Parents Coaches kids

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

juststartingout

Proud Parent
Do the kids of your coaches train like everyone else in set groups or whenever they want? I ask because at our gym our coaches kids are allowed to join any class they want to practice whenever they want and I was wondering if that is the norm. It just makes it hard for other kids to compete against them because they are practicing sometimes 3x more than the other kids at the same level. Luckily none of them at our gym are the same age and my daughter so it's not a problem for us but I do feel bad for the kids in their age/level. Also sometimes they are allowed to practice with groups not in their level. Several times the one has been allowed to practice with our group which is above her level and the coach had to spend most of her time spotting/helping her because she couldn't do what the rest of the girls were doing. Our coaches kids are sweet kids at least so that makes it a little better.

Our coaches kids are in a training group, just like anyone else. They may get some extra gym time just by being there with Mom, but I suppose being in the gym long hours would be both a blessing and a curse if you were the coach's kid. Some of the coaches's kids are phenomenal and some are just average. I'm sure there are biological factors at work too. Bottom line, I think it would be alienating to the kids to not be in a set training group. They wouldn't have the connection with their teammates, plus their teammates might resent their special status.

I think that at our current gym any of the coaches' kids are older - like mostly optionals levels. I have no idea how it was when those kids were younger. At our old gym there were a few coaches' kids and normally it wasn't much of an issue.Sometimes I saw them kind of doing open gym while classes were going on (basically they got to go down and work on things; but without a coach right there). I did hear that there was one of the boys who's dad would sometimes work with him when he was supposed to be coaching older boys and some parents were annoyed about that.

I'd be annoyed if the kids were going in a more advanced class and having to monopolize coaching time because of working on skills that they didn't have yet (and don't even need yet). But it they aren't disrupting anything then I would try to just ignore it. Sure, their kid might do better in competitions than your kid; but their kid can also work on some stuff at home that your kid probably can't. It is one of the advantages of their parent's job. My kids get different advantages because of my and my husband's jobs. Plus, I agree with the previous poster - there is likely some genetics mixed in there too helping their kid to do better.

At our gym, there aren't too many examples, but the kids work in their set training group, and that is that. No other open gym, or training with other groups, etc. Treated like every other gymnast. Little ones are not in the gym while their parents are teaching other classes. That goes for the 3 year olds, and the 12 year olds.

At my daughter's gym the coach's daughter is the same age and level as my daughter. She does get extra gym time because the days she is in the gym she stays and works with a higher level until her mom goes home. I have also heard that in the past she works out with other levels on the days that her team is not the gym ( not sure that is the case now). I think she might need the extra time because she was placed directly on the team with no previous gymnastics training and struggles behind the rest if the group. Except for the extra hours, no special attention is put upon her, besides that she was allowed on a team that she did not have the skills required. Her highest meet score is a 29. Most of the parents (myself included) are rooting for her.

Yep, they are at a definite advantage gymnastics wise. Free open gym time, practice with other groups when they don't have practice of their own. I've seen their mother's working privately with them during off hours. It's off putting when
I have to pay $5 at the end of Friday practice for my kid to enjoy the last 30 minutes of open gym. I've also seen the kids interrupting rec classes their parents are teaching. Can you tell I don't like it? On the flip side, these kids are basically getting no parenting or time away from the gym, so I feel sorry for them. I wonder when they do homework or develop any other interests. Several have parents who have both full time jobs and coach in the evenings. Makes me wonder what family life is like. They do seem to advance faster than the other kids, but not sure it's worth what their losing in the rest of their childhood.

All the coaches (and owners) kids are in levels and practice with their groups. The boy's coach has two sons on team and one on preschool rec. Mom brings them over when it's team practice and picks them up when it's over. One is my son's age and was on preteam, now team with him. The spouses of the owners and coaches do a good job balancing home/work time and yes, the kids probably do get some extra gym time- but good for them. Some non-coaches/owners kids are around the gym a lot more than they are.

At our gym the coaches' kids are with their groups, but I am sure they do get some perks - extra practice time, free open gym, etc. So what? Children of teachers get extra practice time on lessons, children of physicians/nurses get faster diagnoses and prescriptions when sick, children of baseball coaches get extra tips and practice time. It is just the way of the world.

Gymnastics coaches get paid so little for the amount of work that they do. I am glad if they get a few extra perks for their kids.

JMHO.

At our gym the coaches' kids are with their groups, but I am sure they do get some perks - extra practice time, free open gym, etc. So what? Children of teachers get extra practice time on lessons, children of physicians/nurses get faster diagnoses and prescriptions when sick, children of baseball coaches get extra tips and practice time. It is just the way of the world.

Gymnastics coaches get paid so little for the amount of work that they do. I am glad if they get a few extra perks for their kids.

JMHO.

I'm not concerned with them advancing faster or being better really as like I said none are even in my daughters age/level it's more about them joining more advanced training groups and then needing all the coaches attention because they have to be spotted on everything that the others can do independently. I agree coaches kids in all sports get more training time etc but most sports are also team sports so it benefits the team. I guess it's no different then competing against other gyms with more aggressive hours though I just wish they were only allowed to practice in groups their level and under. When they are working on roundoffs and the other girls are working on layouts it's hard for 1 coach to divide her time.

In my experiences, they have generally put them in age appropriate or training levels right for their age. I got off to a great start with my first boss because I kicked her daughter out of my class for acting up. Things you do when you are 21.

