Parents Coach's Session Fees

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

proud-gym-mom

Proud Parent
I wanted to get some input from other parents and/or coaches, especially those in booster clubs where the booster club coordinates the payment to the coaches for attending the meets (travel expenses and session fees). I'm interested in what your pay policy is specifically for the time they spend coaching during the session. For example, currently our booster club pays:

1. Mileage at the current IRS rates calculated as between the gym and the venue
2. Hotel as actuals within reason
3. Session fee of $70 for each session they coach which is also intended to cover food during the trip

Specifically we're considering increasing the session fee and would like to get some input from parents and/or coaches as to what your gyms/booster clubs do? We love our coaches and want to be fair to them but also need to be able to justify any increases to our parents.

thanks in advance!

We pay our coaches:
Federal mileage rate
per diem based on the gsa for the city they are in
hotel expenses as necessary
$30 session fee per session.

$70 per session seems really good. Why are considering raising it?

THought I would do a "for instance"
This weekend, we had a meet about 2 hours away.
Mileage: 136.28 (57.5 cents per mile for 237 miles.)
Per Diem for 3 days (Fri-Sun) $66/day for this city = $198
hotel for 2 nights: $190
Session fees for 2 sessions; $60
Total = $584.28

He worked 2 sessions on Saturday, and because of the meet setup, was eating in the coaches' room all day. Drove down Friday and back Sunday. That total will be split amongst the 5 boys that attended so each boy will owe $116.86. Booster club will pay for those that are in the booster club, if not in club, parents pay.

We pay our coaches:
Federal mileage rate

It was a general ask from the coaches. Now that you mention it, I think we used to do the per diem and a lower session fee. So if a coach only does one session then the $70 might be a little lower than what you do assuming most places the per diems are about $40-50 a day but if they work multiple sessions then they are better off. We might want to just go back to keeping them separate. One of the reasons that was mentioned was paying for food outside of the session times like on the drive there etc. and that's what makes me think we maybe shouldn't have coupled them because now I think they've forgotten the intent of the change that was made before with combing them.

THought I would do a "for instance"
This weekend, we had a meet about 2 hours away.
Mileage: 136.28 (57.5 cents per mile for 237 miles.)
Per Diem for 3 days (Fri-Sun) $66/day for this city = $198
hotel for 2 nights: $190
Session fees for 2 sessions; $60
Total = $584.28

He worked 2 sessions on Saturday, and because of the meet setup, was eating in the coaches' room all day. Drove down Friday and back Sunday. That total will be split amongst the 5 boys that attended so each boy will owe $116.86. Booster club will pay for those that are in the booster club, if not in club, parents pay.

That's great input. So you would do $30 a session as well and keep the per diem separate. Under our current policy our hotel and mileage would be the same but the total for the food and session fees would be $70 x 2 sessions = $140 which is quite a bit less.

I think we keep it separate for accounting purposes. And I think the coach honestly makes more this way, which I am all for! We switched it to this because the cost of attending a meet in NYC is significantly different than attending a meet in Ohio. So we wanted to be fair to them when attending in more expensive places.

I think we keep it separate for accounting purposes. And I think the coach honestly makes more this way, which I am all for! We switched it to this because the cost of attending a meet in NYC is significantly different than attending a meet in Ohio. So we wanted to be fair to them when attending in more expensive places.

That's a really good point. We tend to stay in the smaller city areas but I now understand why some of them might feel like it's not really enough. I like the idea of keeping it separate and I think I will offer that up to our booster club board as an option that we go back to that. It really does make more sense!

Coaches in my area are generally paid IRS mileage to venue, per diem, actual hotel/flight costs and a per session fee based on experience level of coach. $30 is fairly low, and would actually be below minimum wage as an hourly wage rate for my state.

Our coaches get the IRS mileage rate, $25 per diem, $45 session fee and actual hotel costs for a shared room.

Keep in mind that payment for a session fee could be taxable to the coach whereas a per diem (as an expense reimbursement) is not. Depending on the amount of "fees" for services that are paid, you could have a 1099-MISC filing obligation. Per diems in excess of federal rate are all taxable.

I think that is why we keep the session fee low and pay the maximum per diem for the city. It benefits the coach. I know our coach eats at the hotel for breakfast, at the coaches' room all day, and most of the time stays at a hotel with a happy hour, so he eats there as well. SO he pockets the per diem. Great for him! I am all about being frugal. Our coaches have not complained a bit about this, and most have been quite happy with their reimbursements

Very good points on the session fees being taxable and the per diem not. One of the board members I talked to said the per diem was hard to manage, have others found it hard? How do you deal with partial days?

we don't do partial days. If you have 2 nights in hotel, you have 3 dayas per diem. 1 night in hotel, 2 days perdiem.

