Parents College Recruiting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rlm's mom

Proud Parent
I have a high school sophomore and don't know much about how recruiting works. I am aware she can have no contact with college coaches until June but is there anything we can do before that to 'catch the coaches attention'? She has a youtube channel and adds new videos regularly... She had received letters from a few colleges that she is on their radar. Anything else we could do this season before the recruiting window opens?
Would appreciate any advice from those more experienced than me!

Make sure she has a gymnastics Instagram account. Then when she emails the colleges that she is interested in... they can follow it if they are interested.

Also... don't show junk. Perfect kip cast handstands are more impressive than big releases that can't catch or dismounts into loose foam.

Also... don't show junk. Perfect kip cast handstands are more impressive than big releases that can't catch or dismounts into loose foam.

Yes...although we had coaches that liked to see progressions of skills.

She is able to email them now, they just can't respond. Once season starts, she should email scores, comp videos and update her IG. She should also try GymStyle and have a website.

Thanks for this! Yes she is registered with NCAA. She has an IG account. She updates her Youtube channel regularly and adds new skills, some progressions and some full routines and comp. videos. She hasn't put on any videos of tumbling into pits which I agree is useless but does have some progression videos of coaches spotting her full-ins and some maloney progressions (along with the finished project).
Her coach had a discussion with her and team-mates who are all '24 grads about what sort of college they are interested in attending and what they want from their college experiences, their strengths and weaknesses etc. so this got my DD thinking. Gym has had many gymnasts previously recruited to college teams so lots of experience there and I'm sure they will help us.
Thanks for all this!

Thanks for this! Yes she is registered with NCAA. She has an IG account. She updates her Youtube channel regularly and adds new skills, some progressions and some full routines and comp. videos. She hasn't put on any videos of tumbling into pits which I agree is useless but does have some progression videos of coaches spotting her full-ins and some maloney progressions (along with the finished project).
Her coach had a discussion with her and team-mates who are all '24 grads about what sort of college they are interested in attending and what they want from their college experiences, their strengths and weaknesses etc. so this got my DD thinking. Gym has had many gymnasts previously recruited to college teams so lots of experience there and I'm sure they will help us.
Thanks for all this!

That is awesome. COaches helping is huge. I know that helped my son.

My one piece of advice, that was huge in helping my son decide, is this....

When deciding where to go, look at offers, look at majors. But most of all, decide. If I could not do gymnastics there, would I still want to go to school there or not.

If no....no matter the offer, it is most likely not a great fit.
If yes, go for it

Also remember to be selective and realistic. If you’re not up to the level of a school… get up to their level before emailing them. Many of the top women’s gymnastics programs will instantly write you off if you send them videos showing that you don’t have their level of gymnastics.

This was advice from some very big names at a college camp that we just attended… at a Q&A with the coaches.

Remember… some schools are pulling in not just elites from the US… but from other countries as well.

Thanks for all this! She has some schools in mind which she thinks would be a great hit for her academically and gym-wise. So will start with those I guess.
Keep the advice coming!

I have a high school sophomore and don't know much about how recruiting works. I am aware she can have no contact with college coaches until June but is there anything we can do before that to 'catch the coaches attention'? She has a youtube channel and adds new videos regularly... She had received letters from a few colleges that she is on their radar. Anything else we could do this season before the recruiting window opens?
Would appreciate any advice from those more experienced than

Instagram is for sure the way to go

So, here is some of what we did.
*have a dedicated email address, youtube channel and instagram that is just for recruiting.
*when emailing coaches, do not send a group email. Send individually to each team, making it personal to that team.
*Communicate with the coaches in their preferred method. SOme preferred IG updates, some liked youtube, some liked text/email.
* Send links to IG and YT in your email
*Include full name and graduation year in signature.

I was wondering how she has already received letters from colleges if they aren't able to communicate with her until after June 15?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back