Coaches Coach teaching "wrong" elements in routine - help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

bigtiny

My daughter is trying a developmental 4 team at a new gym. I have two older daughters who have already competed level 4, and I am studying to become a judge. The coach is teaching the girls the level 4 floor routine, and there are two parts in the routine that she is teaching them that are wrong. I have checked and re-checked the USAG book (which I have because of studying for the judge's test) to make sure that there aren't optional ways of doing things, etc. that would explain it. She is just mistaken.

I'm not sure what to do. I have always been one to let the coaches coach and let the parents parent. I don't coach my kids at home. I do not like to interfere with the coaching. What do I do? Should I say something to the coach? Should I say something to the gym owner so he can talk to the coach? My daughter keeps trying to do the routine the "right" way, and the coach "corrects" her into doing it the wrong way.

I really don't want to offend anyone or cause problems, but it seems to me that the gym would want to be teaching the girls the right routine. I'd like the advice of some coaches about the best way to handle this difficult situation.

Thanks.

I would approach the coach as a judge not a parent. Explain to them what you see and what can be done to make it better. It's all about the way you present the information to the coach. Hopefully they are secure enough to take some constructive criticism.

Um...you can't really approach anyone "as a judge" if you aren't, in fact, a judge. Just having a JO compulsory book doesn't make a person a judge.

How about sitting back and letting the coach and your child learn? Maybe even let them make mistakes?

Text errors in a Level 4 routine are about the easiest things to fix.

Do judges come in to evaluate the kids at some point before they compete? Maybe they may catch any errors...or maybe they aren't even errors, but stylizations which Tom Koll couldn't care less about.

If this is already an issue at Level 4, what is going to happen at Level 10?:eek:

Don't stress it is actually more common than you would think. It can be difficult for some coaches to interpret the routine exactly correctly, some coaches are not good at interpretting written text and they do make mistakes and 99 out of 100 are happy to have the feedback of a judge to ensure they are not making mistakes.

Come and let the coaches know and bring the text in to show them. I am sure they will be very happy to have the feedback from you rather than going to a compatitiin with an incorrect routine.

I don't think it's a big deal to say "I was studying for my judging test, and I the judging course I took showed the section of the routine done this way." I would absolutely mention it in a nice way. If I were a coach teaching something incorrectly, I'd absolutely want to know.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back