These are some of our last few meets. We have no booster club. We pay per meet we attend. Totals split among gymnasts attending the meet. Our session fee for coaches is 75

1 round trip: 400 miles x $0.565 $ 226
Toll: $ 8.15 X 2 $ 16.3
Hotel 2 nights w/ taxes $ 233.42
4 sessions / 8 coaches x $75 $ 600
31 x $1.45 Meet Maker fee $ 44.95
Total $ 1,120.67 / 31 = $ 36.15 per gymnast

3 one way trips (65.8 mi each) 197.4mi & 1 trip from xyz 34 mi
Total travel 231.4 miles x $0.565 $ 130.74
Toll: $1.19 X2 = $ 2.38 Bridge $8 $ 10.38
1 night Hotel w/taxes $ 125.35
Parking for 2 cars $ 40
Team fees for Platinum & Silver $40 each $ 80
Total $986.47 / 25 = $39.45 per gymnast

Coach xyz(Saturday): Travel round trip 110miles x $0.565 $ 62.15
Toll: Bridge $1.25, Bridge $9.75 $ 11
Other coach (Sunday): Travel round trip 121.4miles x $0.565 $ 68.59
Toll: Bridge $1.25, Bridge $9.75 $ 11
Parking $ 22
4 sessions / 7 coaches x $75 $525
Team fees for Level 2, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Diamond @$50 each $250
Total $949.72 / 24 = $39.57 per gymnast

Coach: Travel round trip 130miles x $0.565 $ 73.45
Toll: Bridge $1.25, M/W $1.13 $ 2.38
Coach: Travel round trip 126.4miles x $0.565 $ 71.41
Toll: Bridge $1.25, M/W $1.13 $ 2.38
2 sessions / 5 coaches x $75 $375
Team fees for Level 2, Silver, Bronze, Gold, and Platinum @$50 each $250
Total $774.62 / 30 = $ 25.82 per gymnast

These are some of our last few meets. We have no booster club. We pay per meet we attend. Totals split among gymnasts attending the meet. Our session fee for coaches is 75

1 round trip: 400 miles x $0.565 $ 226
Toll: $ 8.15 X 2 $ 16.3
Hotel 2 nights w/ taxes $ 233.42
31 x $1.45 Meet Maker fee $ 44.95
Total $ 1,120.67 / 31 = $ 36.15 per gymnast

Just a clairifcation for those looking at mileage etc. Federal mileage rate is 57.5 cents per mile.

And actually, ours is not that much different than yours...we just "call" it different. You do not have a per diem rate. This weekend our coach actualy got $60 for for the 2 sessions and $198 per diem. So he got $258 for the 2 sessions. I paid the hotel on the booster card.

It is great that you have so many gymnast to divide the amount. We have so few that the coaches' fees can be a killer.

We pay our coaches:
Federal mileage rate

You have to consider the real possibility that we may spend three days at a meet and only work 3 to 5 sessions. At your rate 5 x $30 is $150. Is anyone here willing to work an entire weekend away from family for 3 days and earn $150? That being said 5x $70 $350 for three days work isn't sounding like a lot now is it...

You have to consider the real possibility that we may spend three days at a meet and only work 3 to 5 sessions. At your rate 5 x $30 is $150. Is anyone here willing to work an entire weekend away from family for 3 days and earn $150? That being said 5x $70 $350 for three days work isn't sounding like a lot now is it...

I do see what you are saying. honestly. But you add to that $150 the $200 in perdiem, and we are at the $350. I really wish coaches made more. I think coaches are worth their weight in gold. But we try to keep it affordable for both the coach and the gymnast and that can be hard at times. I am a teacher, so I get it. I really do. But if you keep reading, you will see what our coach was paid this weekend, and how much it cost each family. I would, honesty love to get paid $350 for 3 days of work. RIgh tnow, I get paid $270 for 3 days of work :( So we really do get it, and we are always trying to figure out a way to make sure our coaches are paid fairly. That is why we do the per diem in addition to the session fees.

I do see what you are saying. honestly. But you add to that $150 the $200 in perdiem, and we are at the $350. I really wish coaches made more. I think coaches are worth their weight in gold. But we try to keep it affordable for both the coach and the gymnast and that can be hard at times. I am a teacher, so I get it. I really do. But if you keep reading, you will see what our coach was paid this weekend, and how much it cost each family. I would, honesty love to get paid $350 for 3 days of work. RIgh tnow, I get paid $270 for 3 days of work :( So we really do get it, and we are always trying to figure out a way to make sure our coaches are paid fairly. That is why we do the per diem in addition to the session fees.
The main difference would be 3 days work away from home vs punching out and going home. After all ,, our time is worth something as well as our work. Hope that makes sense .

The main difference would be 3 days work away from home vs punching out and going home. After all ,, our time is worth something as well as our work. Hope that makes sense .
Again, I agree. In your opinion, how do you make it work? I mean, how do you pay coaches enough without pricing the families out? that is one thing we constantly have to contend with.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back