Coaches Fees

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2G&D

Proud Parent
Another thread recently touched on this, but my question is somewhat different.

We are in a small gym (about ten girls in levels four and five and one higher level girl), with no parent booster club. Each gymnast pays meet fees separately (and per meet) to our gym for every meet the coach decides we should attend. That fee is clearly defined by the meet organizers. My question, however, pertains to "coaches fees."

At our gym, these seem arbitrarily set at the whim of the coach... who alludes to making sure he has enough money to "make it worthwhile" for him to go. So far this year, the fees have ranged from $15 to $30 per gymnast.

And, he refuses to attend a meet unless three girls sign up for a particular session. Since we are in a small gym, we've had certain levels not go to a meet because not enough girls signed up.

Are coaches fees assessed at your gyms? If they are, hoow are they done (per meet or per year - or some other way)? And, if you don't mind my asking, are they somewhere within the range of fees we've been charged?

At my old gym where we had a booster club, we set the meet fees at $15 in state and $25 out of state. It paid the coaches between $50-$65 per session based on their experience, plus reimbursed them for mileage and meals. That would not have been enough without some additional fundraising because level 4 and 5 would have two coaches per session and might have more than one session, and the optional levels would sometimes only have one girl at a session, who only paid the $15 fee but had a $65 coach.

At my current gym there is no booster and the gym charges random fees- they have been as high as $30/gymnast or as low as $0. Not sure what they are thinking.

Last edited:
Ours are per year based on the costs of the previous year. Meet fees per gymnast, team entry fees, coaches salary, hotel and travel all added together and divided by number of meets and number of gymnast for a lump sum due each season.

If you divide that up by number of meets, and look at the actually gymnast entry fee for each meet it comes out to between $5-$35 over the gymnast entry fee to any given meet.

We pay a yearly fee based on our level. So L4 is $400, L6=$600. It is split and paid right before each season. To be honest, I would prefer your gym's method as a slow trickle of money doesn't seem as bad. (Even if it amounts to the same.) The fees you mention do make sense to me tho. If we go to a meet, the coach(es) will be there all day or more. The gym fee, gas, food, hotel if necessary. For example, there is a big meet in Feb we always go to L4 - L10. It is only an hour drive but the coaches need to be there Fri at 2, Sat at 8 and Sun at 8. Last year the level 5s finished at 10p! My daughter fell asleep on the mat while she was waiting to do floor. :) So even if it is close, I can understand the coaches need a hotel. We have a ton of the comp levels so the parents realize we are paying more than the meet costs but they try to placate us by purchasing a piece of equipment each year too.

I believe our fees @ our gym are INCREDIBLY lower than other gyms (or so they tell us). I believe the ways that the coaches figure ours is that they figure out how many days lodging they will need, costs for meals and gas, multiply that by the number of coaches needed for the event, then divide it up between the competing gymnasts ( am sure that they have additional fees in there I am unaware of, but oh well). The competition fees are different per level, of course, but we pay the same amount for coaches fees regardless of level.

That being said, the coach is probably using those fees to pay for his own gas and lodging, and if only one gymnast went, they would be forced to foot the bill for the entire meet, which means the $90-100 that would be split between 3-4 gymnasts would now be covered by one. It may be the coaches way to not force the families to pay more in coaches fees than the meet fees themselves.

Our gymnasts are assessed $1,000 for the entire year. At the end of the year, they give us a breakdown on the expenses and depending on what meets we attend, we either have to pay more or have a credit on our account. Last year, my DD was a L5 and the coaches fees ranged from $33 to $146 per gymnast per meet. The $33 was for a meet about 30 minutes away and the $146 was a state meet that required airfare. Last year, we had the lower level coaches. They no longer work at our gym. But I was made privy to their fees. They are paid $60.00 per session plus a per diem of $100 for food and of course their hotel if necessary. This year, we have the higher level coaches and we have significantly less gymnasts than we had the year before. I am wondering how much our coaches fees are going to be.

As far as your coach saying, "it should be worth his while", he probably should not be saying this for everyone to hear but realistically it is rightfully a consideration for the coach. The gym is still a business and I am assuming he needs to make money and/or is not just working for free.

