WAG Commentators

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

New commentator is Terry Gannon -- he's experienced and has established a bit of a following for announcing Ice Skating. He's a very versatile announcer and not specific to one sport. And hopefully he won't shame and embarrass both himself and the gymnastics community a la Mr Trautwig.

Terry Gannon is a former college basketball player (NC State in the 80s) who has commentated for many different sports - most notably in the last couple of Winter Olympics for figure skating alongside color commentary announcers Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir. The trio is a bit of an odd combination- but has worked really really well for the ice skating audience.
I’m guessing NBC is trying to get the same thing going for gymnastics.... but no way Nastia and Tim can be nearly as entertaining as Tara and Johnny.

Please please tell me now until the Olympics for US meets will be not be listening to Nastia’s “me, my, I” and fellow commentators talking about her past which was a while ago now. I can’t stand that. Next time I am recording and fast forwarding through commentary where possible if she is on TV. It’s like listening to the old football team at the 10 year class reunion. I wish they would stick to background and discussion of current or recent competitors.

Please please tell me now until the Olympics for US meets will be not be listening to Nastia’s “me, my, I” and fellow commentators talking about her past which was a while ago now. I can’t stand that. Next time I am recording and fast forwarding through commentary where possible if she is on TV. It’s like listening to the old football team at the 10 year class reunion. I wish they would stick to background and discussion of current or recent competitors.

Nastia is the worst. She needs to realize that no one cares.

I get the impression she grew up with all the benefits of nepotism then was a favorite of USAG. Her job is now not celebrity ex gymnast, it is commentator. She has been handed that opportunity and if she wants to be great at it, she should focus on being the best commentator she can be. The ex gymnast celebrity is no longer glowing brightly for her. Tara and Johnny have made that transition and are quirky fun commentators who seem well prepared and give great background. They are well known now as a commentator duo. Nastia has not made that professional transition, give someone else that chance in my humble opinion.

In her defense, Nastia has no chance of becoming a "Tara and Johnny" type duo when her partners have been Tim Daggett and Al Trautwig. Neither of them is a skilled partner and they often lead her down the path of sharing her experience as a gymnast by asking her direct questions about it. She's definitely better with others - but we can blame NBC for Tim & Al...they've both been there far longer than Nastia.

In her defense, Nastia has no chance of becoming a "Tara and Johnny" type duo when her partners have been Tim Daggett and Al Trautwig. Neither of them is a skilled partner and they often lead her down the path of sharing her experience as a gymnast by asking her direct questions about it. She's definitely better with others - but we can blame NBC for Tim & Al...they've both been there far longer than Nastia.
I agree with you on this thought. Personally though, I don’t think Tim is that bad. There are always a few moments where he brings up certain topics too much, says his annoying catch prhases (gymnastics 101), or says things that are a bit too overly critical of the athlete. However, he does know a lot, and he has been a good commentator way more than he’s been a bad one.

Al Trautwig however… I really can’t think of anything redeeming to say about him. :rolleyes:

I agree with you on this thought. Personally though, I don’t think Tim is that bad. There are always a few moments where he brings up certain topics too much, says his annoying catch prhases (gymnastics 101), or says things that are a bit too overly critical of the athlete. However, he does know a lot, and he has been a good commentator way more than he’s been a bad one.

Al Trautwig however… I really can’t think of anything redeeming to say about him. :rolleyes:

I brought up this topic, because I did like Al Trautwig. I like his voice and how he asks questions. It makes it seem like he doesn’t know the topic, but they’re questions someone like me watching would have. I also thought he was funny. Also, I wondered about Andrea Joyce because they ended up putting this big headset on Simone to interview her instead of having someone on the floor. I really like Tim and Nastia too. I also liked John Rothlisberger, Shannon Miller and Amanda Borden when they used to do commentary.

Many people (myself included) thought Al was rude, inappropriate and at times offensive. Like when he suggested all the Dad’s look away from Laurie’s dancing because she’s not 18 yet...I think she was 13 or 14 at the time. Or the time he made repeated comments during the Olympics referring to Simone’s parents as her “Grandfather and his wife” even after she personally stated in several interviews that they were her parents.

And then when he doubled-down on that commentary in the next broadcast.

And Tweeted about it too — “They may be mom and dad but they are not her parents,” :confused:

And then was forced to apologize, which he finally deigned to do 2 days later. There are many more examples of his less-than-stellar moments, so that’s why a lot of gym fans don’t like him.

Many people (myself included) thought Al was rude, inappropriate and at times offensive. Like when he suggested all the Dad’s look away from Laurie’s dancing because she’s not 18 yet...I think she was 13 or 14 at the time.

I totally agree with the sentiment, and Al has certainly said some sleazy things over the years, but sadly this particular quote was Tim Daggett. Struck me as massively creepy at the time. It was during the senior women's day 2 p&g broadcast when they played Laurie's routine as a highlight from the juniors.

Those comments about Simone's parents though... I think a lot of the gymnastics community wrote Al off forever (and rightly so.) There's simply no excuse, and it was such a weird point for him to dig in his heals about.

Ugh - forgive me. I thought that was Al too, but I am now hearing Tim’s voice. Either way - a gross statement from that broadcast team long before Nastia came on board.

Terry Gannon is a former college basketball player (NC State in the 80s) who has commentated for many different sports - most notably in the last couple of Winter Olympics for figure skating alongside color commentary announcers Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir. The trio is a bit of an odd combination- but has worked really really well for the ice skating audience.
I’m guessing NBC is trying to get the same thing going for gymnastics.... but no way Nastia and Tim can be nearly as entertaining as Tara and Johnny.
Nastia is not entertaining.

I dislike Tim strongly. I find him very critical, very negative and condescending of the athletes. He is the first to jump all over any minor error and basically say that’s the end for the kid....... id rather the fluffy commentary of nastia any day.... but Tim? Time for him to go with the rest of the previous usag cabinet.....

I dislike Tim strongly. I find him very critical, very negative and condescending of the athletes. He is the first to jump all over any minor error and basically say that’s the end for the kid....... id rather the fluffy commentary of nastia any day.... but Tim? Time for him to go with the rest of the previous usag cabinet.....
BUT... we have made it through 3 days, and I have only heard "Gymnastics 101" ONCE. And he says it will cost the person.

I’m mixed on this. So many people get upset about low scores, they have no idea what gets deducted. Tim explains these errors.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back