Parents Competition Fees

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

e'smum

Proud Parent
Just curious if alcohol and paying for family to fly to a meet is allowed or if there is a law that prohibits alcohol and any charges not related to the competition (ie - flying kids and a parent).

TIA!

Wha?! Your gym includes alcohol and relative’s travel in comp fees? As I don’t even drink, and we can’t even afford for my husband to attend local meets.. well, that would be a hard no for me.

Reactions: sce
Did they give you meet fees that include a breakdown for their booze and family members to fly along?

I think you need to be more specific. Are you talking about paying these things for coaches and their families, or are you talking about the gymnast families?

I will say that at our gym, we just do a per diem. It is based on the federal per diem rates for each city. So, if a coach gets $54/day per diem, and uses some of that for a beer...so be it. But there is no budget for alcohol.

we get NO receipts, itemizations, ect.... we don't see what the meet fees include. and what they are saying ppl owe makes no sense. i am being told i owe more than one teammate who went to San Diego and we didn't go. i should get a credit.

How can you not see what meet fees include AND know that the meet fees include alcohol and family member travel?

How can you not see what meet fees include AND know that the meet fees include alcohol and family member travel?

well i have asked for receipts and put in there that they are to be for reasonable coaches only meet related expenses. my question was if they come back and say well you are also paying for X,Y and Z. like alcohol and family travel. i want to know if there are laws that prohibit this.

I will say that at our gym, we just do a per diem. It is based on the federal per diem rates for each city. So, if a coach gets $54/day per diem, and uses some of that for a beer...so be it. But there is no budget for alcohol.
i'm ok with that. but there is no per diem. there are no caps..... i'll just say that and leave it there. the parents have no say.

Wait, they charge you meet fees at the end of the season? And send you a bill? :confused: I would not like that.
2nd year in a row. and i'm feeling like we are being charged for vacations because of how it's being handled.

I think you need to be more specific. Are you talking about paying these things for coaches and their families, or are you talking about the gymnast families?
coaches.
what are reasonable fees/costs that comp fees are used for sort of thing.

We’ve been completely ripped off in the past. There was just no explaining away the amount they were charging for what we got. We left because it was an abusive environment, but probably would’ve ended up leaving over the finances too- but they went out of business about two months after we were gone. I think it is absolutely reasonable to ask for a generalized breakdown. I think things like per diem and reasonable travel/food/lodging costs are all expected. And nothing more. No coaches significant other’s travel, no alcohol, no first class or five star hotels, and no hidden mystery fees. A place that grossly overcharges me and mismanages my money isn’t a place we could stay long term because I wouldn’t have faith in the business.

We’ve been completely ripped off in the past. There was just no explaining away the amount they were charging for what we got. We left because it was an abusive environment, but probably would’ve ended up leaving over the finances too- but they went out of business about two months after we were gone. I think it is absolutely reasonable to ask for a generalized breakdown. I think things like per diem and reasonable travel/food/lodging costs are all expected. And nothing more. No coaches significant other’s travel, no alcohol, no first class or five star hotels, and no hidden mystery fees. A place that grossly overcharges me and mismanages my money isn’t a place we could stay long term because I wouldn’t have faith in the business.
i'm not feeling confident right now. i even gave them notice to immediately remove my credit card from file and no charges were to be made to it from now on. that i would be paying by check. this is leaving a really bad taste in my mouth.

We pay one set amount before the start of the season. Upper levels probably pay more, but I don't know. The amount seems reasonable to me so I've never questioned how they spend it. Your situation does not sound fair to parents or like a good business model.

So...we get charged our portion of:
Coach session fees
coach travel (airfare, rental car, hotel)
coach per diem based on the city they are in

When we are given our meets in the fall, we are given a breakdown of costs.

A gym should absolutely be able to provide you with the method they use to determine fees. It may not be broken down in an itemized list, but there has to be SOME method to determining the amount. And since it's your money, you have a right to see that.

I was the treasurer the past 2 years and I always handed out a line by line itemization of where assessments went and that was to cover all competition related expenses (entry fees, coaches travel, per diem etc).

sorry does your gym charge/pay fees or is it a booster club? I think that is one benefit of having a booster club involved, is hopefully better transparency and control.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back