because this is the second coach ever to make me cry in public - third coach ever to make me cry. She's also the only coach at the gym who has an issue with me. Always mad when I need to sit due to high heart rate or when I can't do a skill. Isn't the point of Xcel to be able to be flexible? I though the point was that I would be able to be accommodated. I love gymnastics but its becoming an unsafe environment for me emotionally.

Personally, I find this literal abuse. A coach is there to guide you, not FORCE you into doing things your not comfortable with, let alone the fact about your injuries. You passing out is entirely that ‘coaches’ fault. It’s a good thing you emailed the director.

This might just be because I’m a bit outspoken, but what I would do is be extremely direct. Don’t be rude of course, but incredibly firm. Tell her everything about your condition, and how you CANNOT risk doing certain moves just out of common sense. Be direct and try your best at explaining.

I hope your situation improves! Having a bad coach can really suck, and makes gymnastics feel way less fun, if not downright painful as in your case.
The problem is that she's the only coach in the gym with an issue. When I joined the gym we informed all the coaches on my condition. Nobody had a problem. Supposedly she's the gym manager too. Which makes it worse.

Not saying in any way that what this coach did is right, the way you were treated is horrible, but if I were coaching a gymnast that had as many physical problems as you've described I would be demanding a doctors note stating what it was safe for you to do. Having someone who could randomly pass out any time their heart rate gets high is a huge liability to a gym, as someone who has POTS I understand how it works, but I also understand that even a reasonable gym owner or coach who didn't understand the condition would want to know from a doctor exactly what they are dealing with before allowing that athlete to continue practicing at their gym.

Not saying in any way that what this coach did is right, the way you were treated is horrible, but if I were coaching a gymnast that had as many physical problems as you've described I would be demanding a doctors note stating what it was safe for you to do. Having someone who could randomly pass out any time their heart rate gets high is a huge liability to a gym, as someone who has POTS I understand how it works, but I also understand that even a reasonable gym owner or coach who didn't understand the condition would want to know from a doctor exactly what they are dealing with before allowing that athlete to continue practicing at their gym.
Then why was this not stated when I joined the gym? I don't usually randomly pass out. I know how to control my heart rate - just sit, and I wear a monitor at all times. If this coach truly wants all of these notes then I think she needs to find doctors that have knowledge in gymnastics. And the only thing a doctor will say is not to do skills that cause pain.

Quite frankly, it should have been addressed when you started at the gym. You just stated you passed out at the gym. Any time an athlete passes out, no matter what the reason, it would make perfect sense for the coach/ owner of the gym to require clearance from a doctor for that athlete to return to practice. And assuming you have a doctor that is treating your POTS the note would state that you have a condition that requires that you be allowed to sit down if your heart rate gets too high in order to prevent fainting.

The fact is, YOU DID PASS OUT.
Does she need a note to tell her what happened right on the gym floor?
That is absurd.
Yes, definitely get together a doctor's note. That's a smart idea. But nothing you do going forward will help you with this individual. The note is for future coaches.
You did the exact right thing by going to the Xcel director. This person cannot be trusted to listen to you or take your physical safety into consideration. Why would you speak to them first? So they can berate you?
If your guardians can get involved, please let them do the talking from now on.
And this coach is a liability lawsuit waiting to happen. Tell the owners so they can protect themselves.

That is absurd.
Yes, definitely get together a doctor's note. That's a smart idea. But nothing you do going forward will help you with this individual. The note is for future coaches.
You did the exact right thing by going to the Xcel director. This person cannot be trusted to listen to you or take your physical safety into consideration. Why would you speak to them first? So they can berate you?
And this coach is a liability lawsuit waiting to happen. Tell the owners so they can protect themselves.
Oh, I totally agree with this; I was not trying to defend the coaches behavior; they were totally in the wrong; I just know as someone who has had POTS for more years than OP has been alive, having a doctors note explaining what is going on is a must have. I'd also say to OP if you feel like you need to sit down, sit down, no matter what someone else tells you; much better to piss that stupid person off than to risk hurting yourself.

UPDATE:
So this coach pulled me aside last night because she was pissed that I had written the email to the Xcel director. She told me that if I have an issue with her to just go directly to her. And then she said that she wants a doctor's note stating my conditions and what skills I can and can't do. She was ripping into me. About 5 minutes in - after practice was over - I said that I was sorry but I did not have the capacity for the conversation and needed to leave. She called me immature. She said she will continue the conversation with my mother - who she was supposed to speak with first. I'm just upset because this is the second coach ever to make me cry in public - third coach ever to make me cry. She's also the only coach at the gym who has an issue with me. Always mad when I need to sit due to high heart rate or when I can't do a skill. Isn't the point of Xcel to be able to be flexible? I though the point was that I would be able to be accommodated. I love gymnastics but its becoming an unsafe environment for me emotionally.
It’s seems it’s become emotionally AND physically unsafe where this coach is concerned. She’s probably one of those ‘tough’ coaches who think pushing you will help you improve. Yes, pushing can help improve, but not if the child you’re coaching literally FAINTS (not to mention all the other things you mentioned in the post, and your condition!
If a doctors note is what she wants, give it to her. Try your best to stay out of trouble with her, but don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself. A coach should never NEVER make you cry, unless it’s tears of happiness. Some people are literal crap. I hope the best for you, as I partially know what this feels like. Not to an extreme level of course and in your case but at any point…… it hurts.

