Off Topic Competing alone at Xcel States Championships

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At my gym, I am the only girl competing in my age division for states. Many of my other teammates are competing with others in their age group and others are also competing alone. I am nervous because I never compete alone. If you guys have any tips to stay calm/compete alone?\ I would really appreciate if you commented below.

Thank you! :D

This is pretty common at state meets. With the exception of those gyms that purposely choose their teams based on age, there will be a lot of gyms that have just one or two per session. While my dd never really "liked" this situation, she always did fine. All the gymnasts would bond together, cheering for everyone while competing, even when she was placed on her own in a group (this happened a lot more as she advanced the levels). She talked with other solo gymnasts and met some that she kept in touch with across her career. You have your coach's individual attention, which can be really helpful for a stressful meet, if you have a good relationship with them.

My dd has had girls compete alone that were placed in her group. Her and her teammates always talked with them and cheered for them.

I always loved competing alone. You get 1 on 1 attention from the coach and for warmups you can just run through your routine since you don't have to share time. Just try to relax and have fun. Competing by yourself is also great as you can get to know your coach better.

I always loved competing alone. You get 1 on 1 attention from the coach and for warmups you can just run through your routine since you don't have to share time. Just try to relax and have fun. Competing by yourself is also great as you can get to know your coach better.
Thanks this is very helpful.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back