WAG Coach to gymnast ratio

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lynn

Proud Parent
I'm sure this question has been raised a time or two. But I couldn't find anything in my quick search.

What is a good ratio? If you have a team of 36 girls, how many coaches would be needed to maximize the potential and train the girls?

Thanks for any input. I'm just curious.

If topic needs moved to a different forum, please advise.

All 36 girls practice together? If so, I would say at least 4 coaches, preferably more. We usually have 2-3 coaches with practice groups of 10-15 girls.

Optionals I would think need even lower ratios. At least in compulsories everyone is supposed to be doing the same thing.

It's hard to know for sure what you have in mind. You say "maximize potential." If you're serious about maximizing potential, I think the ideal ratio is probably about 2-4 gymnasts at very similar levels with one coach so that they are all getting lots of reps but also a little time to rest, recover, and learn visually and by listening to others' corrections in between reps. That, of course, is not practical for most team settings.

If the question you're asking is really "what's a typical size for a workout group in a JO program?" you'll get a different answer. In fact, that's the answer you seem to be getting here. It's certainly possible to have 40 girls in a gym working out at once (or even more). Most gyms, however, will divide them into groups that rotate through events, strength, conditioning, etc. together with a coach or maybe two handling each group. DS is in a group of seven boys who will likely compete from L7 to L10 next year. DD is for the summer in a group of six girls, all of whom will compete L8 next year. Target size for groups at the optional level in their gym is around 8 athletes on both sides, who would then have one coach responsible for them. Sometimes DS's group combines with another group of about 7-8 guys and they all do floor together with two coaches. The Xcel coaches tend to have larger groups. However I know of a boys' program where the coach runs all his optional guys together at once, managing everything from the center of the gym like a ringmaster. They go I'm guessing about 16 to 1 when everyone is there, and the team on the whole is quite successful.

If the question you are really asking is, "Is my gym's training system dysfunctional?", then you should tell us a little more about how things work and many people will tell you what they think. Ratios are important information, but don't determine everything. :)

We like one coach minimum per event. So at least four. Depending on if we were doing vault or air track, it might require another coach.

Rec kids is 8 -10 to a coach depending on age. For Team...who ever shows up works with the coaches there. For instance boys today had 10 boys levels 5-9 with 1 coach. Girls had 12 girls level 7-10 with 3 coaches. It fluctuates, especially in the summer.

There are always at least 2 coaches with a team for practice. There are many practical reasons not even related to ratios. Sometimes there is a single team in the gym with noone else there for hours. Having 2 coaches is a safety issue as well as protecting the children and coaches from potential harm or accusations. DD's gym practices what the Scouts call two deep leadership - never a single adult alone with the kids.

Now, in terms of ratios, the largest team has 17 girls with 2 coaches. Sometimes they pull another coach who isn't busy to help with a particular skill. Last week there were several girls out on DD's team and had 2 coaches with 7 girls. She loved that practice and was exhausted afterwards. Typically though there are between 12 and 17 girls with 2 coaches. With lots of stations, this seems to work pretty well.

I was hesitant to use the word "maximize" because I want quite sure that's what I meant. Having just moved to our current gym about a year ago, I'm still learning their ways. I'm hearing this is the largest optional team the gym has had in a long time.

A little background info, would be more than happy to fill in the blanks, just ask away. We have 36 Optionals from level 7-10. 18 of which are new 7's and half season 7's. 2 coaches. Girls are on their own as far as conditioning and stand in line to wait their turn on each event. I am just curious as to how this situation compares to how others train teams. Is this productive kind of thing.

I hope I was able to profess my curiosity. Sometimes meaning and expressing into words isn't easy in the gymnastics world I'm finding.

Thank you all for your input.

We have 36 Optionals from level 7-10. 18 of which are new 7's and half season 7's. 2 coaches. Girls are on their own as far as conditioning and stand in line to wait their turn on each event.
These things, in my opinion at least, are less than favorable.

I think 2 coaches to 36 athletes is pretty rough. I could see it if the group was split in half by having 13 girls per coach, the coaches are really on their game, and if the athletes are hyper focused (which may be possible with disciplined optionals in a good, efficient program). Unfortunately, even in this perfect scenario it would still be better with one more coach. Just having the ability to do more and micromanage in greater detail is a huge benefit that is afforded by having an additional coach.

I also don't like the fact that the athletes are on their own for conditioning. There needs to be at least some supervision to make sure no one is cheating and/or doing exercises incorrectly or in a potentially dangerous way.

Lastly, the fact that girls are standing in line frequently is worrisome to me. I always try to prevent this from happening. It's almost like a phobia of mine, having idle time, hahaha! It basically boils down to not being as efficient as is possible during a practice. It is my belief that practices should run like well oiled machines, with a smooth and steady workflow and goals in place. Honestly, sometimes it is impossible to have everyone on a station, or sometimes there is going to be a line for a certain station. In these situations, have them do something productive. Anything, really! While they wait, they can do pirouettes, handstands, jumps, stomach vacuums for their abs, stand in relevé, various stretches, etc. I bought a wooden dowel at Lowe's and had it cut into thirds. They are slightly smaller than the 4 centimeter diameter of the actual women's rail, and I sometimes have them do wrist stretches while they wait in line for strap bar. They grab the dowel with the other hand and pull the wrist back to the side; this is great preparation for eagle grip skills they may need in the future, and also acts as some prehab. I throw in some rice bucket exercises too from time to time.

Idle time is wasted time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back