Coaches Coach Work-Outs for Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Alex Gold

Coach
Hey all -

I'm pretty new in the forum, but it seems like a great community.

I'm a decently fit guy (I can lift 70 or 80 pound kids over my head if need be), but I'm struggling with looking at spotting more advanced things for older/heavier kids.

I've really just started working out in a real sense. At the moment, I'm mainly focusing on military press, bench/push-ups, and bicep work (basically, anything that lifts upward, since spotting is almost always lifting up instead of pulling).

Is there any particular lifts that you would say are critical for safely spotting gymnasts (both their safety and mine)? Including lower body and core work, even though I don't enjoy them as much :p.

Thanks!
Alex

you will find more core strength will keep your back from being injured as easily. I also stretch with the kids many times. That way I don't wake up the next day sore. I spot high school cheerleaders weight upward of 200 lbs and I'm not a large person. Many of the bigger skills don't require much spotting depending on how they are learned. I do think we need the ability to adjust the landing or even pull the kid out of the air if needed to protect the head and neck and that usually falls on strong shoulders. Standing flies and dumbbell pressing will help there.

Good Luck :)

I'm commenting mostly to see other responses.

I'm tallish for a woman in gymnastics (5' 7") and fairly strong, but I've been spotting a lot of the optionals lately who are almost as tall as me and not that much lighter, and my back is feeling it.

Right now I'm working with the PT on a lot of core activation, but I'll love to see what specific suggestions other coaches have.

Theraband shoulder PT exercises , all directions. What skills in particular are you getting aches and pains on?

I'm commenting mostly to see other responses.

I'm tallish for a woman in gymnastics (5' 7") and fairly strong, but I've been spotting a lot of the optionals lately who are almost as tall as me and not that much lighter, and my back is feeling it.

Right now I'm working with the PT on a lot of core activation, but I'll love to see what specific suggestions other coaches have.

Of all things, the thing that helped my back being sore was doing the stretches with the kids while leading. Apparently standing and lifting kids for a few hours makes your hamstrings tight :) .

Of all things, the thing that helped my back being sore was doing the stretches with the kids while leading. Apparently standing and lifting kids for a few hours makes your hamstrings tight :) .

Yes! I've had back and upper leg pain for some years now and it's definitely aggregated by supporting bars.

My physio told me to join in with the gymnasts stretches as well as doing Pilates and foam rolling every day. I must admit stretching with the gymnasts does help when I remember/have the opportunity to do it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back