WAG Coach question??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have never posted before but love the entertainment and knowledge gained from others. However, I have a question for any coaches or parents on what is acceptable.
My DD is a second year level 9 and a freshman in high school. She dreams of being a college gymnast. Last year a coach tells her that they were not worried about bonuses- or harder skills so they didn't let her work blinds. This year I'm told by new HC of her team- this year he isn't concerned with her doing blinds( I'm thinking will this not guarantee her a 3rd year of 9? ). Getting frustrated and tired of hearing DD complain I start getting concerned and realizing comments are being made regarding how young she is, she has plenty of time to get to ten.. Etc. I've heard this through 3 years of 7 , level 8, first year of nine with nothing changing. My 9 year old level seven has gone from being baby faced to now a mature young lady but they are still claiming she is so young and the elderly owner looked shocked when I told her how old she was... Didn't know she was in high school(we only had two level nines mind you) However, reading all your posts on college process, hearing advise from other moms, coaches, gymnast who are in college, etc. I learn that it's common to have a meeting with your coach to touch base, make sure they are aware of goals, find out where she stands, find out if they think college is option (and to make sure they know her age mainly)
I ask our also elderly male coach who is a super great guy if I could set up a meeting. He was instantly irritated- flat out told me there was no need she was doing great. He walks away. As we are leaving gym(I also help out there so I'm one of last ones leaving). I tried to explain further why I wanted to talk to him. This did not go well. I realized quickly this was a bad idea. He tells me she must make it to nationals and place well to be considered for advancement to ten. This confuses me since it was not a requirement for her best friend to advance- but I don't argue I'm just trying to soothe his rant and figure out if I'd done something wrong by asking for a meeting. I ended with thanking him for great coaching and appreciate what he has done for her.. Only to have him rant to kids throughout the night about being approached by a mom. My child knew exactly which mom which made her feel very awkward.
Sorry for long post- is it normal to touch base with a coach concerning plans, goals, progress? Or was I just given label of CGM for requesting a meeting?

yes, it is normal from time to time. AND she should ALREADY be working on blind changes at her age. Skills are not about age, but ability and readiness. level 9 is about that time for most kids.:)

I'm sorry OP. To me, it seemed perfectly normal to want a meeting about your DD's future. I'm blown away he would go out and complain to the girls about a "parent". It's in our gym rules you don't talk about parents, other gymnasts, or coach's in any derogatory way. If you have a problem, it's discussed privately with affected parties. I would be highly annoyed too, and in no way does that make you a CGM. Just curious, how many times have you requested a meeting at this gym, and how long have you been there? It doesn't really matter, IMO he still reacted horribly, but just wondering.

First meeting ever requested. She has been there since she was five. I've cooled down this morning- chalking it up to his age. I'm still very concerned ok im still very annoyed- I'm thinking he he was angry enough to talk to the kids- no telling what he told the owner- who is even older than him and believes all patents are CGM's. Ha

So in almost ten years, you request one meeting, and get that kind of reaction....there really aren't any words. It's a good thing they know gymnastics, because their customer service skills are rotten.

My daughter started training/learning blind changes at 9 years old, she was only a level 7. She needed it for skills TOPS testing. She is now a level 9 and there are two other level 9s in her team but the HC has not trained blnd changes on the other two. I don't know why. I am just a mom. So, I do not know how important it is or how hard a blind change is. I don't even know if a blind change will be incorporated into my daughter's bar routine or if she can do it well.

You don't sound like a CGM and as parents, we need feedback from coaches from time to time. Lack of communication lends itself to second guessing the coaches and unnecessary concerns. If you are worried, you should try to discuss it with your daughter's coaches. I found that coaches are not accessible because they are usually coaching when a parent comes to them. And this can be distracting to the coach and could get them agitated. Try to show up early before practice and be direct and concise with your questions. General questions will be met with general answers. If a college scholarship is what your daughter is after, she seems to still be on track. You could be in L10 for 6 years or 2 years, and have the same results. It seems like blind changes are a concern to you, so ask the HC about it. Ask them if she is on track for L10 next year.

I hate it when they act like this. We are on gym number three for this very reason. It seems all too common in gymnastics that the coaches really could not care less about customer service and really treat the parents like (explative deleted). Finally we have great coaches at the newest gym and I am scared for down the line based on what I have heard of the "communication skills" of the upper level coaches. i don't think you requesting a meeting was doing anything wrong at all, you are right to be angry.

Send him an email or letter so you can get all of your thoughts "out there" for him to consider before he cuts you off with a rant of some sort. Indicate that you have an expectation of a response in kind.

I'll "second" dunno's sentiment that her progress and chances to learn new skills should not be based upon her "need and age", but rather her ability to learn. It's the learning aspect of gymnastics that makes my world go 'round because I believe that most of the kids, especially at L9 and above, are there for that experience as well as the other things that go along with being on a team.

GTM,

You said your dd dreams of doing college gym, but that covers a very wide range of options. Is her goal a gym scholarship or would she be willing to 'walk on' if invited to do so? Is she interested in D1 schools only, or is d2 an option? My dd, like yours, was L9 as a freshman in hs (she got her blind change that season), and also did L9 as a sophomore and made it to L9 Easterns both years. She moved to L10 for her junior and senior years and made regionals both years, but never nationals. She received no scholarship offers but did get several 'walk on' offers and is now doing D1 gym as a walk on. Based on what my dd has experienced, it would appear that your dd is on the right track.
Good luck to you and your dd.

GTM,

You said your dd dreams of doing college gym, but that covers a very wide range of options. Is her goal a gym scholarship or would she be willing to 'walk on' if invited to do so? Is she interested in D1 schools only, or is d2 an option? My dd, like yours, was L9 as a freshman in hs (she got her blind change that season), and also did L9 as a sophomore and made it to L9 Easterns both years. She moved to L10 for her junior and senior years and made regionals both years, but never nationals. She received no scholarship offers but did get several 'walk on' offers and is now doing D1 gym as a walk on. Based on what my dd has experienced, it would appear that your dd is on the right track.
Good luck to you and your dd.
That sounds incredibly successful and yet no scholarship offers?

Thanks everyone! To answer your questions- yes our gym is a joke in customer service dept. If I had faith in gym- I'd prob not feel as inclined to meet with coach to see if she was on track. But in the south- not a lot a gym choices without driving 1 1/2 + one way. Since we live in the south and is a fan of all SEC of course D1 is her first pick- but I think would be willing to walk on prob with a disappointed dad. Our lives are full of privates from anywhere we can get them to stay competitive. Yes that gets old. Thanks for taking time to respond. I feel better knowing I wasn't asking some unheard of request.

That sounds incredibly successful and yet no scholarship offers?

Acknowledging gymdad2's daughter's successful gymnastics record, it is incredibly difficult to get a gymnastics scholarship. At a minimum, those that get scholarships make it to nationals and are usually the top finishers. Qualifying for regionals certainly shows proficiency and requires a 34 AA score but since colleges don't have unlimited funds for scholarships, they want more. You will almost need to be an elite caliber gymnast to get scholarships. I read somewhere that only half of all L10 gymnasts will be able to compete in college gym. Can't remember where I read this or if it even accurate.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back