Coaches-- Toeing in on one foot- not sure I have posted this in correct forum

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymGirl's Mom

Proud Parent
DD's coach told me that because she "toes in" on one foot (calf twisted looking toe inward in skills such as ROBHS, back walkover, mostly backward moving skills) she will have a hard time progressing and getting bigger skills as the years go on. She is also flat-footed and is a bit stronger on one side of her body than the other. I feel like she is being discounted by said coach before she is given a chance to improve/prove herself. DD brought it up to me after the coach brought it up to me so I had her evaluated by a PT who saw very little difference in strength on one side of her body than the other- more like just bad habits- also PT seemed to think the toeing in was a bad habit too. She was given some core and leg strengthening exercises to do in front of a mirror so she is aware of how her toe/body looks when it looks right, but slow progress is being made in this area.

Advice- anyone ever have a successful gymnast able to overcome some form issues that were both strength and mental/mind (bad habits) related? She is feeling a little downhearted right now, like she doesn't have what it takes and I am trying to help her, but really my words of encouragement and advice in gymnastics are weighed less heavily that her coach's words to her.

Toeing in runs in my family- it's great if you are a soccer player, not so great if you are a gymnast. Just looking for some feedback, encouragement, positive thoughts, advice.

***please feel free to move this if it is in the wrong place***

If I understand what you are describing, have her try keeping her heals together in her basic skills. Even do some basic hopping on toe (ball of the foot) with the heals together until she's used to the way it feels. It sounds like some work on simple basics to correct a bad habit could be quite useful.

Besides tumbling always on a line, I made those girls go put chalk on their feet (and they have to walk back either on their toes or heels) and it shows them them their foot placement.

It's messy but it seemed to help. I've seen it happen with a lot of kids and I think it's just they don't know how they put down their foot and be conscious about it.

For flat feet, this seems to be a good thread

GymnasticBodies.com • View topic - Recommended Therapy for "Flat Feet"

over time, the body will compensate. it's not that big of a deal in the whole scheme of things.:)

Thanks for the replies. The toeing in is a bad habit, she sometimes trips over her own feet when walking.... not a lot, but every now and then. Making her more aware of it helps.

It is good to know that she will mature out of some of it as she trains, hopefully. Right now I know it is hurting her score-wise, but she is young and still learning a lot of things. Hopefully training and increased sense of body awareness will help.

When she concentrates on putting her heels together (instead of her toes) her legs and feet look beautiful- but it is harder for her and not a habit yet- but when she does it really looks nice. When she puts her toes together you can see the twisty leg/foot thing she does and it's very pronounced. She just has to form some new habits.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back