MAG Competition Age Change?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Thestrugggleisreal

Proud Parent
I was just checking to see if USAG had any changes for this upcoming season. Am I reading this right? Have they changed the completion age to be by birth year? 2007= 13, 2006= 14, 2005= 15. I just want to make sure I understand this correctly because it does change things up a bit.
B4386A21-832C-4086-B5B3-46DB9E6B41B4.jpeg

It is not changing. We have talked to a couple of region people in different regions who repeated multiple times that there are no changes this season. ALl changes will happen next year.

Just seems strange USAG would post this for the 2020-2021 season. Confusing.

I think this was in the works before, and I am thinking since it is not highlighted, that is their way of indicating it is not changing this year. This document has been in the works for over a year I would think. It was an error, or else, not intended for parents (like us, who look things up). Coaches/region directors/state directors know taht there are no changes this season.

I understand that these changes are not occurring in 2020-2021 season. However as written in the document above it differs from what I’ve seen described here before. My son was born in 2007 and he competed as a 13 year old in 2019-2020. I thought that under the new rules he would have competed as a 14 year old in 2020-2021 since that is the age he would be on 12/31/2021. As written this doc suggests it would be his age on 12/31/2020 which does not seem to line up with FIG.

I understand that these changes are not occurring in 2020-2021 season. However as written in the document above it differs from what I’ve seen described here before. My son was born in 2007 and he competed as a 13 year old in 2019-2020. I thought that under the new rules he would have competed as a 14 year old in 2020-2021 since that is the age he would be on 12/31/2021. As written this doc suggests it would be his age on 12/31/2020 which does not seem to line up with FIG.

It does not, but they have a year to edit and revise.

Hey all, I can confirm that, at least in NJ, that it was communicated to us prior to the pandemic that the age changes were going into place next year. I saw the document today on USA Gymnastic's Website and I'll reach out for further clarification. I, for one, would be over the moon if this was the case. It would only help my athletes, especially in light of them being out of the gym for four months (We finally got back in the gym last week).

Hey all, I can confirm that, at least in NJ, that it was communicated to us prior to the pandemic that the age changes were going into place next year. I saw the document today on USA Gymnastic's Website and I'll reach out for further clarification. I, for one, would be over the moon if this was the case. It would only help my athletes, especially in light of them being out of the gym for four months (We finally got back in the gym last week).

On another site, this has been confirmed by region people in many regions. There are no changes this season :)

It does not, but they have a year to edit and revise.
Yeah this is upsetting to me. What this says is that whenever this change IS put into place, my May 2006 Bday son would go back to competing his actual age like he did before the last change, which to my understanding as well, is not what is happening, as much as he and his coach may wish it was. But I only know this because I have been haunting Chalkbucket for years. Frustrating of them to not only put this up when it is not happening until next year, but to also get the math wrong for when it does happen. This is going to confuse people.

Yeah this is upsetting to me. What this says is that whenever this change IS put into place, my May 2006 Bday son would go back to competing his actual age like he did before the last change, which to my understanding as well, is not what is happening, as much as he and his coach may wish it was. But I only know this because I have been haunting Chalkbucket for years. Frustrating of them to not only put this up when it is not happening until next year, but to also get the math wrong for when it does happen. This is going to confuse people.

It was an error. Not sure if it was scheduled to go up, or what. It did say changes were highlighted and that was not. And there are always errors in it. I am sure things will be figured out and fixed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back