Parents Collegiate Acrobatics and Tumbling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym-Mom

Proud Parent
I just recently discovered the college sport of Acrobatics and Tumbling. I didn't even know it existed. Who knows more about it? Are there full scholarships available for athletes or are they generally partial scholarships?

I have posted this video before but will share it again as I think it provides an interesting history of the program.

I just recently discovered the college sport of Acrobatics and Tumbling. I didn't even know it existed. Who knows more about it? Are there full scholarships available for athletes or are they generally partial scholarships?
There are full scholarships available.

At my daughters old gym, quite a few girls each year get acrobatic and tumbling scholarships. Partial and full. More than get gymnastics scholarships actually.

What schools have these, anyone have a list? There is a girl on our team who I just know would have a possibility for this...her mom would be ecstatic to know it exists

One of our part time team coaches competed for Adrian her freshman year, but she transferred to a school back home, so she could coach and attend a State-run university.

While going down the rabbit hole and researching this, I have ended up on several different college Instagram accounts. I looked at Presbyterian College which is the fourth D1 school to add this sport. It looks like they are currently recruiting for their first team. I looked up some of the athletes they recruited and many of them were L7 or L8. It looks like a great opportunity for girls who might start late in gymnastics or who are stronger on floor. My daughter is still in elementary school, but she loves gymnastics and is obsessed with cheer videos (I haven't let her try cheer yet), so it look like something she might like. Of course, who knows what she will want to do when the time comes.

This is a good video that shows the basics of the competition. There is some variation in the start value on some of the events based on difficulty of skills attempted:

1. They compete on a dead mat (non-sprung)
2. LOTS of level 5 cheerleaders enter into this, as all the building skills are similar to those you get from cheerleading which is often difficult for gymnasts to grasp. (disclaimer: gymnasts are extremely talented and athletic & amazing, but stunting is a very unique skill set, and gymnasts can either grasp it easily, or not at all... petite girls often have size to their advantage for flying. But learning to "not balance" often proves difficult)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back