WAG Competing in Practice Leotard???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AWGym

Proud Parent
Hi everyone,

So YDD has been on pre-team for the past year. Originally, the plan was for her to move up to level 3 in June, but our gym went through a major head coach switch and our new HC decided that nobody in the pre-team group that was originally supposed to move up was ready to compete...so he decided to keep everyone in the pre-team group for another year and was planning on competing them next season (Fall 2016). It was pretty disappointing at first, especially since YDD thought she was moving up. But our new HC was pretty convincing about his plan to implement a better strength program and focus on shapes, etc. Plus YDD was only 6 at the time (7 currently), so it wasn't a HUGE deal.

Well fast forward to today, HC has brought me and two other families in and has said our daughters have made a lot of progress over the past few months and he thinks they can compete THIS SEASON! I was shocked to say the least...I hardly ever stay and watch practice otherwise I'd live in the gym (ODD is level 4).

Obviously it's pretty late in the fall to hear this news....the rest of the team (including ODD)'s first meet is about a month away. And these 3 girls still have to learn beam and floor routines (they're all 7....and when ODD was learning the level 3 routine at that age, it was a nightmare). But HC says he'd like these girls to compete their first meet in December (everyone else's 2nd meet). They already have all their skills, it will just be a matter of learning the routines and cleaning them up.

But if that all works...we only have one problem....the leotard. Our gym gets new competition leos every 2 years and this is there second year wearing them.....so next year will be a new leo year for everyone. This year they did a leotard swatch for all the new kids and the gym bought the leotards from those that quit or moved, etc. SOMEHOW, everyone has a leo. Except of course, the 3 new ones. Since we're getting new leos next year, I really don't want to throw out $90 on a leo + $80 on a warmup for YDD will wear the leo to only 5 meets...and then turn around next year and spend $90 again on a new leo. PLUS...we'd have to pay a ton in shipping to get them here faster. HC understands this and says they can just wear their exhibition practice leo to the meets. We already have it, so their wouldn't be a time crunch.

But does this look tacky? All the other 3s will be wearing their competition leotard except 3 of them will be wearing tanks. Granted they will be the same colors as the other girls...but still. I've never seen any teams do this.

What do you think?
Sorry for such a long post!

At my first meet ever last year my leotard didn't come in time and I competed in a practice leo in similar colors of my team's leo. I was the only one without the nice long sleeved Leo and I feel I stood out. Since there are 2 other girls though I don't feel it would be as big of a deal, plus some girls prefer to compete in tanks. It's all a matter of personal preference and she won't be alone so it shouldn't be too bad to compete in a tank.

At one of my ODDs meets last season a girl had her leo rip AT the meet. They bought similarly colored one from a vendor and got on with it. At my YDDs first meet this season she didn't have her competition leotard (long story) and they said she court wear any leo in the color scheme. I would think it's no biggie at all.

Reactions: COz
We just had our first meet yesterday, and a few girls who didn't get their leos in time competed in their practice leos. Mind you our competition leo is red, and our practice leo is blue, so of course they stood out, but who cares?
I think it's great that they get to compete this year! Good Luck!

Reactions: sce
We just had a meet where our old L4s were scoring out of L5, and on to optionals.
They all already got their new optionals leo. They should have all worn their compulsory leo, but two wore the new optionals one. Two of the other girls never got the newer compulsory leo, so they were wearing the "old" compulsory leo. And two were wearing the current compulsory leo.
So, three different leos across 6 girls. Now, they were all the same colors, etc, but different. Now, they were all long sleeve, so not a sleeve difference, but, like just said - with three of them together, I think they'd be fine.

I have seen this happen with tank leos too though, and honestly, all I said to myself was "I guess they ordered the wrong size" or anything of that nature. As long as the girls are okay with it, then to me, it doesn't matter if someone else doesn't like it.

Or, is there anyone on different levels that these three girls could borrow the leo from if they compete in different sessions on different days?

