WAG Coach to gymnast ratio

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomtotwo

Proud Parent
What is a reasonable/customary ratio for a Level 8/uptraining 9 bar rotation? It seems our (great) bar coach is stretched beyond capacity with this group of girls, and DD can go through an entire bar rotation without ever being spotted on needed skills or receiving any coaching feedback. How many is too many? I don't blame the coach. I think that he has too many girls with too wide a range of skills and abilities.Thanks

When they are all there, we only have 4 girls in that level group... But they often practice with the L6/7 training group unless they are working releases. Releases is the 4-1 ratio.

Good bar coaches for upper optional levels are very difficult to find and ours is also stretched very thin. I'm not sure what an appropriate ratio would be, but it is also important to consider the structure and set up of the rotation. Where is the coach? Spotting on one set of bars while some of the girls are on a diff set? On the pit bar? Is coach moving between equipment? It can be easy for the coach to get stuck somewhere and then poof! --- rotation over and some never got help.

It is very hard to manage for sure. Asking for the help you need is important too -- don't expect them to necessarily notice you're struggling and need help. If not getting what you need during reg practice, talk with coach. Ours is good about offering specific help at next practice (he loathes privates), but sometimes you have to ask very specifically for assistance.

Our ratios are rising as the gym grows and we gain more optionals than we graduate (a true testament to the program)
Our ratios this season ranged from 7-15/1 on bars in a rotation group. They use the 2 straps, single rail, and the 4 full sets as well as a floor bar station. The coach usually spots on 2 sets of bars (releases, Kip Cast HS, 3/4s depending on the level of that group). Last season our ratios were about 8/1

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back