WAG Coaching Exam! Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SXS524

Coach
Gymnast
So very soon I'm going to be taking my UK level 2 women's artistic gymnastics coaching exam (eeek!!) I've been given of skills/conditioning I'll have to coach and I've written down some ideas..

RANGE OF MOVEMENT FOR SISSONE – Oversplits with back leg on mat? 2 x 15 sec each leg?

CONDITIONING FOR HANDSPRING VAULT – Long front support 2 x 15 sec each leg

Vault- Handstand flat back to mat

- Gymnast lies on front, lift to handstand (coach supports feet)

- Handstand hops

- Run and jump off springboard to stand on coaching block with arms swinging up to ears

- Run and jump to drive roll to stack off mats

- Run, handstand flat back to mat

Bars- Progressions for upstart (kip)

Circuit 1

- Upstarts using floor bar on floor (on slope if possible)

- Leg lifts (With coaching block under low bar)

- Glide swing (with bench?)

Circuit 2

- Push to front support from coaching block under low bar

- Elastics - opening and closing shoulders

- Support full skill

Beam – Cartwheel for back s/s dismount

- Handstand on floor come up to stand on toes with arms up

- Cartwheel on floor beam with correct finish

- Cartwheel stretch jump off floor beam

- Cartwheel stretch jump off floor beam on top of block

- Cartwheel back s/s off block (my gymnasts aren't ready to do cartwheel back s/s off beam so will do it off a coaching block)

Floor – Flick (back handspring)

- Dish to arch (on floor? On two springboards pushed together?)

- Bridge with feet on coach block to show arch shape in flick

- Jump back to back lie on coaching block with mat

- Handstand snapdowns

- Full skill

CONDITIONING for cast to handstand- forward roll pike lift to handstand? X 5 ??

TENSION- for back walkover- Bridge- hold each leg up straight 2 x 10 sec ?

What do you guys think? I have to show that I can take the gymnasts through appropriate progressions. The things I'm struggling most with are the Conditioning, Tension and Range of movement things. Especially Conditioning for cast to handstand and tension for back walkover- not sure if there's better ideas out there than what I've come up with? The gymnasts I'm taking aren't very strong and can't cast to handstand yet..
I'm fairly happy with the skills themselves.. I'm most worried about the float upstart (kip) as it's a skills I never learnt as a gymnast so find it harder to relate. Coaches- what are the key things you find yourself saying to the gymnasts so that they get the correct technique? I say things like get your toes to the bar, extend forward on the glide etc.

Sorry for the long winded post! Been posting quite a bit on CB lately, only discovered it a little while ago, and can't believe how much info there is here- so so useful as a coach especially with my coaching exam coming up... I think I'm getting a little addicted haha :p

Anyways any advice would be much appreciated :D

One thing I would say is have a really good look through the logbook, there should be at least a few drills for everything on your list.

For backwalkovers you could have the gymnasts kick up into handstand then slowly split their legs to get the balance aspect sorted (if that makes sense).

A few things that helped me get ready for my level 1 were asking different coaches at my gym for ideas, practicing coaching all the skills with lots of different kids, asking my mentor coach to check over the lesson plan and watching coaching clips on youtube.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice :) Just asked my mentor to check my lesson plan and he thought it was okay :) and gave me a few new ideas. And YES youtube has been so useful for drills etc!

And thank you!

It sounds like you have a great range of drills to show! I just thought I'd add one more---for the glide on kips, I like to use an exercise/yoga ball instead if a bench. It really makes them work on the control. Good luck! It sounds like you'll do great!

Ooh I love that idea :) unfortunately my exam is at a club I don't coach at so I'm not totally sure of the equipment there so they may not have an exercise ball :/ but will definitely use that idea at one of the clubs I coach at (that does have an exercise ball aha!) and thank you :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back