College Gymnastics Forum?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Can ChalkBucket Become The Premiere Place To Talk College Gymnastics?

• Yes... I think it can

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • No... create a new place for college gym talk

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I'm not a fan so I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent

Can ChalkBucket Become The Premiere Place To Talk College Gymnastics?

Is this possible or not? We have tried many times to get more college talk going here... but it seems like @gym_dad32608 is very correct...

I guess not all or even most parents are not sports fans? I am, and I would love to have a robust board on NCAA teams. I participate in several college football and basketball ones which I find quite engaging and fun. But it doesn't seem to have the same interest for college gymnastics? Maybe its because it seems kinda taboo to have rivalries like you do with other sports where you just want to crush the other team lol. Either way, there is absolutely no place that I have found where you can have a decent discussion about college gymnastics on the internet.

Can ChalkBucket expand or are parents and fans two completely different groups that really don't talk about the same things?

Are there enough people that would be interested in talking college gymnastics for a separate site with a separate vibe? A fast site were discussions update "live" without refreshing the page so people can chat quickly right during a competition?

What do you think?

I don't think there are enough members interested but I do feel the site could go after the college gym fans, bring them in. It would have to be easy for them to find their topics.

I voted no but only because if your stated target demographic on CB is gym parents, then I'm not sure you will get the traction you are looking for....from either gym parents or college gym fans. With that said - I think it would be great to have a separate college gym section here.

I think it would be nice to have a college gym parents forum. Reddit and Facebook are fan based but I think parents' perspectives and concerns are different from fans. College gym parents can discuss gymnastics life, proud moments, hardships, injuries, academics, and just support for one another anonymously. Moderators can initiate discussions to get it going.

It can be current or former who are still following college gymnastics. It needs to be a big enough group to be viable though.

I think it would be nice to have a college gym parents forum. Reddit and Facebook are fan based but I think parents' perspectives and concerns are different from fans. College gym parents can discuss gymnastics life, proud moments, hardships, injuries, academics, and just support for one another anonymously. Moderators can initiate discussions to get it going.

It can be current or former who are still following college gymnastics. It needs to be a big enough group to be viable though.

This would most definitely need to be an “invite only” area… is this what you are thinking? If so… how would parents get approved / invited?

Easy enough - a moderator can validate that an athlete is on a roster of a college team.

This would most definitely need to be an “invite only” area… is this what you are thinking? If so… how would parents get approved / invited?

That part is a bit tricky. I think having mods verify roster is one way, but you lose anonymity. Obviously, I trust the mods' integrity in keeping that info confidential, but people may still hold back and not speak as freely. But I can't think of any other way.

Reactions: JBS
Many of us have future NCAA gymnasts and would appreciate help and advice in the recruiting process, though that is a totally different slant

Given how difficult, challenging and limited getting a college scholarship is, isn't creating an invite only section for these parents really slicing the pie thin? I don't think that creating an exclusive area for a group that is already exclusive would increase traffic.

Given how difficult, challenging and limited getting a college scholarship is, isn't creating an invite only section for these parents really slicing the pie thin? I don't think that creating an exclusive area for a group that is already exclusive would increase traffic.

Hard to say... some in that group have been some of the top posters here.

This would just be a group though... I'm looking for more of a NCAA forum for everyone... fan based.

I follow as much college as my kids do. A lot of parents can probably say the same. My kids are allowed to choose one college meet to watch each weekend, I sometimes watch with them. I would be happy to discuss the meet I saw that week but don't have a vast knowledge of NCAA teams as don't follow them. e.g. my kids are into Utah this year (no idea why) so I know their team and happy to discuss it.

A forum on this site to discuss college gymnastics might be enough to hook my college freshman into the site. She loves watching the D1 meets on line as well as attending the local D1 meets in person when she has time. She has a lot of favorite gymnasts and knows their skills and experiences.

There was a very active L10 private group and a semi active private College group, both for parents of gymnasts in that level. It was really helpful to be able to open up a little more about recruiting, injuries, issues with college dynamics, etc. Many of us were sad to see those groups go and I think there would be good participation if they would come back.

As far as invite only - The long term active members of CB were let in without verification. New members had to verify themselves to a moderator.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back