WAG Coaching questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deedee

I am currently coaching a level 3 squad. With the new year all the coaches have come together and we have created the new levels teams for the year. As I coach the first competitive level I usually get a lot of parents questioning why their child has not been placed into this team. We have gone through skill testing and also take into account their age. If they are age turning 7 we don’t move them up so they can train and develop their skills. Flex and strength until they are age turning 8 unless they are extremely talented. This had been working great and I have 10 wonderful gymnasts to coach. Unfortunately 5 other gymnasts parents have complained to the owner that their child should move from pre team into this squad. 1 is age turning 5 three are age turning 7 and have only been in pre team under a year and 1 is age turning 8 however does not train to her full potential does not have a great attitude in the gym and I think is only there because the parents want her to be.
The owner is contemplating letting them into the squad as they are literally hounding her with emails, calls. Coming into the gym. No matter how many times the owner explains the reasons why the parents just don’t understand. They are even talking about it in the waiting room to newly pre team parents saying we don’t care about the gymnasts. If she allows them into the team I will end up coaching 15 gymnasts and I’m afraid I will end up having to focus more on these children (especially the 5 year old) to get them ready for the competition season.
Any advice ?

Ultimately you are the coach and should have final say as to who is ready to move up. Parents can be a little overzealous and think their kids are perfect. They may not realize what their kids lack. And honestly, I would rather my child have to wait until they are ready due to the time and money commitment involved. We are actually in the situation right now where they are wanting my youngest to move to team and I don’t necessarily feel she is ready yet.

Don’t let the parents bully you. Hopefully the owners can understand what you are looking for in terms of preparedness and will trust your judgement.

Allowing parents to talk badly about the gym and its coaching would be a no-no at our gym.

I know you might have limited input but the owner giving in to these pressurising parents is not going to end well for anyone!

For a start these parents introduction to the squad will be “I get what I want if I push enough”. Once these parents have kids on squad it won’t be the end of it. The same will happen if they want their child to move up a level, be allowed to do a new skill etc etc. Could be a nightmare for the owner.

What is more it never stops at just those parents, parents talk to each other. If you give into one or two expect 20 more emails the next day, from parents who have heard about it.

If you do end up with 15 kids on the squad, can they put a 2nd coach on?

You could suggest another way to make these kids “feel” like they are moving up. Change the name of their group, add an extra event during the year etc.

I would get right in there with the owner and explain the situation, and reiterate what someone above said about being pushy. We have people like that on our squad who assume their kids just get whatever they want in terms of what they get to do with this sport. I have to admit, I get a bit of a quiet chuckle when it doesn’t happen, because they are quite successful at manipulation the system of life. I really hope the owner stays strong, because that could really upset your group dynamic, as well as set a precedent for the future.

The 5 year old is not even age-eligible to compete level 3, so right there that is a no.

The issue here is that you clearly have established guidelines for being placed on the level 3 team and assuming that these were set with the owners agreement, they NEED to be followed and here is why: if you make an exception for these parents you open the floodgates.

Yes, they are annoying to the owner, but giving them what they want, in this situation is not the right move. If the girls truly aren’t ready for level 3, then these will be the same parents come meet season who are complaining to you that their kid isn’t doing well/as well as the other girls/not placing/not winning/etc.

Have a meeting with the parents and the owner. But and I agree with Aussie_coach, it could be problematic.

But first have a meeting with owner to be get him/her on board.

Unfortunately the owner is the boss. And if he/she insists there won't be much you can do.

The younger ones you have a clear cut off so that should be easy.

The older one more problematic.

Ultimately you are the coach and should have final say as to who is ready to move up.

I'd like to say that was true. But unfortunately its the owners gym. Really they have the final say.

Should they support the coach? Of course

And sometimes they don't.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have plenty of ideas now and will organise a meeting. I agree if they go up then it won’t stop just there so will discuss with the owner. Thank you again really appreciate it.

The 5 year old is not even age-eligible to compete level 3, so right there that is a no.

The issue here is that you clearly have established guidelines for being placed on the level 3 team and assuming that these were set with the owners agreement, they NEED to be followed and here is why: if you make an exception for these parents you open the floodgates.

Yes, they are annoying to the owner, but giving them what they want, in this situation is not the right move. If the girls truly aren’t ready for level 3, then these will be the same parents come meet season who are complaining to you that their kid isn’t doing well/as well as the other girls/not placing/not winning/etc.

OP is from Australia, level 3 in Australia is equivalent to level 1/2 in the USA. We also have different rules for eligibility.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back