Our gymnasts are assessed $1,000 for the entire year. At the end of the year, they give us a breakdown on the expenses and depending on what meets we attend, we either have to pay more or have a credit on our account. Last year, my DD was a L5 and the coaches fees ranged from $33 to $146 per gymnast per meet. The $33 was for a meet about 30 minutes away and the $146 was a state meet that required airfare. Last year, we had the lower level coaches. They no longer work at our gym. But I was made privy to their fees. They are paid $60.00 per session plus a per diem of $100 for food and of course their hotel if necessary. This year, we have the higher level coaches and we have significantly less gymnasts than we had the year before. I am wondering how much our coaches fees are going to be.

As far as your coach saying, "it should be worth his while", he probably should not be saying this for everyone to hear but realistically it is rightfully a consideration for the coach. The gym is still a business and I am assuming he needs to make money and/or is not just working for free.

:eek: $1,000 per year for compulsories? WOW. I come from an area where the cost of living isn't high and that wouldn't be unheard of for L9/10 (although not even that much...more like $800-900...then paying the meet fees out separately though plus travel for gymnast and family). But for level 5? It takes a lot to shock me about gymnastics, but wow, that's serious sticker shock.

We pay the exact amount per meet for entries. So compulsories average $55 per meet, then the team fee is divided by how many girls on the level. So a team fee of $50 with a team of 10=$5 per gymnast. Optionals average $95 per meet, with a team fee avg of $55. Divide $55 by say 3=$18.40 per gymnast. Then the coaches fees are the meet fee they are paid (I'll say $50 just to give a number; I think that's close.), then the amount for gas and food (ONLY that, no padded amounts), then any lodging and airfare if applicable. The optionals divide the total of all coach's fees among all optionals, and compulsories divide all coach's fees among all compulsory gymnasts. So it keeps the cost down and doesn't pile money on just a few girls. Now if our highest levels make regionals and nationals, then the individual cost goes up significantly, due to the nature of those meets and the sport. Our owner is awesome at keeping our costs down, because we do not have a booster club. We are free to do any fundraising on our own, as long as we run it by them first. We can get corporate or private sponsors, car washes, etc. Some gyms pad their coach's fees, as I have been told by parents at other gyms. They were shocked at how low are fees are.

:eek: $1,000 per year for compulsories? WOW. I come from an area where the cost of living isn't high and that wouldn't be unheard of for L9/10 (although not even that much...more like $800-900...then paying the meet fees out separately though plus travel for gymnast and family). But for level 5? It takes a lot to shock me about gymnastics, but wow, that's serious sticker shock.

Gymdog, I agree with you. I think it is high. But there isn't much of a choice.

To me this would depend on whether the $1,000 included meet entry fees. This is about what it costs for our compulsories (and actually all levels through States), but that is including meet entry fees and an away State meet. If the State meet is local, fees go down to more like $800. All in all, they range from $800 to $1200. Our coaches are paid $100 per day of coaching, no matter how many sessions, plus meals, rental car or gas (or airfare) and lodging if necessary. Those expenses are split amongst all gymnasts attending the meet. Each gymnast pays her own entry fee and a proportion of the team fee. Post season fees cause the optional fees to go up much more and often are split amongst only a few girls.

$100 a day for food seems a bit much. Is that for the whole weekend or per day? Our coaches usually stay in hotels that offer breakfast, and they get fed at the meets, so usually only one meal to purchase and if at the meet all day they can get fed breakfast, lunch and dinner for free. But even if purchasing all 3 meals seems a bit much, we never spend this much per person per day.

$100 a day for food seems a bit much. Is that for the whole weekend or per day? Our coaches usually stay in hotels that offer breakfast, and they get fed at the meets, so usually only one meal to purchase and if at the meet all day they can get fed breakfast, lunch and dinner for free. But even if purchasing all 3 meals seems a bit much, we never spend this much per person per day.

You know, I am not sure. I did not ask the coach any details. I think our coach fees are a little on the higher end. Our tuition at $360.00 for L6 is probably also on the higher end. But I think our coaches are also paying a lot for rent. To me, it is what it is. There are not a lot of gyms in my area. So, there aren't any alternatives.

My DD's gym works similar to another poster.

The meet fee itself is set by the meet. We pay for that at time of registration, some are 4 months in advance some less.

Then the coaches fees are determined by travel expenses (mileage or Flight costs) Hotel, if necessary, Per Diem for Food, And a session fee. If there are 4 different levels competing in 4 different session. it is 4 session fees. If 4 levels are competing in 1 session, it is 1 fee. Those amounts are added up and divided amongst the girls signed up for the meet.

