WAG Compete or not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mkwh

Proud Parent
DD is a new level 7 this year. First meet is tomorrow. She has felt really confident about floor, vault and beam, hit or miss with bar dismount. Wed night in practice she rolled her ankle on a beam full turn and fell. It hurt but they only hard bars left to do. We iced at home but I didnt think a big deal, you know they get little aches and pains all the time. Thurs she goes to school. She has no swelling and can walk fine ( no limp). Slight mild pain while walking but no biggie. In PE they had to run laps ( I didnt know this and would have opted her out if I did or if I knew the ankle hurt more than I realized). But she was able to do it. Gave her ibuprophen and put icy/hot on it before gym. Still walking fine and no swelling. Did bars first and that was fine. Vault next and she said it hurt really bad when she vaulted. Enough that she sat and iced the rest of practice and didnt do floor or beam. Tonight they have no practice to rest for the meet tomorrow. Last night we iced and elevated. Still no swelling and walking fine. But she says it hurts a fair amount. I asked her this morning if she wanted to compete and she said yes. The pain is on the outside of the ankle sort of between the ankle bone and the achilles tendon. I figured if she could walk fine and it wasnt swollen that it wasnt too much of a big deal but if vault hurt so much that she couldnt run through floor and beam I dont know what to think?! :( She is not one to milk an injury at all, in fact she is the opposite and will rarely even tell coach if something is hurting.

Get it looked at! My daughter pushed through an ankle issue in level 9. A fracture that doesn't get the chance to heal properly can end up a bone spur. My DD had to have surgery later to clean up the ankle.

I'd get her checked out. Not worth further injuring the ankle or getting hurt because her ankle gives out or something.

Reactions: sce
I am adding to the get it checked camp. Not sure her age, but just an FYI - before growth plates are closed kids usually fracture their growth plate, vs spraining their ankle. Best to find out for sure what is wrong and how serious or not, before continuing to use it.

Mine did something similar last season and it ended up being an ankle sprain. I pulled her from a meet that came up that weekend (it was the meet before state). I honestly think that was the only way she could've competed state (she already was dealing with heel pain from Severs). Would definitely get it checked and probably skip the 1st meet. As someone else says, better to rest it now than have to miss more meets because she does further damage by continuing to train/compete.

If she can't do practice, IMHO she can't do a meet.
And there is no way I would be OK with it. She could cause even more damage. I am sorry that it happened right before, but there is still much of each season to go. I am really your child would rather forfeit 1 meet vs the whole season.

My son walked and even competed on a broken ankle. Get it checked.

I somehow managed this feat too! Broke it on a Friday at training, competed Sunday, training and school as usual Monday-Wednesday. Then went to hospital A&E and found out I had a broken ankle and stress fractures in my upper ankle. Oopsy [emoji16]

I somehow managed this feat too! Broke it on a Friday at training, competed Sunday, training and school as usual Monday-Wednesday. Then went to hospital A&E and found out I had a broken ankle and stress fractures in my upper ankle. Oopsy [emoji16]
I know a girl who competed her first meet ever with a broken back. Her only complaint had been mild hip pain.
After the meet, her mom took her to urgent care because the pain was a little worse. She was out the rest of the season.

To OP, get it checked - better safe than sorry!

^^^^ can't like this. But how did she only have mild hip pain!! Yikes [emoji33]
No clue. She had described the pain to her mom and the coach (who happen to be good friends outside of gym) and it didn't seem like a big deal. She thought she slept on it wrong at first. She didn't miss a practice. She participated in gym at school. Everyone was clueless. Then, she ended her first meet on floor (Old L4). She landed her RO-BHS and finished the routine. Then she told HC that her hip was hurting more??? So HC talked to mom. They decided she needed to go to urgent care - there was one just up the road. The girl said she wanted to wait until AFTER awards, so they did - she didn't act like it was REALLY hurting bad or anything. Found out her back was broken and she was in a back brace for 3 months… then physical therapy for 3 months.

