WAG coaches to athletes ratio, particularly in optionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

duyetanh

Proud Parent
So I am wondering a few things, and my apologies if this has been brought up before. How many coaches coach your child's competitive team? I am wondering also the ratio, meanin, for ex, "there are 40 kids and we have 5 coaches, 2 coach the 10 optionals, the rest are split between the lower levels." Or, "there are four coaches, one for each event, and they coach all the levels." Thanks!

Our coaches, coach all levels. They have their "events" that they tend to coach. But they usually coach at least 2 events.

We have about 40 kids total on our "team". About half are L2/3, The other half L4-L9, with about 10 L4 the rest 5-9.

Mondays pretty much all levels are in the gym, with some over lap of time, the higher level girls start earlier and end earlier.

Wed and Fri for 4-9, Tues-Thurs 2/3, Saturdays (this is an optional training day, some girls go instead of a day during the week, some go in addition) can be all levels.

My on days my daughter trains there are usually about 25 kids, with 3 or 4 coaches. So about 1 coach per 6-8 kids.

DDs team is about 35-40 girls there are 3 coaches regularly (one is on maternity leave). They are simply split into compulsories and optionals.

We have up to 9 coaches for about 63 gymnasts... so on a "good" day, it's 7 girls to 1 coach. On a "bad" day, we may only have 4 coaches. In that case, the oldest team girl, a L8 and in High School is "in charge" of Optionals (6-8 girls including herself... lots of conditioning... nothing that requires a spot... dance throughs on floor). That leaves no worse than a 14 to 1.

Not all of the girls are there every day (other sports) and the Jr. High girls team can leave at 7pm (about 20 of the girls... but those that also compete for the Y team sometimes choose to stay). That means that ratios can be even lower and often are.

Ok, ours sounds similar to everyone elses...I just didn't understand how it all worked. My daughter is not an optional yet, but our optional program does sometimes have the older girls coach when necessary.

Mine is very somewhat out of the norm. We have 4 optional girls & 6 compulsory girls, so ten total. Those two groups are separate. There are 4 team coaches total, two work mainly with compulsories & two with optionals. So ours is 1:2 & 1:3.

DD's team has about 85 girls on team this year. We have about 15 optionals, 14 L4s, 18 L3s, 20 Xcel and 15 preteam. Each of these groups has at least 2 coaches specifically for their team. In addition, our HC and a couple of the rec coaches will come and help on certain events from time to time.

80 and 4 full time team coaches, and 3 other shared coaches who work with the developmental and team or other depts and team. Groups range from 4 to 1, to 8 to 1.

We have about 30 kids on our level 3-7 team, with anywhere between two and four coaches. Worst case scenario, we'll have a level 3 coach and a 4-7 coach, on a good day, we'll have two coaches with the 3s, one with the 4s, and one with the 5s and 7s.

We have about 70 kids I would guess from pre-team to level 8. We have about 25 pre team/level 2s, 20 level 3s, 13 level 4s, 4 level 5s, and about 10 girls on the optional team. Those are estimates, and from last years levels. We have 2 coaches that only coach preteam/level 2, and then 7 other coaches who work with all of us (obviously at different times). We usually split up at a typical team practice into 1 or 2 groups of level 3, 1 group of level 4, and then the optionals with the 5s. Occasionally for number purposes we will send some 3s with the 4s and some 4s with the 5s. We usually have 4 coaches in the gym a night working with team.

Oh wow. How I wish our gym has coach to gymnast ration that is small. In my dd's gym, there are usually 15+ gymnast for 1 coach! Hence the poor coaching.

Preteam has their own coaching staff and schedule, so we don't see them. The 40 girls in levels 3-6 (none higher yet) have a primary coaching staff of 3 plus 2 others who help on days when more girls are signed up for practice. There are 6 practice times and girls choose from 3-5 of those sessions (depending on level, schedule, desire), so it is rare that all of the girls are there at once. While coaches don't specialize in events, practice usually divides into three rotations with a coach at each of those rotations. As more girls graduate up to the optionals level, I'm guessing that practice times will split and there will be one schedule for compulsory and one for optionals.

We have a ratio of 7 girls for 1 coach, or 2 coaches for a maximum of 12 girls. We really aren't equipped to have bigger groups than that.

We coach all events and we coach only our group.

Our ratio for L6+ is about 11 to 1. The training groups are not always organized equally, however. They are grouped according to the skills they are currently working, so 1 coach may have 8 and the other 13, for example. The system runs well, with lots of stations, so there is very little waiting around.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back