We also pay the meet fee that the host gym sets at the time of registration. However for coach fees, I didn't even know people had to pay them separately at all for competitions. Our gym covers the cost for the coaches with money from our yearly tuition, and I think they just pay the extra.

To me this would depend on whether the $1,000 included meet entry fees. This is about what it costs for our compulsories (and actually all levels through States), but that is including meet entry fees and an away State meet. If the State meet is local, fees go down to more like $800. All in all, they range from $800 to $1200. Our coaches are paid $100 per day of coaching, no matter how many sessions, plus meals, rental car or gas (or airfare) and lodging if necessary. Those expenses are split amongst all gymnasts attending the meet. Each gymnast pays her own entry fee and a proportion of the team fee. Post season fees cause the optional fees to go up much more and often are split amongst only a few girls.

Perhaps if it included meet entry fees. We paid about $800 assessment fee for L9-10 and but that did not include regular meet entry fees - just regionals/nationals. I guess I just assume the assessment fee to not include meet entry fees but I suppose some gyms do it that way. Ours went to the coaching costs, regionals/nationals fees and travel, and some other stuff.

I realized in my previous post, I said cost of living isn't high, meant it IS high.

We have a booster club at our gym. Level 4s pay $200 per season, divided over 4 payments within the 5 month season. This includes coaches fees for meets, travel, food, and lodging. This also includes a back to school party, Christmas party (and coaches gifts), and an end of year banquet. We sometimes have to pay a little extra for the parties $5-$10 per person. We also host a meet during the year and that money goes into the booster club as well. My daughter did competitive cheer for a while, and we had to pay a fee for every competition depending on the number of coaches and the amount of girls on the squad. I prefer the way the gymnastics booster handles payments--this way there are no suprises.

At my dd's gym, we pay for meet fees when our child has been registered for a meet, basically it's just the cost of the entry fee plus the team cost like others have mentioned.

I pay a monthly tuition fee and a monthly coaches fee, every month - year round. I know for L7 and up the coaches fee is $125, so that's $1500 per yr. That is the cost were you make it to States, Regionals or Nationals, it will not go up, but then again it won't go down either!

I'm not sure what the coaches fees are for the compulsory levels but they are less than the optionals.

Well as a coach, here goes.

Quite often we are paid for session. I would balk at $100/day if I was there from morning to night for 12+hours. $8/hr are you kidding me?

Parents of all gymnasts in one session split the session fee. 1 gymnast or 10, it's the same and you just luck out. This is pretty easy with boys, as most boys compete by level and sometimes combine levels. Not so with the girls.

Keep in mind a meet at shortest is 3.5 hours to maybe 4-5 if they go too long. This includes awards ceremony though sometimes that overlaps the next session. Generally that is a time coaches go take a break and enjoy the hospitality room or go start warming up the next session gymnasts.

So we get there 30m early, hustle and bustle, are at the meet for 4 hours, and then maybe 30 more minutes for the award ceremony. 5 hours for 50 bucks is very insulting to most coaches. Even 4. The lowest I've been paid is 50/session to 100/session.

Quite often we are paid federal mileage from the gym to the meet. Beware, this can get expensive fast. If it is 50-100 miles to the gym. If it is a one day meet, all parents of gymnasts that competed that day would split that. Coaches are encouraged to carpool together. I have even waived that and got a ride with parents. However, I am very leery of this because some parents are scary drivers. Eeesh! Then again, I get to relax or nap which is awesome though it's money out of my pocket at the end of the season. Not all meets are that far as there are bound to be local meets too.

If the meet was very far away, this could easily get insanely expensive. 500 miles to and fro would mean $500 while realistically airplane ticket would cost less than half that and then tick on a car rental. Could get very expensive with national meets or meets in Hawaii or out of state meets. Paying for the travel is less expensive than the mileage.

There shouldn't be a need to pay for hospitality during the meet because meets offer meals generally. Sometimes, some parents will buy parents snacks or meals or I'll buy my own if they don't offer anything I like. I don't see the need for $100/day though perhaps a small stipend per meal should be given if there an overnight meet for dinner.

Hotel should be split up by all the competing families. Sometimes, I'm lucky enough to stay with family or friends in other cities. I stayed at my uncle's when I went to San Diego but the airplane ticket was picked up by the parent's. Some minor inconvenience not staying at the host meet hotel or a neighboring hotel but much nicer for me besides seeing my family.

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News