Coaches rushing you from an injury .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

manderx3

i have one of thoose coaches who wants things working at there pace , which just happens to be pretty quick .

So , about... 7 weeks ago . I cracked my fiblua , i've been out of my cast for about a week and a half . And the other night my coach decided that i should try to jump , like into my kip & i disagreed & he won the arguement . This obviously hurt my ankle , becuase the muscles are still weak & healing . I went to physical theropy today & asked her about jumping . And she said no becuase im that far into the progession of getting better . So , hopefully tomorrow i can talk to my coach about not rushing me into things until my physical theropist tell me too .

This may seem like a venting type deal , but i was wondering how to talk to him about this , without him getting frustrated with me .

First of all, the coach should know better.

That said, see if you can bring in a note from your doctor or physical therapist.

What GT said !

I would ask your doctor for a note letting coach know what your restrictions are.v

Last edited:
Oh my, I always make sure I find out what my DD can do and I tell the coach that I'll let her know when something changes.

Coach should know better.

Bring in a note that says what you are not allowed to do, give it to him right before workout, keep one of your parents there. If he argues or double talks against what the doctor told you not to do, refer him to the waiting parent and stand your ground. This way you can shrug it off as something you've been told to honor by multiple higher authorities, and if he chooses to argue it it can be with a parent. We don't love to argue or create drama (mostly I think!) but we can all manage to put on our 'mean face' for our babies! :)

Good luck, and yes he should know better(!) but he really could just be young/ignorant/or misinformed. Getting it out of the way pre-workout would be best imo.

Coaches should know better but they don't act like they do. In any gym I've been in, the coaches never believe what the gymnast has to say about HER body. My daughter has had her share of aches and pains over the years but she knows when that "pain" is different and signals an injury...but the coaches blow her off and try to get her to do stuff so if I feel she really needs to rest (and we know they won't just let her stretch and condition) , I keep her home. She had a broken bone and her coaches try to make it seem like "everyone just works through that" but I put the kibosh on that ...even with a doctor's note, the coach just gets all mad "why'd you go to the doctor? Of course he wants you to rest it but we know better"..last I knew medical degrees weren't handed out with their PE degrees.

You basically just need to stand your ground and advocate for your daughter's LIFELONG health!!:)

"..last I knew medical degrees weren't handed out with their PE degrees.

I know this isn't directed at anyone here, but I find general slights like this to be incredibly irritating. It's entirely possible that it's a personal flaw, as a matter of fact it probably is considering it's something on the internet that is able to grate me.

For every (insert random high number here) parent(s) that watch out for their child and manage their injuries closely (sincere thumbs up for that), there's 1 that's pushing their kid through an injury against their coaches wishes. Gotta have a big showing at states or regionals, oh my gosh suck it up there's going to be college recruiters at this travel meet! For the most part the coaches here keep the 'dark side' of the job off the boards, but I promise you it's there and we aren't thinking 'last I knew parenting degrees weren't available in college.'

Time for my periodic chalkbucket break apparently ><

Linsul..I noticed you listed yourself as a coach and no, I was not directing that at you but the number of times multiple kids have been ignored (i.e.not just mine) with legitimate injury complaint is what pushes one over the edge. My daughter's been a Level 10 for a number of years, she knows the aches and soreness that go along with the sport so she's not going to complain unless it it's legitimate. What's irritating to me is that coaches can't just believe the gymnast when she says it hurts...they don't come to the gym day in and day out just to avoid doing stuff. My comment about the medical degree refers to the coaches who try to place their opinion above the medical advice the gymnast has received and feel that the family should go with the gym advice over sound medical advice. I've seen it happen multiple times so it's not an isolated incident.

Linsul..I noticed you listed yourself as a coach and no, I was not directing that at you but the number of times multiple kids have been ignored (i.e.not just mine) with legitimate injury complaint is what pushes one over the edge. My daughter's been a Level 10 for a number of years, she knows the aches and soreness that go along with the sport so she's not going to complain unless it it's legitimate. What's irritating to me is that coaches can't just believe the gymnast when she says it hurts...they don't come to the gym day in and day out just to avoid doing stuff. My comment about the medical degree refers to the coaches who try to place their opinion above the medical advice the gymnast has received and feel that the family should go with the gym advice over sound medical advice. I've seen it happen multiple times so it's not an isolated incident.

I can tell you that this sure as heck doesn't happen with my kids. When they complain of anything hurting, I listen. I would never DREAM of overriding a doctor's orders. And this is true of most coaches I know. I'm with Linsul on this; you're making some severely misguided generalizations here, in my opinion.

Coaches should know better but they don't act like they do. In any gym I've been in, the coaches never believe what the gymnast has to say about HER body. My daughter has had her share of aches and pains over the years but she knows when that "pain" is different and signals an injury...but the coaches blow her off and try to get her to do stuff so if I feel she really needs to rest (and we know they won't just let her stretch and condition) , I keep her home. She had a broken bone and her coaches try to make it seem like "everyone just works through that" but I put the kibosh on that ...even with a doctor's note, the coach just gets all mad "why'd you go to the doctor? Of course he wants you to rest it but we know better"..last I knew medical degrees weren't handed out with their PE degrees.

You basically just need to stand your ground and advocate for your daughter's LIFELONG health!!:)

Please be careful when making balnket statements like this. We have many great coaches here and they spend a lot of time informing and helping out. There are many truly caring coaches out their. Sorry your experience has been so negative, maybe those are the kind s of gyms to be avoided.

My own experience has been the total opposite of yours. My girls coaches ask before each training where oldest is at in terms of recovery and she has even called the doc her self just to make sure she is on the same page.

Geoffrey..it's good that you don't push kids who are injured but I think it's the "dark side" that Linsul refers to. I think if you asked the coaches here if they pushed an injured kid to come back too soon, they wouldn't even realize that they do do it...sometimes it can be very subtle. But gymnasts typically push themselves hard as it is and all it takes is a comment (albeit maybe taken the wrong way) and the gymnast feels she "has" to come back sooner than she should.

When dd has had restrictions, I take her to the gym the first time back and walk in and ask to speak to her coach. I then personally inform the coach of the doctors restrictions, time table for recovery and then ask the coach what she might be permitted to do and what she won't be permitted to do. I find that this helps us all to not have any misunderstandings so there is less chance of any setbacks of further injury.

Try and remember that your foot is still week and you are very close to being fully healed. Sometimes, it is best to stay home until you are ready to practice.

Eh guys I don't socko meant that every single coach you will ever meet is going to act that way. I think that was just the experience they had. If you've lived in the dark your whole life, how are you to be expected to know what the light looks like? I'm sure a misguided person who could not see color would make the generalization. "The world comes in 2 shades, black and white."

But have been known to be wrong... :/

IMO, just because you would never act that way and no coach that you knew would ever do something like it doesn't indicate it's impossible that somewhere out there, it happens. I'm not saying there aren't idiot parents who act the same way. There are. But I really didn't find socko's post to be that insulting, just misguided.

I should probably zip it so I don't drive the board way off topic/get someone mad.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back