Parents Coach parent relationship

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Been at a small town gym for about two years and I was with seeing what most gyms are like with parent coach relationships. I personally just drop my seven year old off for team and come the last ten minutes to talk to parents and say hi to coaches.
Just wondering what the boundaries are with coaches. What is too much to talk to them. I was told most gyms that the parents don’t really have access to the coaches unless there is a huge problem. Just wondering if that is a normal thing.

I have seen a range of relations and interactions where some coaches who avoid parents, opt to talk to only certain parents, and others who are quite social and talk to everyone.

It can depend on a few variables - personality and the culture of the gym are the main drivers. At my DD's gym I talk with the coaches about everyday stuff (small talk) and a few sprinkles to inquire about how things are progressing toward the next meet. I try to limit the conversation to before or after practice so it does not interfere with training.

I am hopeful that if there is a concern the coach will approach me if there is a problem like a mental block but I also hope they let me know of major accomplishments the athlete makes. Personally, it is good to find a balance when speaking to the coaches so it is not just "shop" talk.

I have found that at big gyms, parents usually don't interact much with the coaches, like you said, unless there is a problem. However, in my experience, at smaller gym parents usually have a closer relationship with the coach. Honestly I think that talking to your child's coach is totally fine as long as you are not distracting them from their job or coaching from the stands.

I will add to the above and say coaches and parents are both people, so you may be friendlier with some than others. I try to know every parents a little bit, but there are certain parents I consider to be more like friends! More often with preschool, sometimes the parents are actually my friends from another circle, so I talk to them more than others.

I think there is an inverse relationship between how old/level and how chit-chatty/friendly you are with a coach. I have seen myself change from when my daughter was a little level 3 to teen level 10. It's only natural when you have a little 6,7,8 yo to talk with coaches seek feedback, culture friendships with coach. By the time your DD is a level 10 and teen, I think you have begun to realize that at that level you are almost in a "job" situation and the parent/coach relationship you seek evolves to something more like that. Feedback when I need it, responsive to my questions, invested in my daughter. That's not to say it's not friendly and there aren't social interactions outside the gym, it's just different

I am friendly with our coaches and we will chat about their kids, lives, etc. Sometimes conversation about progress comes up, but it’s just as likely we are talking about an upcoming vacation or something similar. I trust them teach my kid and know they’ll bring anything up I need to know.

This is a great point. I could definitely see relationships changing as kids move up levels and get older and start to handle more of their own things.

At my daughter's old gym, there was no communication. I think a lot of it was cultural. I never felt put off when I approached the coach with a question, but I usually got very brief answers and no extension of the conversation after that. At her current gym, the coaches are very proactive communicators. I rarely ask questions because I don't need to. The coaches use email, FB group and text (from a work cell). Details such as cost, schedule, gymnast expectations/plan and seasonal schedule are clearly communicated, and I feel very comfortable reaching out for clarification. I haven't abused that or felt the need to ask about her progress. But they also have parent meetings which help. Most of my questions are really logistical because I have multiple kids and work/home school. I am so much less stressed knowing that information will be shared with me when it's available.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back