WAG Competing in Practice Leotard???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know kids worry about standing out, but to everyone else it's no big deal. There is one team we see at meets who wear several different leo styles in the same team colors. They look cute, but no one is really paying attention to their attire.
When the teams we compete against change leotards, they often let girls who just purchased new the year before keep theirs - usually they keep colors and just change styles. That leads to different styles in the same session.

We had a L7 that joined our team one year too late to get a Leo. She wore her old team's Leo (they closed down). It was dark blue. Our warm ups had dark blue on them, but not our Leos. Of course she was older and didn't care - she was just happy to be competing!

Reactions: sce
Our gym if you compete you order the Leo. If it doesn't make it in you can compete in a different one until the new one comes in. But you are on the hook even if there is a change coming up. Happened to us gym switch on Sept, my girls Leo didn't come in until Dec.

If your coach is OK with the whole season, run with it.

Reactions: sce
My son's first year competing he moved to team really late. The boys all already had their uniforms. There was no way to get him one until halfway through the season (he moved up to team about a month before the first competition and they had custom singlets). He wore one of the optional boy's old singlet that had been the kid's uniform 2 uniforms before. DS was the only one in that singlet. It was sort of the same color as the other boys, though much darker. I kind of liked it. I could always pick him out of the crowd easily. LOL

Couple of thoughts......
First of all, count your blessings...$90 for a leo, $80 for a warmup, sheesh I wish!
Secondly, count your blessings AGAIN! $90 for a leo, $80 for a warmup times 2 in back to back years, barely covers my DD's comp leo! Warm up attire NOT INCLUDED!
But after that.....
A) wear big sis's leo if they are comparable in sizes
B) contact the manufacturer, there may be a leo of the same style without all the glitz in stock, this is what we did for DD's first comp ever.
C) let them rock those tank leos!!! They will be cute little gymmie bugs!

Yep to what gymom said. We have hand off the Leo with someone in a different session.

Thanks everyone! From the area I'm from I've never seen any other teams wear tanks at meets so I was a little weary at first (granted I've only been going to meets for 2 seasons). So these messages really opened my eyes and helped a lot!

YDD is pretty shy so it might be uncomfortable for her at first, but she'll have other girls in her same situation and it'll only be for 5 meets - so she'll just have to deal with it ;)

I obviously first tried for her to wear ODD's leo, crossing my fingers that it might fit, but unfortunately YDD wears a CS leo (she's very short) and ODD wears a CL-AXS (she is tiny but has a much longer torso). Poor ODD was swimming in her leo lol. VERY baggy...in ALL places.

And yes, we are super grateful for our leo costs! In the past, our gym tried to keep compulsory leos under $100 and optional leos under $200. And everyone has the same warm up. HOWEVER, I was just told TODAY by the assistant coach (I was discussing my dilemma with her on ordering YDD a leo or not) that they are actually planning on everyone getting the same leo next year because it will be a lot easier for swapping purposes. She said the leo will run around $150. So now I'm definitely not buying YDD a comp leo for 5 meets...not when I'll be paying $300 in leos alone next year :eek: (still grateful...it could be worse).

, I was just told TODAY by the assistant coach (I was discussing my dilemma with her on ordering YDD a leo or not) that they are actually planning on everyone getting the same leo next year because it will be a lot easier for swapping purposes.

This is how our gym does it, team is team. Leo is the same.
It really does make it easier to trade and hand down.

Again, I would also see if there is a kid at a different level to borrow from if you all don't have the same session.

I don't think they will stand out, I've often see the younger girls wearing practice leos at competitions. Would it be possible to order them an off-the-rack long sleeved leotard for the three of them so they match if they are worried about the practice leos?

I'm one who has gone through 1 tank leo (old L2 for 3 meets), 1 $90 leo for spring, 1 $90 leo next season (7 meets) because she grew over the summer, 1 $90 leo the following season (7 meets) because she decided to grow even more. And now 1 $265 optional leo because she moved up into optionals. I'm averaging over $100/year in comp leos :)
I told her she's not allowed to grow any more.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back