Coaches not spotting on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flippingout

Gymnast
Hey guys! I just wanted to know if any other gym does this. My coach absolutely refuses to spot us on beam. I am not quite sure of their reasoning because they will spot every where else. JUST no beam. They will however let us get a big folding incline and some panel pats under the beam and try it on our own. BUT they won't spot. Is that setting us back? Is it bad that they won't spot us? Thanks!!

Some gyms have this rule. You shouldn't need a spot on beam for anything other than comfort/the mental aspect, because by the time you are doing a skill on the beam you should have it 100% down on the floor, on the line, and on the low beam. Using mats under the beam is another way to give you that comfort and mental reassurance.

It's sometimes better not to spot because a spot can also interfere with you "feeling" the right way to do the skill and with confidence. For example, a lot of gymnasts will actually request "I don't want to be spotted" on beam once they get to a certain level. Making you do it on your own also forces you to trust yourself. So I don't think it is a problem.

Oh no it's not a problem!! I haven't ever been spotted on beam so it isn't a big deal. but, I went to the twistars camp in Michigan and they asked me if I wanted any spot and I just had to say no so I wouldn't get used to the spot

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back