And, just for reference, is it just you she has an issue with? Or is there anyone else?

Oh, I totally agree with this; I was not trying to defend the coaches behavior; they were totally in the wrong; I just know as someone who has had POTS for more years than OP has been alive, having a doctors note explaining what is going on is a must have. I'd also say to OP if you feel like you need to sit down, sit down, no matter what someone else tells you; much better to piss that stupid person off than to risk hurting yourself.
Absolutely. I was referring to the coach's absurdity at requiring a note after it happening under her watch...as if she didn't believe her.

You did the right thing in writing to the director. Here's what you should do next:

Write an email to the coach respectfully summarizing what has already happened (as you did here), and why this is unsafe with your disability. Copy every single person above her on the food chain. Program director, gym owner, etc. End it with something like "in light of all this, I no longer feel safe working with [coach]."

Also, look for other gyms in the area.

(If you feel like going scorched-earth on this coach, you can find out what company provides the gym's liability insurance and copy them in the email as well -- it's probably not a good idea, but it's also probably what I'd do in that situation. This will pretty much guarantee the coach gets fired, but also may have repercussions for you as well)

Last edited:
If you are on here you are old enough to just refuse to do things that hurt you. Do not do this stuff.

Quite frankly, it should have been addressed when you started at the gym. You just stated you passed out at the gym. Any time an athlete passes out, no matter what the reason, it would make perfect sense for the coach/ owner of the gym to require clearance from a doctor for that athlete to return to practice. And assuming you have a doctor that is treating your POTS the note would state that you have a condition that requires that you be allowed to sit down if your heart rate gets too high in order to prevent fainting.
I don't have a doctor specifically treating my POTS as it does not interfere with most of my life. Would my pediatrician be valid for this?

Is it possible the gym will see the athlete as a potential liability? Is that legal?
Yes, absolutely the gym could be seeing this athlete as a liability, and it is 100% legal to refuse to train her. In this situation ADA accommodations do not apply, and even if they do the gym would have a good argument that the accommodations this particular athlete needs are not deemed as reasonable due to the nature of the sport of gymnastics. This is another reason why a thorough letter from a doctor stating exactly what is safe for the athlete to participate in is so important and should have been presented before the athlete started at the gym.

That is absurd.
She is the gym manager and I've never even met the owner. My mom said she will speak to the coach - though she was supposed to speak to the coach Monday or tuesday.

I don't have a doctor specifically treating my POTS as it does not interfere with most of my life. Would my pediatrician be valid for this?
Yes a pediatrician would be valid. Though, if you are fainting, even infrequently it would really be helpful to get to a doctor who specializes in POTS. Especially since you are also dealing with EDS, finding a good cardiologist is going to be vital in improving your quality of life long term, even if you don't feel like you need it now.

Last edited:
It’s seems it’s become emotionally AND physically unsafe where this coach is concerned. She’s probably one of those ‘tough’ coaches who think pushing you will help you improve. Yes, pushing can help improve, but not if the child you’re coaching literally FAINTS (not to mention all the other things you mentioned in the post, and your condition!
If a doctors note is what she wants, give it to her. Try your best to stay out of trouble with her, but don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself. A coach should never NEVER make you cry, unless it’s tears of happiness. Some people are literal crap. I hope the best for you, as I partially know what this feels like. Not to an extreme level of course and in your case but at any point…… it hurts.

And, just for reference, is it just you she has an issue with? Or is there anyone else?
I seem to be the only one. I'm also the only one who has limitations though. She's also the only coach who as any issues with any of the girls. I'm also not the type of gymnast to say I don't want to do something just for the sake of not doing it. I always respectfully do everything I am told, and I don't really require much coaching as I can feel when I do things wrong and correct them. Standing up for myself is extremely difficult for me. I have extreme mental health issues - gymnastics is basically my only solace at this point. I don't use any communication style other than passive. Trying to improve upon that though.

Yes, absolutely the gym could be seeing this athlete as a liability, and it is 100% legal to refuse to train her. In this situation ADA accommodations do not apply, and even if they do the gym would have a good argument that the accommodations this particular athlete needs are not deemed as reasonable due to the nature of the sport of gymnastics. This is another reason why a thorough letter from a doctor stating exactly what is safe for the athlete to participate in is so important and should have been presented before the athlete started at the gym.
We sat all of the coaches down when I joined and gave them a comprehensive presentation along with papers stating what I could and could not do. Nothing from doctors, but all signed by my mother and I. I have yet to find a doctor that knows enough about my conditions and gymnastics to write a letter.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back