Congratulations to your dd! I don't think it would be a huge deal either. We've had a few girls that didn't have their leo in time and wore a previous season's leotard without issue. I agree that you are lucky that your gym will let you do it though. I am pretty sure my dd's gym would require you to purchase the competition leotard regardless, especially since it's only one less meet than the other girls that had to buy it. I know it will only be used for one season, but that's not too uncommon either. We only got one year (6 meets) out of my dd's competition leotard last year and it cost way more than $90. :( The rush shipping though does make it harder. How does your dd feel about it? Would she be upset to look different than the rest of the team (other than the other 2 new girls)? If not, I would save the money and use the leotards you have.

The year my DD competed level 7 the returning 7's had a different leo than the new 7's. Also, DD changed gyms this year and there's a decent chance she'll end up competing in a practice tank the first meet of the season, unless we can talk someone into loaning her one for that meet -- someone who left the gym or is competing on a different day. There will be another girl new to the gym in a different level in the same boat as well as several girls who just moved up from compulsories may end up competing in their old compulsory leo along side girls also in level's 6&7 who will have the optional's leo on. Congrats to your DD!

We just got our new competition leotards, and mine doesn't fit, the shoulder don't stay up. It took 3 moths for those leotards to get there our first meet is in December plus it will have to be a custom fit. Lord know what I'll be wearing but I will not be competing in the Leo that doesn't fit. Probably going to have to buy a tank leotard close to what our leotards look like. It's not a big deal.

Our new leos won't come in time for our first comp this year, so we are wearing practice ones for the first. It's really not a big deal. Congrats on her getting to compete this season! So exciting for her!

Two years ago, GK completely cancelled our team leotards December 1. We added 2 girls Dec 14. We were able to rearrange with a spare then current leo and switch with my OG for one girl and the other girl wore OG's old style leo (totally different look).

This past year, we faced teams that had a couple girls competing in tanks while the rest of the team competed in long sleeve leos for the same reason - end of leo cycle and moved up from pre-team late.

There were several teams at worlds that competed prelims in sleeveless leos. If it works at worlds, it should be fine for level 3. I think she will be fine. Also, it's great that the coach is being supportive.

I am pretty sure that our HC would make us buy the leo. I think that even if they didn't I would do it since the other girls will have them. They are a team, and now as a part of the team, I would think that your DD would want to look and feel a part of the team. That said, I have seen girls compete in sleeveless leos before.

Very exciting!!!
I would think it would be fine.
However, my sensitive soul of an 8 year old would not (I just asked her). If we were in this situation, and my child felt uncomfortable, I would compromise....because the HC said it was fine, if it meant that much to my dd, she would pay for half the leotard. When I presented this to her she felt it was very fair, because it was a want, not a need.

So...my opinion on the matter is check with your child casually. She is probably so euphoric that it does not matter...but it would matter greatly to my dd...she said she would feel the others would look at her as the 'one who just made it.' And yes, she has dealt with snide behavior in the past, which is why she feels this way. Good luck!!!

We just got our new competition leotards, and mine doesn't fit, the shoulder don't stay up. It took 3 moths for those leotards to get there our first meet is in December plus it will have to be a custom fit. Lord know what I'll be wearing but I will not be competing in the Leo that doesn't fit. Probably going to have to buy a tank leotard close to what our leotards look like. It's not a big deal.

A tailor should be able to fix this for you.

I think it would be fine, but if your DD is uncomfortable being "different", perhaps there is a girl of similar size competing in a different session that would loan your DD her leo? I know we've done that when there was an emergency need. DD's coach tells a story of when she got to a travel meet and realized she didn't have her leo. Another team mate and she traded off -- in the same session! So girl 1 went first in the rotation, they ran to the bathroom, girl 2 put on leo, competed last in the rotation... Can't imagine what a circus that must have been!

As others have said can't see any problem and its three of them so not feeling like the only one.
But can she not borrow her sisters?
Mine shared a track suit (warm ups) for two years, lol.

I know kids worry about standing out, but to everyone else it's no big deal. There is one team we see at meets who wear several different leo styles in the same team colors. They look cute, but no one is really paying attention to their attire.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back