WAG colored ankle brace in competition?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mommyof1

Proud Parent
After some searching I can't find a definitive answer--do braces/supports that do not match the athlete's skin color incur a deduction in competition? On her PT's recommendation, my daughter has been wearing an ankle brace at practice (PT prefers the brace to tape because it is less restrictive). The brace is bright blue. Gymnastics without the brace is perfectly safe, but it's more painful. I also suspect that she is mentally reliant on the brace, and as she is just getting over some other confidence issues I don't want to take away her security blanket right now. Coach says the blue brace is fine. Can anyone reassure me that this information is correct?

What level? (doesn't really matter though). What kind of brace? If I''m thinking of the same blue one you have, they do sell them rather inexpensive in tan.

The blue should be fine (as far as I'm aware), but it draws more attraction to that foot. The judge will notice flexed feet quicker.

We were told the deduction wasn't for color, but for branding. DD wears a brace for Severs and her coach suggested we buy the "competition" version that doesn't have the logo on it.

What level? (doesn't really matter though). What kind of brace?

We were told the deduction wasn't for color, but for branding. DD wears a brace for Severs and her coach suggested we buy the "competition" version that doesn't have the logo on it.

L3, a wraparound neoprene brace. I shopped for one of those stretchy tan elastic braces just for the meet, but none was small enough. It has a logo, but I think it gets covered up when the strap is wrapped. I have seen the "competition" X-brace without logo, and wrist supports seem to be advertised in tan for competition, which is why I got worried.

What division, organization is she competing in?

In USAG, it is fine (no specific deductions for colors or brand logos visible). This may be different in NCAA, AAU, FIG, or other countries.

What division, organization is she competing in?

In USAG, it is fine (no specific deductions for colors or brand logos visible). This may be different in NCAA, AAU, FIG, or other countries.

USAG JO. Thanks for the confirmation.

That explains why the gym sells wrist supports in all colors, but I wonder why the manufacturers try to scare parents about colors and logos. Perhaps to sell everyone two sets of supports/braces?

I suspect some coaches are more picky than others, weather it's against the rules or not.

The color of your skin? This is our gym's request (but not requirement) as well. As close as you can get to your own skin color. That's why they don't say "tan."

In FIG they have to be tan regardless of skin colour. I don't think USAG care but it does take away from the line of the leg/ foot.

In FIG they have to be tan regardless of skin colour. I don't think USAG care but it does take away from the line of the leg/ foot.
But tan can take away the line of the foot depending on skin color.

Some coaches/gyms make different rules. Just like the rule to move up is usually a 31ish all around (I think?) by USAG, some gyms make rules of 36s or certain skills. Some gyms are just pickier.

I think there are pretty strict rules in NCAA, FIG, and maybe boys about visible logos. In USAG on the girls side, there isn't a rule about braces being tan or logos covered, but some coaches and judges prefer it.

Ok, I never gave the logo a thought but I can see it. And I realize that these are really stabilizers, not necessarily injury related.

But of course now that you all have pointed it out.

I can't help thinking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Injury brought to you by................ Oy:eek::D

Dd has been wearing a black ankle stabilizer most of the season without issue. Once, after a bad fall and a sore back, she was wearing kt tape on her back and it showed out the top of her Leo. One of the head judges thought it was a sports bra and told her coach she would have to take it off. After explaining to the judge that it was kt tape, it was inspected by the judges and then she was allowed to continue to compete with it on. Luckily, it didn't shake up dd!

Interestingly enough, apparently in t&t color matters. My DD wore blue wrist braces all summer (they matched her team leo) and at her first meet this season the judges told her coaches that she wouldn't be able to wear them anymore, that they must be tan or black. We had to order new ones before the second comp. the coaches had approve the blue but I guess the rules changed. I think it's a silly rule.

In JO our HC told me it doesn't actually matter BUT it's better to do nude if you can because colored supports can draw attention to an area you don't want to highlight at that moment. For instance if you're taping your ankle in bright pink, the judges eyes will go there and you will likely not be pointing your feet well with an ankle injury... ;)

Dd has been wearing a black ankle stabilizer most of the season without issue. Once, after a bad fall and a sore back, she was wearing kt tape on her back and it showed out the top of her Leo. One of the head judges thought it was a sports bra and told her coach she would have to take it off. After explaining to the judge that it was kt tape, it was inspected by the judges and then she was allowed to continue to compete with it on. Luckily, it didn't shake up dd!

See that is just creepy to me. An adult telling a girl to go without a bra in public jumping up and down. Good grief take the deduction.

I would expect any coloured tape to be overtaped in tan. But our rules are different.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back