WAG College vs independent summer camps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok, a bit overwhelmed with all the options... At first I was going to send dd to FlipFest because it's I just a 10hr drive. But I just found out about all these universities offering camps for cheaper.

Which is best? FF is about $750 and a college camp is less than $500 on average. What do you get more at FF compare to Alabama for example? She'll be going alone and her first time. Oh, she's 10 and We're Memphis base. Thanks!!

I only have experience with a college camp. We are days away from FF or IGC so I started looking at closer options. We ended up sending DD to a University 8 hours away from us and she LOVED it. She was totally on her own, 7 years old and had a ball. She did come home with a new skill, but that wasn't expected, just a bonus :) The camp counselors were gymnasts from the universitie's team and the HC of the team was there everyday and worked the girls (most of his time spent with the higher levels understandably). I was very impressed with how organized it was and how much time they spent in the gym.

I went to flip fest and was put in the wrong group, and at flip fest they don't allow you to change groups. Last summer I went to the university of Kentucky's camp and I had a really good time, if your put into the wrong group there you can easily be changed. I also had more gym time and more fun because our rotation wernt just gymnastics we had a game rotation and a craft.

It seems that University Camps are more gym based. While camps like Flip Fest have an even mix of gym time/ more traditional camp like activities, so it depends on what you are looking for. My DD did a university camp last summer and she had 6 hours of structured gym time as well as required open gym each day.

Thank you all! I didn't realize that being in Memphis puts us in the middle if some really great university summer camps! I am looking at Arkansas, Mizzou, Alabama, OKlahoma and LSU. I am a bit concerned about the wrong group deal and not being able to change at FlipFest. That would stink after paying so much for it!

Thank you all! I didn't realize that being in Memphis puts us in the middle if some really great university summer camps! I am looking at Arkansas, Mizzou, Alabama, OKlahoma and LSU. I am a bit concerned about the wrong group deal and not being able to change at FlipFest. That would stink after paying so much for it!

Alabama doesn't have any spots open , some of my teammates wanted to go but..

Apparently a lot of the university camps fill up within hours of opening registration. Word came to us that you pretty much had to know in advance when Alabama opens their camp registration to even have a chance. I'm sure any of the Top 10 NCAA teams are the same - Oklahoma, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Utah, etc.

Hello hello!! :) Thanks for all the info! I didn't realize college camps are that popular!! Well, I have a camp, not college, and dd is excited! It's a local one so no sleepovers but, it seems as fun and being local, a lot cheaper. Now that we know, we'll watch out earlier next time and register early!

My DD has attended Flipfest and Woodward in the past three years and loved them both. Flipfest was as a solo gymnast and she came back with some skills but her HC was less than thrilled with the form and banned them from the gym at that time. But DD had fun until a medical condition ended up derailing her. She missed three days of gym time. But mostly she loved swimming in the lake.

A coach accompanied her to Woodward and she came home with one skill that she is competing this year. When coach decided not to take the group back to camp this summer, I asked about sending DD solo but she asked me not to do that. DD mostly loved the ropes course and having her own bank account...much bigger deal than the kip cast handstand giant. :rolleyes:

Instead the girls are attending the local D1 university camp. The schedule doesn't seem to show much other than gymnastics being done with the exception of a little craft time at the end. We'll see how it goes.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back