coach to gymnast ratio in practice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

what's the average number of coaches on the floor during practice? my daughter's gym usually only has 1 coach work with her entire level 4 team - 11 girls. That seems like a very low ratio to me and i'm wondering what's "normal."

Our boys' team will sometimes have 12-13 levels 5-7 with one coach. Sometimes there are 2, but sometimes when there are 12-15 level 4s or beginners, the other coach goes to help out there.

I would say between 8 and 10 gymnasts per coach (for team) would be ideal, but up to 12 per coach would still be within "normal" range. The older the girls, the easier to handle a larger number. So while we try to keep the preteam and level 4's at closer to 8 to 1, 11 to 1 is still within reason.

Well we have one coach until we reach 16 then you can have two coaches so in ideal world its 1:8 but sometimes it can be as much as 1:15 but most of us are older so we can do most of our program without a coach if need be

Mind you the NDP people seem to have about a 1:6or7 ratio with i think 4 coaches on the squad while we had 15/16:1 with 1 coach but that rant will come later.

WOW 15:1 that is crazy. We have a max of 8:1 for all classes. Right now my class is 5:1 but then again our gym is small, so there isn't as much equiptment as other big gyms have.

Our coach is fixing the 1:15 ratio at the moment as we have split the squad now so that its about 1:8

Our level 4s have 2 coaches and 14 girls. At level 5 there is one coach to 13 girls and level 6 has one coach to 12 girls. The optional girls have 2 coaches at all times with 23 gymnasts- down from 29 last year (due to graduations, recruiting from other gyms, injuries, and teenage priority changes.) There is a "floater" coach in training who helps where he is needed. He is an ex-gymnast turned parkour instructor that fits in great with our gym philosophy. He tends to work more with optionals and level 6s.

The gym does have to make enough money to survive, pay the coaches, pay the rent and utilities, replace the equipment and all the other overheads. In a perfect world the classes would be 6:1 but in the real world that just can't happen.

1:15 is not that bad, in school gymnastics programs you would usually have a ratio of 1:25.

Most of our classes work on a 1:12 basis, some will be less and some will be more. A good experienced coach can do more with 12 girls than a less experienced coach can do with 6 in the same time.

Because we have many more kids in compulsories than optionals, and because it's a little easier to run a compulsory practice than an optional one because everyone is doing the same things, we have much larger compulsory than optional groups. The ratio when I was a level 4/5 was about 12:1 or 14:1. It got a little dicey on beam, because you had to wait for your turn for a while, but the coaches found side stations for us to work on and we always stayed busy.

In optionals, we have a ratio of usually 8:1. Sometimes we combine our two groups and it's 15:2 or 16:2, which works fine in terms of coaching but creates a problem with the equipment. In that situation we have 4 different ways the vault needs to be set or more, 4 girls for each high beam, and issues with the bars because some girls need them in close and some need them out far. Tumbling's a mess, obviously. Luckily we don't have to do that often.

In compulsory, especially developmental I would prefer lower ratios. Optional levels can probably run on higher ratios but fortunately in most gyms, there tend to be fewer girls so it adjusts on it's own. I wouldn't want 10 kids, boys or girls, rec or competitive without ample space and equipment. 9-12 girls on one set of UB and a single rail is a pain in the butt. Fairly doable with 2 UB and a single rail and 2 coaches. If you crunch numbers, gymnasts just aren't getting a lot of dedicated time and coaching with 10+gymnasts. Figure an event is up to 60 minutes long as low as 20 and in between time like chalk, water, bathroom, setup and you'll see what I'm saying.

I agree that along with the ratio the amount of equipment is important. We have 2 floors- but one is typically used for rec and devo programs. The team girls have 5 high beams and 6 low/mid beams, 4 sets of bars along with the strap bar and pit bar, 2 vaults along with pit vault and level 4 mat vault. There is a tumble track(tramp) and a rod floor tumble track. There are separate beams for the devo/rec girls on the other side of the gym so as not to be a distraction to team girls when they are on beam. So even if there are upwards of a dozen gymnasts to a coach, they all have a place to be and something to be working on as opposed to waiting in line for a turn. All of the boys equipment is near the rec area with the exception of vault and high bar. We , sadly, have a very small boys program- so they are able to share space with the wild kiddos without much worry.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back