DD is a new level 7 this year. First meet is tomorrow. She has felt really confident about floor, vault and beam, hit or miss with bar dismount. Wed night in practice she rolled her ankle on a beam full turn and fell. It hurt but they only hard bars left to do. We iced at home but I didnt think a big deal, you know they get little aches and pains all the time. Thurs she goes to school. She has no swelling and can walk fine ( no limp). Slight mild pain while walking but no biggie. In PE they had to run laps ( I didnt know this and would have opted her out if I did or if I knew the ankle hurt more than I realized). But she was able to do it. Gave her ibuprophen and put icy/hot on it before gym. Still walking fine and no swelling. Did bars first and that was fine. Vault next and she said it hurt really bad when she vaulted. Enough that she sat and iced the rest of practice and didnt do floor or beam. Tonight they have no practice to rest for the meet tomorrow. Last night we iced and elevated. Still no swelling and walking fine. But she says it hurts a fair amount. I asked her this morning if she wanted to compete and she said yes. The pain is on the outside of the ankle sort of between the ankle bone and the achilles tendon. I figured if she could walk fine and it wasnt swollen that it wasnt too much of a big deal but if vault hurt so much that she couldnt run through floor and beam I dont know what to think?! :( She is not one to milk an injury at all, in fact she is the opposite and will rarely even tell coach if something is hurting.

no competing.

curious what happened. hope you update!

dd did that at the beginning of last season (lvl 4). rolled her ankle walking down the rod floor. She'd just done a FT and was fine. then walking, it rolled. she finished practice but it was towards the end and came home and complained but i was like it will be ok. woke up the next morning complained it hurt said it was a little blue so i actually looked at it. sigh. swollen. and blue. took her to the dr and got an x-ray and it was ok. she's sobbing at the dr's b/c i'm telling her i don't think she can compete the first meet in 6 days. it was tissue damage but def a sprain. we ended up taping her up and pulling her out of gym at school for a couple of weeks and she competed bars and beam (taped and got lots of deductions for unpointed feet) for the 1st two meets and no tumbling/vault for 1+ months at all. she also did physical therapy. maybe a little over kill but i was getting NO guidance from our pedi about what to do and my own workout gym has an excellent sports PT program which our gym was using at the time so we went there. she did PT for 4 weeks and then went on to compete a full meet at meet 3 and on. no issues with the ankle at all now. it was worth it though she wanted to compete all 4 events and it was tough for her. i wanted it to be fully stable = no possibility of a 2nd roll and making it worse.

It may just be a mild sprain and may be required to be off her foot for 2-4 weeks. It is early in the season that if she is required to rest it, she'll still have a good portion of the season to compete. If the sprain becomes worse, she may lose the entire season. I would definitely get it checked. I would not risk further injury for the first meet of the season.

Ankle i juries can be so tricky! It can be anything from a light sprain (ice and rest a few days, good to go!) to a more serious sprain that lingers for months or broken or growthplate injuries or..... DD has actually competed with a sprained ankle, last year she was all taped up for two of her meets and definitely took a hit (especially on floor amplitude). But, we KNEW what was wrong and she was OK with it taped up.
This summer she worked through a much more serious sprain and even though we knew what was wrong, there is no way she could have competed with that one. She was off all tumbling/landing/vault, even beam acro, for over 2mo.

Would love to hear an update! Unfortunately your post ended up being timely for us....

DD rolled her ankle late last week landing a leap -- she stayed off it for the rest of that practice -- but no swelling/bruising so was back to practice the next day. Now, five days later, she says it is hurting more. Pain is along the outside of the foot. She will stay off of it for the next five days (thank goodness we are traveling for Thanksgiving), but I'm not sure what to do after that. Pediatrician gave me the name of a sports medicine (orthopedic) doc, but I doubt I'll get in any time soon.... and next meet is first weekend in December. Fingers crossed it is feeling better by the end of our holiday weekend!

Thank you everyone! Im sorry you are facing this also CLgym. Update: I was all set to take everyones advise and get it checked last Fri. But when i got her after school she said it hadnt hurt at all. I had her do various things like hop on one foot on it, run, etc and I rubbed and put pressure on the whole area and nothing hurt. No practice that night so we just chilled and rested. Saturday I let her compete. Bars was a mess but that was expected and not related to the foot. The rest I think she did awesome for a first meet on a new level. She landed her beam series and stuck the dismount. Floor tumbling was very strong and she got a 9.15 and she stuck her vault with great blocking and aplitude and got 9.125 placing onto podium. After the meet she did say it was hurting a little bit. Sun we rested all day and watched a Harry Potter marathon all day long! LOL She has been to practice Mon, Tues and Wed and able to participate in everything and has had no pain. So I think she is fine thankfully!!

Pediatrician gave me the name of a sports medicine (orthopedic) doc, but I doubt I'll get in any time soon.... and next meet is first weekend in December. Fingers crossed it is feeling better by the end of our holiday weekend!

If your referral is not able to see your daughter soon, I would ask some of the optional parents at the gym for a sports medicine referral. We have a local one that treats many gymnasts. His office is really good about squeezing in new patients if they know the kid is a gymnast.

Sending healing fairies your way!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back