WAG Comeback after 2 years?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Salto

Gymnast
hi chalk bucket,
it has been two years after I have quit gym. Until about a month ago, I didn't miss it at all. But now I have found myself trying on old Leo's, having dreams about being back at gym and watching gymnastics montages. Is a comeback even possible after that long? How would I go about doing it? Coaches:would you "retrain" a gymnast after they had been away all that time? Thanks:)

Agree, no reason not to try. Some gyms may not take you, but that means they're not the right place for you to be. I would think the starting point would be to speak with your parents and have them make some calls.

Just be mentally prepared to take a step down from where you were before. Some skills will come back easily. Others will not. We had an optional who left for over 2 years (left as a L9) and came back to compete L7. She did very well at L7 -- probably could have done L8, but the comeback goal was not the same. It was to enjoy the experience - be back with her friends doing the sport she loved. Another optional left as a L9 (was out just over a year) and came back to compete L10. She was a very good L9 and an equally good L10 though, so occasionally great things are possible.

Good luck!

Hell yeah, I took a break for a solid 5 years and I'm back competing and coaching and judging for 3 years now and I love it! I never would have done all that if I had stayed in the sport back then. It stressed me out and I needed time to discover what's outside the gym. There's nothing wrong with that. Turns out, there is just nothing quite like gymnastics.
Sometimes a break is needed to fall in love again. ;)
Just don't throw yourself into it head over heals. Set up a trial period for yourself to see if it's still for you.
Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back