Coaches Coaching camps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This might be kind of a strange question but I am a college student ex level 9 gymnast and I want to coach. I'm currently just teaching Rec classes but I was wondering if it is possible to work other colleges camps. I helped out with the school I attends camp last year but would like to go to others within driving distance just to get my "foot in the door" so to speak and get some experience. I know this is done in other sports but don't know if it's as common in gymnastics. Any suggestions?

Side note... I know I'm not going to go in and be one of the main coaches. Anything is good (helping out in dorms, assisting with a coach , extra person to help with bigger groups etc)

This might be kind of a strange question but I am a college student ex level 9 gymnast and I want to coach. I'm currently just teaching Rec classes but I was wondering if it is possible to work other colleges camps. I helped out with the school I attends camp last year but would like to go to others within driving distance just to get my "foot in the door" so to speak and get some experience. I know this is done in other sports but don't know if it's as common in gymnastics. Any suggestions?

Side note... I know I'm not going to go in and be one of the main coaches. Anything is good (helping out in dorms, assisting with a coach , extra person to help with bigger groups etc)
I worked at Flip Fest in college. I applied really late in the game and all they had left was a position as a cabin counselor, but some of the other college-aged workers were asked to coach lower level groups- even if they only had prior experience coaching rec. classes. Lots of club coaches come through with their kids as well as college coaches and other "celebrity" coaches. So if you are outgoing and willing to put yourself out there, you can chat with some pretty spectacular people in the sport. Unfortunately, I'm painfully shy and was even worse as an 18 year old, so I didn't make the most of the opportunity. But it's there if you want it.
I think Woodward/IGC also take college students to work as cabin counselors, and with those camps they periodically have coaching sessions in the evenings. Though that would be more of a whole summer commitment than just a week or two.
But really, it never hurts to ask. Most camps have groups of younger/lower level kids that need to be coached and are probably happy to have people who are willing to step in and work with them, and you might even have time during scheduled open gyms to spend time watching/working with a more experienced coach. So if you have a particular camp in mind, just send an email or make a call and see what they have to say.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back