They do get a lot of extra tramp time.

Sometimes they're good, sometimes they are alright, sometimes they suck. Sometimes they don't even do gym besides jump bounce on trampoline and treat as a 15k sq ft play area.

I have been on both ends of this situation. When my youngest dd was 2 1/2 and I had taken a break from coaching. We were at a gym that was having management issues. The coach took my dd and stuck her on high beam them lost track of her and was not watching her. She was instead watching her oldest dd do "amazing back handsprings at only 7" She absolutely drove me crazy. Her 2 kids ran all over the gym. Her little dd, who was the same age as my little dd took the level 2 and 3 class. She thought it was so cute that she knew the routines. OMG, I took my dd out of that class and we eventually left that gym.Fast forward, my littlest dd is a gym rat. She is now 6 and I try to be mindful about her class attendance and behavior. She does spend alot of time there though. Luckily it is a rec center, so there is alot of other things she can do.

She left a 21/2 year old on the HIGH BEAM and LOST HER (or was it an older dd?)! I'm glad your dd didn't fall.

no the 2 1/2 yr old was walking down the high beam without a spot. She jumped off the beam and walked into a pit. I kid you not. Yeah, I was mad. She was not hurt.

We do not allow this under any circumstances. For insurance reasons no child is allowed on any equipment unless being supervised by a coach and are in a class. This is the same for coaches kids.

Coaching is a job, it is not a free babysitting service. If our coaches kids want to learn the coaches pay for them, to attend class like everyone else or they are not allowed through the gate.

I dealt with the coaches kids for years, sometimes it was fine, much of the time it really was awful. Nothing to do with jealousy or any of that previously mentioned crap. More to do with lies, sneakiness and favouritism. Having the coaches kid not do conditioning because it is too hard does little for team spirit, having coaches kid yell clean across the gym for mom to come and spot her when she is with another coach does little for staff relations, having coaches kid cheer when your kid crashes off bars (so she will win) is nasty, having coaches kid run to the front of the line on every apparatus (and be allowed to stay there without waiting her turn) is difficult to explain. There are great coaches with kids and there are indulgent coaches with kids. Hope you get the former and not the latter. Oh and there was tons of extra time in the gym, special meets just for the coaches kids, lying about the extra time in the gym. The kids did train and compete with my oldest and you would sit with your mouth wide open at some of the entertaining stunts pulled. Yes that is part of being a coaches kid, but when you are dealing with kids it is hard to explain why xxx gets to compete T&T and nobody else in the gym does.

DD has been in a workout group with a coach's daughter every year but one since they were on preteam together. She's a wonderful, cheerful girl who, like all her friends in that group, has had her ups and downs. Her big sis is also a gymnast who made it to nationals last year. I can't say enough nice things about either one of them, who just come into the gym every day and work out like everyone else and always have.

We have a couple gym rats, (mine is one) who besides being in the gym a lot, are treated like everyone else. They don't practice with higher training groups, but they do jump in a rec class now and again. The rec coaches like having a demonstrator, as both girls are on team and 6 yrs old. It really doesn't seem to be a big deal at our gym. If anything, the parents offer to take them for play dates, ice cream, etc just to get them out of there for awhile. As for interrupting practices etc...doesn't happen. Neither have competed, and they seem to be on par with other girls in their group right now.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

We have a couple gym rats, (mine is one) who besides being in the gym a lot, are treated like everyone else. They don't practice with higher training groups, but they do jump in a rec class now and again. The rec coaches like having a demonstrator, as both girls are on team and 6 yrs old. It really doesn't seem to be a big deal at our gym. If anything, the parents offer to take them for play dates, ice cream, etc just to get them out of there for awhile. As for interrupting practices etc...doesn't happen. Neither have competed, and they seem to be on par with other girls in their group right now.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

This sounds like the kids at our gym, basically. They're sweet kids who don't get extra special treatment, except being at the gym all the time. Sometimes they demo for rec classes. And if they happen to be distracting for a group, they're very respectful and cooperative when asked to kindly find something else to do. I've seen it happen differently at other gyms though, and it can definitely be frustrating.

I dealt with the coaches kids for years, sometimes it was fine, much of the time it really was awful. Nothing to do with jealousy or any of that previously mentioned crap. More to do with lies, sneakiness and favouritism. Having the coaches kid not do conditioning because it is too hard does little for team spirit, having coaches kid yell clean across the gym for mom to come and spot her when she is with another coach does little for staff relations, having coaches kid cheer when your kid crashes off bars (so she will win) is nasty, having coaches kid run to the front of the line on every apparatus (and be allowed to stay there without waiting her turn) is difficult to explain. There are great coaches with kids and there are indulgent coaches with kids. Hope you get the former and not the latter. Oh and there was tons of extra time in the gym, special meets just for the coaches kids, lying about the extra time in the gym. The kids did train and compete with my oldest and you would sit with your mouth wide open at some of the entertaining stunts pulled. Yes that is part of being a coaches kid, but when you are dealing with kids it is hard to explain why xxx gets to compete T&T and nobody else in the gym does.
Holy crow. I don't think I could handle this - in fact I know I couldn't. We'd have been driven from the gym. Our experience is just so polar opposite - the coaches kids are just lovely, and treated the exact same as everyone else.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back