Coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xxStumpyxx

Proud Parent
I am quite interested in learning to coach, sort of like an assistant coach. I currently spend my time doing admin stuff at a playgroup and I sometimes cover for staff members looking after children. For one reason or another I have been spending a lot of time with the children and I have found myself drawn to children with additional needs, there is something regarding being with them, getting a breakthrough, watching them achieve something that makes feel warm inside.

Doing this kind of thing has lead me to think about what it would be like to work with children like that at a gymnastics club, how rewarding it would be to see them achieve things. I don't think I would like to be a coach incharge of a group as I haven't got the personality for it, but I would love to one day help out with a group like this as an assistant. I have no formal qualifications at the moment , but I am not against the idea of training towards the qualifications.

Do you think this is a crazy idea - an impossible dream. Is there any parents out there that have trained to be coaches or are interested in coaching?

Reactions: COz
Lots and lots. In Australia we tend to have two kids on coaches. First the ones who were gymnasts themselves, and secondly the ones who were gymnastics parent and there are almost equal in numbers.

I don't know he things work in Australia, but if you contact the national coaching body, there will be courses yiu can take. You can also,volunteer at gymnastics clubs to shadow the experienced coaches and gain skills.

Reactions: COz
Talk to the gym you are at, usually they will be happy to put you on a course, I guess it depends from club to club but I guess you don't know unless you ask!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back