Competing on injuries?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I competed my first year of level 7 with a fractured wrist and my second year of level seven with a stress fracture in my back. Of course I didn't know I had those injuries, otherwise I would have not competed.

Last year was my first year of high school gymnastics and it was also the first year that I competed tsuks. I landed one really short at one of my home meets and I knew there was something messed up with my ankle. (kind felt like I broke it or otherwise a really bad sprain) I competed the rest of the year with that injury and was in really really bad pain at every meet and practice but I didn't want to stop because I was competing on varsity and I also didn't bother to tell anyone until the season was over. With that I did 3-4 months of pt, was put in a walking boot and the most recently put in a cast. I never really broke or anything but the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. This summer I couldn't do anything so I was bummed about that. Now I have to wear an ankle brace for two weeks and have another doctor's appt on Thursday.

So I learned that if you get hurt, tell someone and don't wait until the end of the season otherwise you will just have more problems with the injury. haha:p

I competed 2 years with a fracture and hernitated disk in my lower back. also my friend broke her heal on the first event at states and finished the meet

probably one of the biggest meets (in size) i have EVER competed in in my LIFE, and i sprained my hand tumbling five days earlier, surprisingly i did really well, i won vault, i got third on floor, and i did really well on beam, i scratched bars, but it was a REALLY good meet for me.

wow...this is scary...
how do you people DO that!!!
I think I might have had something wrong with the bottom of my heel but that was about it...but it wasn't a big comp...

competed on a jarred hip the other day, didn't feel a thing through the adrenalin!
i thought that was a myth!! i was kinda like 'wow' what i found out

I've competed on a fractured ankle and also a fractured wrist before. I broke two bones in my foot on floor at an Espoir competition and it was my first rotation but I competed the whole meet! I was strapped up so that my foot was like 3 times the size of my other one and had to be put on crutches for 6 weeks cos i damaged it more by competing on it :s

I didn't really COMPETE, but I did the year end show on a sprained wrist. Wasn't too bad though. It protested somewhat during tumbling but the brace and tape kept it from bothering me too much. What did make me do badly was that I hadn't been in the gym for a while 'cause I was resting it. Totally embarrassed myself on pretty much every event. LOL

Might be competing on a plantar wart this year though lol. Dumb things don't sound like that big of a deal, but they make beam quite painful :(

Last edited:
i didnt compete on anything serious. just ossgood shlatters(sorry if i spelled that wrong)
:)

well i have another story since we are talking about rips. i had a private lesson with one of the coaches and we were working on bars and i got a large blood blister and i asked her if a could just swing and rip it open, and a coach standing by was like what kind of question is that??? well i ripped it and that meet the next day i taped it and did one turn on the warm up set, my one touch warm up, then competed and got my second highest bars score haha

Last edited:
I've competed numerous times with injuries.
I've had your basic broken fingers and toes,
competed with torn acl,
tore the tendon in my calf,
dislocated shoulder---> i dislocated my shoulder in practice and instead of telling anyone and risking not being able to compete I just slammed my shoulder into the wall a couple times.
competed with three broken ribs, fractured foot
calcium deposits in both wrists, broken elbow (partially healed)
and some other stuff.
BUT
by far, the most excruciating pain I have EVER felt was when I competed with torn abs. I have NEVER felt pain like that before in my life, and I seriously suggest no one try that. lol.

I've competed with achilles tendonistis on both ankles, sore wrists and scoliosis at my most recent meet. (All at the same time.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back