WAG College recruiting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Oh, I missed "free ride"

This is probably used the same as "full ride" which means the athlete has a full scholarship (ie tuition, room and board are ALL payed for) as opposed to a partial scholarship which doesn't cover everything.

A redshirt is an athlete who is recruited but doesn't compete their first year in order to further develop their skills. The coach seed a great deal of potential in them but they want to spend a year polishing their skills up or there may not be enough room for them on the team at that time. Redshirting extends an athletes eligibility as NCAA rules say they can only compete for 4 years. By redshirting they can train for 1 year and are still eligible to compete the next 4 years

Redshirting is also used if the athlete gets injured before the season starts( or before a certain point in the season for that season not to count for them) ...they "redshirt" the year they are injured ( and therefore do not use one of their 4 years of eligibility) but still can do school , and return the following year ( say as a junior) to finish up their 4 years of eligibility.

Redshirting as described by billise is seen more on football/basketball teams than women's gymnastics teams...generally girls will be counted on to compete when they show up as freshmen (barring injury or academic issues)

@ stormy you might be right in your assumption that once a walk always a walk since scholarships are so limited. Though I know in say football, walks often earn scholarships later on in their career.

My DD is hoping for the same. If she progress as she has been she will be a lvl 10 freshman year, after reading the other thread and looking at gymdiva my DD seems to have started the sport a year or two too late. there is already over 50 or more level tens for her graduating year. Silly me, I thought potentially four years at lvl 10 would make her very recruitable if she had success at that level. Guess we will see in a few years.

I was recruited to a D3 school (no scholarships) and they gave me almost $8k in pell grants, unfortunately it was a private school and that only covered about half. I would assume that walks ons would get a little more assistance as a student athlete vice a student of similar financial background.

I will have to find what it said about splitting scholarships irt title IX, but I thought the article I read said a school could.
I don't think your assumption is silly. Nationally there aren't that many Level 10s - its a demanding sport both physically and emotionally.......so if she stays in it and is not injured during prime recruiting time which is probably as a sophomore/junior, her 2-3 years experience will definitely be in her favor, and the remaining years will ensure she is consistently great to make lineup in college!

@ stormy you might be right in your assumption that once a walk always a walk since scholarships are so limited. Though I know in say football, walks often earn scholarships later on in their career.

My DD is hoping for the same. If she progress as she has been she will be a lvl 10 freshman year, after reading the other thread and looking at gymdiva my DD seems to have started the sport a year or two too late. there is already over 50 or more level tens for her graduating year. Silly me, I thought potentially four years at lvl 10 would make her very recruitable if she had success at that level. Guess we will see in a few years.

I was recruited to a D3 school (no scholarships) and they gave me almost $8k in pell grants, unfortunately it was a private school and that only covered about half. I would assume that walks ons would get a little more assistance as a student athlete vice a student of similar financial background.

I will have to find what it said about splitting scholarships irt title IX, but I thought the article I read said a school could.
I don't think your assumption is silly. Nationally there aren't that many Level 10s - its a demanding sport both physically and emotionally.......so if she stays in it and is not injured during prime recruiting time which is probably as a sophomore/junior, her 2-3 years experience will definitely be in her favor, and the remaining years will ensure she is consistently great to make lineup in college!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back