WAG Coaches, what do you think of parents that watch the entire practice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am sorry but not wearing masks during a mask mandate is *so* not cool. Teaching kids that following laws is optional is nothing i would support ever.

It was not about children not following laws, it was about little kids(6-8yrs old) being forgetful while waiting in line, it was about putting a mask down for safety reasons because it was flopping to cover eyes while flipping...then forgetting to put it back up.

All of the kids wore masks, however some of the younger kids had to put them down/take them off to safely participate in activities(which whether this was allowed by law or not, had to be done-safety is the priority!!). Being young children, sometimes they would forget things & while the coaches tried super hard to constantly remind them, things happen!!

The day the health inspector came, there were over 40 girls in the gym....ONE had her mask on her chin...$500 fine for the business owner...is THAT fair?!?!?!

So yes, I was happy to sit outside and provide warning, so the coaches could check every child's face and be sure their mask was in the right place.

You can go to HECK with your righteous indignation as far as I'm concerned!! I did what I felt was right and I would do it again!!!

P.S. masks don't really work against covid in the first place, so I couldn't care less, however that is beside the point. We complied with the mandates set forth, we supplied masks to the gym for the kids who forgot to bring them, however we refused to participate in the "punishment phase"(otherwise known as a witchhunt) against little, forgetful kids & their gymnastics coaches who were doing their best to balance mandates vs safety and reality!!

It was not about children not following laws, it was about little kids(6-8yrs old) being forgetful while waiting in line, it was about putting a mask down for safety reasons because it was flopping to cover eyes while flipping...then forgetting to put it back up.

All of the kids wore masks, however some of the younger kids had to put them down/take them off to safely participate in activities(which whether this was allowed by law or not, had to be done-safety is the priority!!). Being young children, sometimes they would forget things & while the coaches tried super hard to constantly remind them, things happen!!

The day the health inspector came, there were over 40 girls in the gym....ONE had her mask on her chin...$500 fine for the business owner...is THAT fair?!?!?!

So yes, I was happy to sit outside and provide warning, so the coaches could check every child's face and be sure their mask was in the right place.

You can go to HECK with your righteous indignation as far as I'm concerned!! I did what I felt was right and I would do it again!!!

P.S. masks don't really work against covid in the first place, so I couldn't care less, however that is beside the point. We complied with the mandates set forth, we supplied masks to the gym for the kids who forgot to bring them, however we refused to participate in the "punishment phase"(otherwise known as a witchhunt) against little, forgetful kids & their gymnastics coaches who were doing their best to balance mandates vs safety and reality!!
You do not get to opt out of laws. You can not "refuse to participate". That's not how it works. Either you do as the law says or you don't. If you get caught doing the latter there is a defined punishment. If you think something went wrong, you get an attorney and go to court. It is beyond me how you would teach a kid what law they have to follow but this is one, this is just unreasonable, we do not do this one? Good luck with that. Different story for laws circumventing human rights in a dictatorship and the like, but in a democracy like the US, it just doesn't work like that.

Surely the police recognise that each law must always include a degree of common sense.

As a gym owner you have to attend to the balance of keeping students, staff and parents safe from COVID, but absolutely prioritise keeping students safe from injuries.

You do not get to opt out of laws. You can not "refuse to participate". That's not how it works. Either you do as the law says or you don't. If you get caught doing the latter there is a defined punishment. If you think something went wrong, you get an attorney and go to court. It is beyond me how you would teach a kid what law they have to follow but this is one, this is just unreasonable, we do not do this one? Good luck with that. Different story for laws circumventing human rights in a dictatorship and the like, but in a democracy like the US, it just doesn't work like that.
Yup. That's what I said

Surely the police recognise that each law must always include a degree of common sense.

As a gym owner you have to attend to the balance of keeping students, staff and parents safe from COVID, but absolutely prioritise keeping students safe from injuries.
This is California. Like Australia, there was no common sense when it came to covid-lol. Yet, our numbers were as bad or worse than other states that had common sense-go figure. Not a single case in the gym(until this year). So we created some common sense.

5min was not enough for everyone to grab a mask(obviously), so they were wearing them. However what happens when a 6yr old is in the middle of a tumbling pass, the mask slips, & THAT is when the inspector walks in(I've heard that is what happened, but then someone else said the kid forgot to put it up after the tumbling pass-so I don't know & its not worth speculating on....just that all of us parents chipped in to pay the fine & I started keeping watch so they could make sure all was well).

I DO know I'm glad many of these parents aren't in our gym!! Don't need the drama!! We have a good gym family, our HC doesn't tolerate drama, any that create it often have reasons to find a new gym pretty quickly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back