Parents Coaches advice on time off please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The only thing we ask, is if they are gone for more than a week to try and get a workout or two in while on vacation. Other than that, one week shouldn't be a problem at all.

And that makes complete sense and is reasonable. For us that would be a given if we were taking an extended vacation. Besides she is an active 9 yo. Vacations consist of flips into the pool, boogie boarding, snorkeling, swimming, handstands in the pool, handstands, cartwheels and such on the beach. Its not like she is an object at rest, she is just not at gym :D

Our gym closes for a week for Springs Break, Winter Break and a week around the 4th of July. My kids took off a week of practice and all HC asked was for them to try to do some conditioning while out. Our vacation was in August which was only a month before comp season.

One subject not touched here is that when we go on vacation the coach still gets paid. My kids took a month in Asia. Worked out at gyms we contacted and asked for an invite. Tumbled on the beach. But it was our vacation not the coaches. So we pay for a month we didn't attend. Small price to keep a good coach happy.

One gymnastics club we went to in BKK happen to be rhythm gymnastics. My DD has great flexibility but she was intimidated by these girls. Plus the language barrier.
She put on a good show and struggled through until conditioning. After being the only girl standing after suicides and pushups, She was declared the strongest gymnast they ever seen.
We still keep in touch today..LOL.
Meanwhile her brother who wanted nothing to do with girls rhythm was invited to a Wing Chun Kung Fu class next door. The coach was sad Henry couldn't join the team permanently.
They where a SE Asian games Champions team.
Bottom line was that it was a great experience for both and a nice break physically and mentally. Still won 3 Gold at Regionals.

It was not my expectation for the payments to take a vacation, totally get it is how they make their living. :).

DD is going to miss 2 weeks of gym because we are combing 3 family trips into one long trip over her spring break. She's 7 and trains 15 hours a week. I haven't spent one second worrying about her missing gym. I've spent a lot of time worrying that she's 7 and in the gym 15 hours a week... ;)

When we take a week vacation, we try to find a gym for DD to practice in, but not for "practice", for FUN, and "how cool is that!". (she had a private in Hawaii, and trained with team girls in New Orleans). When we tell our HCs we are doing it, they think it's great - but again, not in the "Oh good, she'll get practice" way, but in the "That sounds cool!" way.

This summer we are going to Ireland for 2 1/2 weeks. I'm currently trying to find a gym or two that she can work out in - and hopefully one that has club leotards, because she absolutely wants a leotard with an Irish gym on it to show off when she comes home ;)

(Oh, and the private in Hawaii? she was old level 3. The team practice in New Orleans was new level3. Again, just for fun!)

My kid is not an in the gym all the time kid. Gym on vacation, would not fly with her. She'd be OK with some conditioning, but a scheduled practice, not for her.

Especially not for a week to 10 days. Off for my kid is off.

My kid is not an in the gym all the time kid. Gym on vacation, would not fly with her. She'd be OK with some conditioning, but a scheduled practice, not for her.

Especially not for a week to 10 days. Off for my kid is off.
Wanted to add she would also be hitting me up with you and Dad get a vacation and don't have to work, why do I. And the stinker would right :D

Conditioning type workouts I could sell, we go to the gym. :)

Wanted to add she would also be hitting me up with you and Dad get a vacation and don't have to work, why do I. And the stinker would right :D

Conditioning type workouts I could sell, we go to the gym. :)

What's funny is that with my daughter, conditioning wouldn't fly. If she's going to take an hour on vacation to do gym stuff, she wants to be doing tricks ;)
When she trained with the team last year, she was quick to let them know that she didn't have to stay for conditioning at the end - LOL!

I totally think that is cool, but I don't want my kid to be in the gym on vacation. Even if she'd think it was fun.

I probably wouldn't have planned this in the middle of meet season, but I know our season starts in early fall and many families go away in late summer. If that's the only time parents can get off for vacation- they obviously should take it. I respect why coaches want kids to not miss gym, but I'd be kind of annoyed if our coaches implied that vacation was bad at this level. If at 7YO a kid can't go on family vacation with their family, I think there is something wrong with the sport.

What's funny is that with my daughter, conditioning wouldn't fly. If she's going to take an hour on vacation to do gym stuff, she wants to be doing tricks ;)
When she trained with the team last year, she was quick to let them know that she didn't have to stay for conditioning at the end - LOL!
My kid doesn't love conditioning but she doesn't balk either, she works it.

She is not the kid who suddenly has to go to the bathroom to get out of it or needs a pony fixed or needs lots of water breaks :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back