Parents Coach question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm wondering what other parents would do in this situation. I have a daughter who is a level 2 who is 8. She actually said yesterday after competing that she feels like her coaches don't like her. They spent the meet scrolling on their phones. They even were posting about private lessons on the gym's page. There was no encouragement or correction given. They even left before awards.

This has been an ongoing issue. This has occured at other meets but not to this extent. There is a child in this level that is a bully. Multiple parents have complained and nothing has been done. Leotards are being chosen for next year's competition season and parent input is not even taken into consideration. Practices have coaches sitting on the sidelines talking while the girls run through apparatuses without any real help or correction.

Is this normal? Am I expecting to much for the $200 I paying per month? Should I start looking for somewhere else? Or is this just normal gym coach behavior?

As for the leos- some gyms take no parent involvement, in others the parents are highly involved. That one would not worry me.

As for the coaches - RUN from that gym. They should be highly involved with every step of the process of practice. I would seek out other gym options ASAP.

For reference good coaches do the following:
- spot kids during skills - correcting each part of the body to get proper form
- watch skills for each kid to provide corrections
- appear happy (most of the time) to see your child
- stay for awards when they can (sometimes our coaches have another session to coach...)
- handle bullying quickly - removal of the bully if necessary
- find fun ways to include holidays, birthdays, events, etc.
- encourage gymnasts with positive words along with the corrections
- your child should look forward to gym time.

It is normal for the parents to not be involved in the leotard selection and for coaches to not always stay for awards. It may be their only chance for a food break or they may be working the next session. Everything else that you described does not sound normal.

-coaches’ behavior is not normal
-we have zero input into leotards. That is normal. We sat near parents of gymnasts at this year’s “white leotard team” (there’s always one!) this weekend and talking to them made us felt great about our team’s leotards and our head coaches’ taste.
-$200/month is really, really cheap for a team program, so that might unfortunately just be the caliber of coaching you get for an affordable program
-our coaches are rarely at awards and usually take a quick break before the next session or are already coaching the next session

The coaches overall behavior is unacceptable. However, many gyms don't ask parent input on leos. I don't see that as a red flag. And its common for coaches to not stay for awards. Often they are working all weekend - and have to go to another session, or grab a quick meal/break, or head back to the home gym to teach classes.

-coaches’ behavior is not normal
-we have zero input into leotards. That is normal. We sat near parents of gymnasts at this year’s “white leotard team” (there’s always one!) this weekend and talking to them made us felt great about our team’s leotards and our head coaches’ taste.
-$200/month is really, really cheap for a team program, so that might unfortunately just be the caliber of coaching you get for an affordable program
-our coaches are rarely at awards and usually take a quick break before the next session or are already coaching the next session
Yes! Our gym would revolt if they selected all-white or white-bottom leos!

Is this normal?

It's not normal at a good gym. I would have a meeting with the Owner / Head Coach and see if they can correct things before the end of season.

Am I expecting to much for the $200 I paying per month?

No... however... the gym may be running the wrong business model to give you more. How many hours per week are you getting for the $200/month?

I would discuss this with the gym owner, they may not be aware their coaches are doing this.

As a gym owner if I let my coaches know that the gymnasts has expressed they did t think the coaches liked them because if this behaviour, they would be devastated and I’m sure it would change their behaviour. I hope your coaches are the same.

I have never heard of a gym giving parents input into a leotard. But here in Australia you keep the sane Leo for many years. You have to register your gym colours and Leo design with Gymnastics Australia.

$200 per month is very cheap! How many hours is that?

My daughter has had a few different coaches over the years and I don’t think any have stayed for awards, from level 3-10. At first it surprised me but now that I understand how busy meet weekends are for them, and how they really are not focused on awards / placements (they are focused on the quality of gymnastics), I think it’s absolutely fine that they don’t stay.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back